Who should our next HC be?

2 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I'm not saying it's guaranteed that he would fail, but the odds and evidence don't point towards Deion having success here imo.

Right now he's essentially succeeding as a cheat code. At that level, with his brand name, he's able to do the one thing he's good at which is out-recruit everybody else in a low division (already an unfair fight), and then just use that massive talent gap to sleepwalk into wins against teams drastically outmatched (even more of an unfair fight). Those advantages would be drastically equalized at the P5 level and at a place like NU which is not in rich recruiting territory.

I basically see him as similar to that coach in the first two seasons of Last Chance U. 

I agree with you as its much tougher to lead and win at the P5 level.  Could he succeed...sure. But after the Frost failure, I am not sure fans are up for a coach that has not been a proven winner at the P5 level.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Deion would be a splash hire, but that would be it.  He is waiting for Florida St to come open.  If I were him, thats the job I would wait for.  He will have FSU in the top 15 in one season.  Recruiting is much easier when you can step out your back door and pick up 30 players who can run sub 4.4. 

• Fire 1

I don't get the enthusiasm for NC State coach Dave Doeren

Before he took over NC State, the Wolfpack went 9-4, 8-5, then 7-6.

Doeren takes the NC State HC job:

3-9 (0-8 conference) can't get worse than that in conf play

8-5 (3-5 conference) that isn't good

7-6 (3-5 conference) 3rd year - same s#!t diff year

7-6 (3-5 conference) 4th year (imagine this at Nebraska)

9-4 (6-2 conference) ok

9-4 (5-3 conference) meh ACC

4-8 (1-7 conference) hello? 7th year?

8-4 (7-3  conference) Pretty good in conf play

9-3 (6-2 conference) ACC down year - and ACC is awful

7-2 (3-2 conference) love those non-conf games!

32 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree with you as its much tougher to lead and win at the P5 level.  Could he succeed...sure. But after the Frost failure, I am not sure fans are up for a coach that has not been a proven winner at the P5 level.

Yes, seems like we tried that route before - hiring the hottest name on the board.   Let's get a guy who has proven himself on the P5 level or a guy like Chadwell who is a can't miss future P5 coach. 

10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, seems like we tried that route before - hiring the hottest name on the board.   Let's get a guy who has proven himself on the P5 level or a guy like Chadwell who is a can't miss future P5 coach. 

I just don’t understand this sentiment at all. They are two completely different people with backgrounds and identities. It’s a freaking crapshoot no matter what. But the odds of it working are obviously better with the hot name. Scott would have worked if he actually showed up and worked. 

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

How is Chadwell a "can't miss"?

You have literally zero proof he could assemble a B1G worthy offensive line.

Chadwell might have a good scheme, but Frost's scheme itself was pretty damn good.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned after the Deion rumors today.  Erick Strickland was on Lincoln radio early this afternoon, after he personally texted Deion Sanders.  Deion responded to Strick that "there is no truth" that Deion has accepted the NU job.

you think he'd tell a local media member that he got the job before it's released by the university?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, BoSolich said:

you think he'd tell a local media member that he got the job before it's released by the university?

I get your point, but if there was anything close to Deion being in talks with NU, Deion probably wouldn't have given the answer to Strickland that he did.  If Deion were in talks with NU, Deion probably would have responded "I can't tell you much right now, but I would appreciate it if you kept things quiet and not release anything" and Strickland wouldn't have said anything on the radio.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1