Who should our next HC be?

5 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

So did Mike Riley and before him, Bill Callahan ... The HC needs a strong staff to be successful regardless of what level they're coaching at. Rhule's success will only go as far as his staff. Coaching at this level is (and must be) a cutthroat job. Head coaches need to learn they're loyalty to staff's must be tied to success on the field. I like MJ because he showed he can put his personal friendship aside and make hard decisions. If Rhule is our new HC and he, like Callahan, like Riley, like Frost can't/won't keep sound, successful staffs then he too will fail. If the staff's go out to recruit players to come in and compete then coaches should also know they also can be replaced. 

I think this has been an Achilles heel at NU for quite some time.  One side or the other, (or position coach) was such a weak link that no amount of HC could correct.  Need a solid staff from top to bottom.

And it's easier coaching a guy at the college level trying to get to the pros than a multi-millionaire that's in the pros.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I get you. I think Rhule is the best guy we could get right now. And that isn’t saying anybody better would turn us down. He’s been at the top of my list ever since Carolina fired him. Urban Meyer is maybe better but I don’t believe he was going anywhere (maybe Notre Dame at some time in the future) and Rhule has him beat by a mile on the ethics front. IMO this is the absolute best hire we could’ve made.

And I’m not worried about the ranked wins thing. @Mavric has addressed why that isn’t a concern. People also forget that Pelini was plenty satisfied with 9 wins and showed no desire to get beyond the 1-2 embarrassing blowouts that was part of the deal. Rhule does not strike me as the type to “settle in” to 9 wins being enough.

I agree. Like I mentioned earlier, I think the NFL dirtied up his resume. If he stays at Baylor (no offense to Aranda) IMO he would be considered elite at this point. We could be getting a bargain discount on a top 10 coach. That’s the upside we need to pay attention to here. Plus when it comes to recruiting it sounds like the coaches in Texas love him. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

So did Mike Riley and before him, Bill Callahan ... The HC needs a strong staff to be successful regardless of what level they're coaching at. Rhule's success will only go as far as his staff. Coaching at this level is (and must be) a cutthroat job. Head coaches need to learn they're loyalty to staff's must be tied to success on the field. I like MJ because he showed he can put his personal friendship aside and make hard decisions. If Rhule is our new HC and he, like Callahan, like Riley, like Frost can't/won't keep sound, successful staffs then he too will fail. If the staff's go out to recruit players to come in and compete then coaches should also know they also can be replaced. 

Why the rant? Do you have proof he wont or you just mad your favorite coach might not get hired? 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Why the rant? Do you have proof he wont or you just mad your favorite coach might not get hired? 

It's not so much that his favorite coach might get hired, but someone that will pull us out of the pit of despair and mediocrity...

In 500+ pages there's not been really anybody that I think has the ability to do that.  Right now Trev is just hiring a placeholder until an amazing coaching prospect magically drops in our laps.  (which chances are slim and none of actually occuring)

Why don't we take the Colts approach, hire somebody coaching at the high school level in Valentine, Ord, Norfolk, etc., and hire them.  Could it be any worse than it is right now?

• Haha 1

Trev will certainly help.  I’m gonna guess, IF Rhule is the one, that several existing staff will be retained.  He doesn’t necessarily have a current staff to draw from at this point.  He knows plenty surely.  And he’s likely had time to watch current staff work.  

This is one of the advantages Trev kept by not rushing to grab somebody right away. He wanted a thorough search. He wanted time to evaluate, study etc. And to give prospects time to think about and study as well.  Only get one shot so take the time, research, ponder, etc.  And probably contacts with assistants’ agents etc.  

I thinking/hoping a staff come together quickly, especially the coordinators and any defensive coaching changes.  Busch is doing an amazing job imo.  I’d say he deserves consideration for a coach of the year award by somebody.  

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

You are absolutely correct.... not necessarily you, but others who don't like Rhule, can they give examples of not being like MJ?  I prefer MJ, but if it is Rhule, I can get behind it.  I don't want to hear about lack of wins vs ranked opponents.  I have had that discussion earlier.

1 minute ago, walksalone said:

It's not so much that his favorite coach might get hired, but someone that will pull us out of the pit of despair and mediocrity...

In 500+ pages there's not been really anybody that I think has the ability to do that.  Right now Trev is just hiring a placeholder until an amazing coaching prospect magically drops in our laps.  (which chances are slim and none of actually occuring)

Why don't we take the Colts approach, hire somebody coaching at the high school level in Valentine, Ord, Norfolk, etc., and hire them.  Could it be any worse than it is right now?

If you haven't seen a coaching name in the 500 pages on this thread that you think can help turn the bus around then that speaks more for your personality than on the coaching candidates. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 5
2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Trev will certainly help.  I’m gonna guess, IF Rhule is the one, that several existing staff will be retained.  He doesn’t necessarily have a current staff to draw from at this point.  He knows plenty surely.  And he’s likely had time to watch current staff work.  

This is one of the advantages Trev kept by not rushing to grab somebody right away. He wanted a thorough search. He wanted time to evaluate, study etc. And to give prospects time to think about and study as well.  Only get one shot so take the time, research, ponder, etc.  And probably contacts with assistants’ agents etc.  

I thinking/hoping a staff come together quickly, especially the coordinators and any defensive coaching changes.  Busch is doing an amazing job imo.  I’d say he deserves consideration for a coach of the year award by somebody.  

I don't agree with this at all.  If it's Rhule, he may retain Joseph and maybe one or two others.  Rhule has plenty of experience and connections where he will bring in guys he is familiar with.  Just because he doesn't have a "current" staff, doesn't mean he will retain a lot of the current NU assistants.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, huskerpower22 said:

If you haven't seen a coaching name in the 500 pages on this thread that you think can help turn the bus around then that speaks more for your personality than on the coaching candidates. 

That I'm a realist?

Thank you, I appreciate your candor...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If it is Rhule and somehow he is able to keep MJ.....recruiting will have an uptick.  Rhule is extremely popular in the Texas High schools

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I appreciate your love for Busch and I appreciate what he doing in a bad situation but coach of the year? We are tied for 98th in the country in scoring defense right next to Colorado St and Eastern Michigan

image.thumb.png.623839846b2adce741ed1b56276fad98.png

18 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Rant????

I only stated truth..

Mike Riley had NFL head coaching experience at San Diego

Bill Callahan with Oakland

both fired as NFL head coaches that prior to were highly regarded just like Rhule.

My point was, the staff is the glue to success.

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't agree with this at all.  If it's Rhule, he may retain Joseph and maybe one or two others.  Rhule has plenty of experience and connections where he will bring in guys he is familiar with.  Just because he doesn't have a "current" staff, doesn't mean he will retain a lot of the current NU assistants.

That’s what I said I believe.