Who should our next HC be?

Just now, Husker816 said:

You're right we should keep Mickey Joesph he's demonstrated alot /s

I've never said we should keep Mickey as HC, just saying that the Rhule hire would be underwhelming. I'd expect a coach that can be over .500 against rank teams/bowl games.

3 minutes ago, Osbourneite said:

Yeah his 11-3, #12 ranking impresses me a lot. 

When was the last time we ranked that high?

Mike Riley had us ranked at # 7 in his second year with  a 7-0 start and then he started to lose games to end up 9-4.   This was the last year we were 'respectable'. 

2016 saw improvement as the team began the season with seven straight wins and reached number 7 in the AP Poll, and finished 9–4 overall after losses to Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa, and Tennessee in the Music City Bowl.

1 minute ago, YetiJR said:

Were the Oklahoma x2 and Georgia losses what impressed you? Isn't this why we fired Pelini, because he couldn't win the big games? 

Because 3-9 is better than 9-3 with a ranked loss or two?

Yes, that is one of the reasons Pelini was fired. But, if you haven’t noticed, we haven’t been anywhere near winning 8 or 9 or 10 in a long time. Maybe we should try that before we worry about some ancient losses to ranked teams in different circumstances.

• TBH 4

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Mike Riley had us ranked at # 7 in his second year with  a 7-0 start and then he started to lose games to end up 9-4.   This was the last year we were 'respectable'. 

2016 saw improvement as the team began the season with seven straight wins and reached number 7 in the AP Poll, and finished 9–4 overall after losses to Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa, and Tennessee in the Music City Bowl.

*Wins over 1-11 Fresno State, 4-8 Oregon, 8-6 Wyoming, 3-9 Illinois, 3-9 Purdue, 7-6 Northwestern, a decent 9-4 Minnesota, 6-7 Maryland, and 6-7 Indiana. Lost to a solid Wisconsin team, and then got blasted by Ohio State and an 8-5 Iowa. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, YetiJR said:

I've never said we should keep Mickey as HC, just saying that the Rhule hire would be underwhelming. I'd expect a coach that can be over .500 against rank teams/bowl games.

Well we better rename our football field - take Tom's name of of it. 

Osborne finished his coaching career with a bowl record of 12–13.

But he did better against ranked teams but not as well against top 10

Team records  (Current IA Teams) ranked by % vs opponents that were ranked in top 10 at game time,  AP or Coaches Polls.    Years 1973-1997 (min. 10 games vs teams ranked in top 10 at game time).

Source (for chart below)  -  cfbtrivia.com
   Great site for information

1   Notre Dame          0.55797     38    30     1     69
 2   Michigan            0.54902     27    22     2     51
 3   USC                 0.52778     28    25     1     54
 4   Alabama             0.51923     27    25     0     52
 5   Penn St.            0.50877     29    28     0     57
 6   Florida St.         0.50000     29    29     1     59
 7   Oklahoma            0.48305     27    29     3     59
 8   Nebraska            0.46667     28    32     0     60

https://sites.google.com/site/nebraskafootballhistory/osborne--page-3--record-vs-teams-ranked-end-of-year

eam records  (Current IA Teams) ranked by % vs opponents that were ranked in final polls, AP or Coaches.    Years 1973 -1997  (minimum 20 games vs teams that finished ranked in final polls)

Source (for chart below)  .cfbtrivia.com    Great site for information

1   Nebraska          0.58081      57     41      1      99
  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

The 'no wins against ranked team' and ' we can do better' argument makes my blood boil.

1. Urban already said his wife was pissed they had to leave Columbus for florida (jags tenure). You think his family would be happy to move to Lincoln?

2. Kiffin won't leave the SEC (most fertile recruiting area) for the big10 West. Plus, Ole Miss (a very wealthy program) will match anything Nebraska offers in $.

3. Mickey inexperienced and got rejected from Southern University. Trev won't risk his own job to see Mickey fail.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, GSG said:

*Wins over 1-11 Fresno State, 4-8 Oregon, 8-6 Wyoming, 3-9 Illinois, 3-9 Purdue, 7-6 Northwestern, a decent 9-4 Minnesota, 6-7 Maryland, and 6-7 Indiana. Lost to a solid Wisconsin team, and then got blasted by Ohio State and an 8-5 Iowa. 

I know you're just adding context, but each and every one of us would throw someone off a bridge for that record this year. 

• Plus1 1