Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

This is where Trev really screwed up. Frost needed to go last season and we would have had a new staff for this entire season.   I feel really bad for the players who have endured another difficult year.

There’s rumors out there.  This may  not have been 100% Trev’s call at the time or at minimum he had influence from high level boosters to keep Scott.  

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

45 minutes ago, Toe said:

[citation needed]

Again, why would it even matter at all? Maybe you missed it, but we've already added two new coaches to the staff in the middle of this regular season. Why would adding the new head coach to the staff be any different, from a rules standpoint? Only thing I can think of is that it could run afoul of the NCAA's limits on the number of coaches you can have on staff. If that's the case, you move Mike Cassano or Joey Connors back to analyst and sign the papers for your new HC so they can get started on recruiting ASAP.

Yes, you can only have 11 coaches (including the HC) on staff.  And analysts can't on field (practice or game) coach.  Remember the whole ST analyst kerfuffle that we had?  

If the powers that be are fine with us having 9 assistant coaches instead of 10, then by all means go for it.

Do you have any instances of a new coach being hired mid-season and starting to recruit?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

Yep, Trev seen the writing on the wall but he didn’t have the backing.  I’m guessing Trev thought we’d be at minimum a 5-6 win team and he’d have to make a decision from there but this season has obviously completely went off the rails at this point. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Decoy73 said:

There’s rumors out there.  This may  not have been 100% Trev’s call at the time or at minimum he had influence from high level boosters to keep Scott.  

I have heard the same thing. Trev had to take the bullet to prove them wrong and boy did he. Mickey was put in place for a reason and I am sure Mickey knew there was a good chance Frost would be gone when he took the job. That's why I feel the head coaching search truly began last offseason. Its super quiet because things have probably been resolved for some time now and anything we read or hear is probably just a smear campaign until after Iowa. 

• TBH 2

1 hour ago, huskerpower22 said:

Houston is the only team I can find that utilizes it. The difference is small but significant. In terms of the coaching hierarchy, associate coaches are one step above a normal assistant coach and one step below a head coach. This gives them quite a bit of power and if the team designates an associate coach, it does make them the true second in command in the locker room.

So I did find something to answer my own question. In 2019 LSU had Ed Orgeron as the Head Coach and Dave Aranda as the associate head coach/Defensive coordinator and Tommie Robinson as Assistant Head Coach/ Running game coordinator/ and Running backs coach. 

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And I hope they didn't settle on Campbell at that early stage!!

No doubt!

1 minute ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Did Helton start recruiting at Georgia Southern? Wasn't it you who pointed out that he was one of the rare exceptions of coaches who was named before the end of the regular season (11/2)?

Yes, he was named HC.  I don't know if he was recruiting or not.  

I hear it's going to be Aranda.  *Purely rumor* One of those 3 people removed, but the actual "source" would potentially be in a position to know.  Don't shoot the messenger.  Would make sense with nothing coming out, kids still committing and MJ still recruiting.  Maybe Aranda, Orgeron, MJ, BB, and OC to yet be guessed.  Who knows....

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 minutes ago, lo country said:

I hear it's going to be Aranda.  *Purely rumor* One of those 3 people removed, but the actual "source" would potentially be in a position to know.  Don't shoot the messenger.  Would make sense with nothing coming out, kids still committing and MJ still recruiting.  Maybe Aranda, Orgeron, MJ, BB, and OC to yet be guessed.  Who knows....

That’s where I am landing today as well. It just makes way too much sense from a fit and instant continuity standpoint. If Grimes doesn’t come with Aranda and takes a HC position somewhere I could see Joe Brady joining the staff to run a RPO offense like they did at LSU

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
12 minutes ago, lo country said:

This aint gonna happen. But man, it would fire me up.

13 minutes ago, lo country said:

i would be good with Aranda for sure...

• Plus1 1