Who should our next HC be?

Mickey looked so bad yesterday.  Sad.  He looked like a sad man, beaten and lost, especially after Methuselah Whipple got sacked by Henning.  This whole thing uncorked a headline in today's paper about "an inconvenient truth," being that we looked no more able to compete in the Big Ten than we did four years ago when we were last at The Big House.

Lousy team.  Lousy coaches.  My advocacy for MJ is now whittled down to just the (strange to be true) racial aspect of it as MJ being Black as being a plus for Nebraska in general.  Any conversation about that would at some point include a question as to whether or not we're willing to sacrifice the program to an apparently unfit coach in order to uplift our social sensibilities into the modern era of understanding that there is more to American sports leadership than white people.  Ugh... where are we?  I feel lost and I want a good coach on mission to make us relevant in this conference and the nation.  

Hell, all of this conversation in this and other threads full of posts about who should be our next football HC are so meandering and marbled with that mix of hope and despair that all the threads and words seem like a sort of kaleidoscopic mirror of the football program itself:  lost.  I guess the lists of possible candidates are interesting, but we hear nothing much at all from those on those lists, with a few notable exceptions. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

29 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

We haven't put QBs in the NFL since the 70s, why start expecting to now? The Flexbone is simple, and we could get a lot of guys able to run it. It's actually one of the advantages the service academies have - if the starter goes down, the back-ups can still effectively run the offense because all of the pressure isn't on that position.

Right now we look completely lost without Thompson out there, because this offense requires a guy who is hard to find. And even then, I'm pretty sure Thompson has as many interceptions as he does touchdowns. 

We will never get the NFL-bound QBs. We need to focus on what we can recruit. Linemen and bruising running backs. 

The fan base wouldn’t be patient enough to get the pieces together to run the offense. I am all for some old school, grind up clock and yards offense. The other problem is they don’t have the strength and conditioning advantage that they use to. 

• Plus1 2

I'd cry tears of joy if it was Urban...I also think that Kiffin could do absolute damage in Lincoln right now with Mickey here as well. He would bring a much better staff and those two recruiting would be solid. Proven HC imo that would bring a lot of attention to Lincoln. My top 5 still remains the same...though no idea who has real mutual interest. 

1. Urban

2. Petersen

3. Kiffin 

4. Klieman

5. Fleck 

• Oh Yeah! 1

Stryker makes a good argument that we need to go back to being the old Nebraska again. The pass happy offense won’t work if we don’t control the lines. Nothing works without solid line play on D and on O.  We are deceiving ourselves if we think we can be like everyone else. It took the lion, the scarecrow, & the tin man a long journey to rediscover who they were. I hope Trev’s pick will end that journey— big name or not. 
Know Thy Self!

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/tad-stryker-no-nebraska-identity-no-chance-vs-michigan

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Stryker makes a good argument that we need to go back to being the old Nebraska again. The pass happy offense won’t work if we don’t control the lines. Nothing works without solid line play on D and on O.  We are deceiving ourselves if we think we can be like everyone else. It took the lion, the scarecrow, & the tin man a long journey to rediscover who they were. I hope Trev’s pick will end that journey— big name or not. 
Know Thy Self!

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/tad-stryker-no-nebraska-identity-no-chance-vs-michigan

Run or pass!  Neither will work if we do not improve our lines.  This starts with recruiting and strength & conditioning. .

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

Yes, we have made bowl games. But, even then I remember so many cases of 'who are we,' 'what's our identity?' And we didn't really have one. We had both pocket passers, dual-threats, and we tried to be a team that could do it all.  

But we couldn't. Starting with the lines, they were just never quite good enough, never enough practice time to be able to pass-block and bulldoze like teams in the top 10. Running backs that we expected to break tackles, pass-block, jump-cut, and have soft hands out of the backfield. Hard to find. We recruited hundreds of 4 and 5 star receivers, but very few elite guys came, most not seeing the ball enough for their liking anyway.

My argument is that a guy like Monken gives you an identity right away, and there's no question as what we're all about. Sure, we'd lose a lot to the portal initially, but something tells me that will happen anyway. 3 straight 3-win seasons can do that. 

We start with making a bowl, and keep building. Contend for the West, and punish the conference for having small defenders they have to recruit to keep up with Ohio State and everyone's spread game. 

We've tried everything else, why not go back?

From what I've heard in past hirings Monken won't run what he is running now at a new gig. Even he knows the limitations of the offense. And might the offensive struggles be because they haven't found an identity and focused solely on building that identity? Even Frost came in with one identity but then started tinkering with it and didn't fully commit to it.

Listening to Mike'l Severe's show on 1620 this morning, and he commented that a new coach must do the following 3 things to rebuild a team.

1) Have an identity/gospel that the entire team must be built around.  This can't just be offensive or defensive identity, it has to be the entire program.

2) The coach must recruit players which fit that identity. The talent and development needs to match the identity.

3) The coach must rebuild the culture, and make it a culture of winning. Severe thinks that this is the most challenging thing to do, and I agree with him.  This is the most intangible aspect of creating a winning program, and requires buy-in and acceptance of the culture throughout the team.

Yes we have lacked an identity for 20 years now.  Solich was the last coach who we had that we all could say that this program had an identity with.  Callahan didnt build one, Pelini built a negative one based on his demeanor, and Riley.......Frost built a losing one. 

Aranda is not a good coach for rebuilding this program.  Rhule rebuilt Baylor, and now that his recruits are starting to leave, Aranda is losing momentum.  I watched KSU throttle them last night.  That game had players who looked like they could care less to be on the field.  KSU is not 28 points better than them.  Could this be because Aranda might be leaving?  Don't know.  But I am not a fan of him as my top choice.  He is a good name, but does not have that wow factor we need to shake up the recruiting world.  That coach might not be out there that wants this job currently, but to me its not Aranda. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1