Who should our next HC be?

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

I have it on good authority that if he throws a single forward pass he will be fired on the spot.

As long as he goes for it on fourth down deep in our on territory down 7 early in the second quarter every time I'm good with it.  Gotta score and not ever play field position especially if you have an offense that's can't move the ball.  Great minds and all.

1 hour ago, Osbourneite said:

Matt Rhule is 31-10 from his 3rd season onward.

20-7 at Temple.

11-3 at Baylor.

His turned the ship around at 2 programs. A historically bad one and a scandal ridden one. 

I'd be delighted if he's announced as the new HC. 

I'd be happy to get Rhule. I think it's more likely to go like it always does with most coaches telling us they're not interested.

6 hours ago, Husker816 said:

BTW during his time at Baylor while he might not have beaten a ranked team despite being a few years removed from one of the biggest scandals in college sports he did beat plenty of teams with winning records. To look at current day Nebraska and pretend we are above that is laughable.

And also, he played those ranked teams with the previous coach's players.  By the time his classes made it to the first team, Aranda was using them to win the Big 12.   No doubt, if Rhule had stayed, he'd have his ranked team wins and probably a couple of Big 12 championships. 

2 hours ago, Scarlet said:

As long as he goes for it on fourth down deep in our on territory down 7 early in the second quarter every time I'm good with it.  Gotta score and not ever play field position especially if you have an offense that's can't move the ball.  Great minds and all.

So if you have an offense that is struggling the answer is to punt it away so you get worse field position when you get it back?  Good strategy.  

Leaving aside that the analytics say you should pretty much always go for it on 4th and 1, we punted from our 33.  When we got the ball back we had it on our 20 and punted from the 27.  So we were losing the field position battle by punting.

And the way you win as a big underdog is not by playing it safe.  It's by trying to be aggressive.

Thanks for the personal attack though.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So if you have an offense that is struggling the answer is to punt it away so you get worse field position when you get it back?  Good strategy.  

Leaving aside that the analytics say you should pretty much always go for it on 4th and 1, we punted from our 33.  When we got the ball back we had it on our 20 and punted from the 27.  So we were losing the field position battle by punting.

And the way you win as a big underdog is not by playing it safe.  It's by trying to be aggressive.

Thanks for the personal attack though.

I think it was evident to me pretty early in this game that they were playing not to get blown out and Harbaugh was nice enough to play along.  I mean either way running the ball and the clock was a good strategy for them but I never felt like we had any intentions of actually winning this game after the first quarter.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Farms said:

I think it was evident to me pretty early in this game that they were playing not to get blown out and Harbaugh was nice enough to play along.  I mean either way running the ball and the clock was a good strategy for them but I never felt like we had any intentions of actually winning this game after the first quarter.

There’s a few problems with this. Harbaugh didn’t “play along”. He did what they needed to do to win. Yep, with this team all it took was some vanilla running the ball and grinding us down. As for our intentions, I’m quite certain MJ and the team “wanted” to win. There’s a problem with that though, you have to be good enough to actually do it. We’re not.

• Plus1 1

If the Rhulemors (see what I did there ;)) are true, we can't be surprised considering Trev's criteria.  He wanted an experienced coach that can develop players.  From what I've heard, the criticisms on Rhule don't have any drama to them, they're just folks complaining they didn't get the coach they wanted despite them having zero control over the process.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3
8 hours ago, Husker816 said:

He won 10 games 3X seasons, sent guys to the NFL, won bowl games, made it to the Sugar Bowl, and devleoped players all while doing it and BTW he has beaten ranked teams at Temple. I guess Nebraska is too good for that. What is this? 2003 again? 

He has a .187 win record against ranked teams at like 3-13, and has a .250 bowl record. If this impresses you.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

If the Rhulemors (see what I did there ;)) are true, we can't be surprised considering Trev's criteria.  He wanted an experienced coach that can develop players.  From what I've heard, the criticisms on Rhule don't have any drama to them, they're just folks complaining they didn't get the coach they wanted despite them having zero control over the process.

The criticisms are from those who think Kiffin and Urban are duelling over the job. As if Trev hasn't offered them the job lol 

Or those of the 'just promote Mickey', ffs hes never been a coordinator, let alone a HC plus he got rejected from Southern University lmao. Trev knows he'll be sent packing if the hire is a bust. 

• Plus1 1