Who should our next HC be?

53 minutes ago, admo said:

:lol: Probably going to be an OC/DC with no HC experience.  Which then makes NO sense.  But it is believable for sure.

I hope I am wrong, but I think it will Bill O'Brien.  :(  

And hear how great he was in 2012 with Penn State.  Big Ten guy.  OC at Alabama.  NFL experience.  Blah Blah Blah.

But how can it be --- we haven't had any breaking news tweets about BOB. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Isn't Rhule a career .500 coach who flamed out of the NFL?

Maybe it'll work this time.

Well, if you want to feel slightly better about it, I think this is a glass mostly empty perspective. In college, he took over a bad Temple program and a s#!tshow Baylor program. He had them both notching double digit wins when he left and he accomplished it in three seasons at both.

The NFL flame out is a black eye but less relevant than relevant to his collegiate prospects. A lot of the Carolina failings had more to do with mistakes off the field and with roster management moreso than his abilities as a head coach. And it is very tough to compare NFL roster management to collegiate roster management. The two are different in just about every conceivably significant way, and Carolina management was just as culpable in contributing to those errors as Rhule was.

Anyways, sorry, didn't mean to rain on any pity parties.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Well, if you want to feel slightly better about it, I think this is a glass mostly empty perspective. In college, he took over a bad Temple program and a s#!tshow Baylor program. He had them both notching double digit wins when he left and he accomplished it in three seasons at both.

The NFL flame out is a black eye but less relevant than relevant to his collegiate prospects. A lot of the Carolina failings had more to do with mistakes off the field and with roster management moreso than his abilities as a head coach. And it is very tough to compare NFL roster management to collegiate roster management. The two are different in just about every conceivably significant way, and Carolina management was just as culpable in contributing to those errors as Rhule was.

Could Rhule be named today and we can change it to like rain on your wedding day?  Asking for a friend.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, lo country said:

What if Rhule was coming in to meet with MJ about being the OC?  Dude doesn't need money.  Get the O clicking and rebuild his post Panther's mage....Guys have and continue to rebuild resume at Bama.  Granted that's Bama, but starnger things have happened...

What appeals to me about Rhule is his ability to identify and develop players and those that might be underestimated. And, the type of offense that he runs. It sounds like when he left Baylor they were one of the fastest teams then. We could sure use some team speed. We've got to do a better job in the areas of recruitment and development. 

I was reading that one of the contributors to his struggle at the Panthers was being too involved with position coaches coaching. We don't know how accurate or what the extent of it was. For whatever reason, it didn't seem to be an issue for him in college.

It's probably a stretch that he'd consider being OC. Perhaps he could step away from head coaching for a few years that way and still be coaching. It wouldn't necessarily be Joseph being the HC in that scenario. I've heard that we're going to make a commitment to help the hire have a highly qualified group of assistants. We'll see.   

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I started with being generous by calling him a career .500 coach, and ended by contemplating the possibility of it working.  Pity party, indeed.

15 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I hear Rhule is nearly a done deal but negotiating the line of smocks. The university has signed off on most but Rhule really wants the “Smock U” and “Smock Off” editions.  They are more edgy. The Blackshirts will have a Blacksmocks edition, really cool design with the skeleton throwing the bones in a vest outfit. I really like it. 

Lmao this guy...

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, M.A. said:

What appeals to me about Rhule is his ability to identify and develop players and those that might be underestimated. And, the type of offense that he runs. It sounds like when he left Baylor they were one of the fastest teams then. We could sure use some team speed. We've got to do a better job in the areas of recruitment and development. 

I was reading that one of the contributors to his struggle at the Panthers was being too involved with position coaches coaching. We don't know how accurate or what the extent of it was. For whatever reason, it didn't seem to be an issue for him in college.

It's probably a stretch that he'd consider being OC. Perhaps he could step away from head coaching for a few years that way and still be coaching. It wouldn't necessarily be Joseph being the HC in that scenario. I've heard that we're going to make a commitment to help the hire have a highly qualified group of assistants. We'll see.   

I would like to us get many of those Texas recruits at schools where he developed deep relations ships wt the HS coaches.   Open up the Texas market again for us. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

But how can it be --- we haven't had any breaking news tweets about BOB. 

Oh, no don't listen to me lol.  I am just putting out an opinion that I think could happen.  As if, other candidates back out after the initial idea of coaching here, and BOB is hungry for a HC job, with a little bit of roots in the B1G footprint.  That and our history of hiring head coaches is not impressive over the past 25 years.  So I wouldn't be shocked.  I would laugh though.  Then cry lol.

OK Everyone - who do you think in your gut Trev will selection as HC?

I'm not asking who you want it to be but who do you think Trev will ultimately pick?

One of the options is  - A surprise coach that we haven't discussed.

Me:  I'm going to drink the kool-aide :koolaid2:and go all in on Matt Rhule.     I know we have a flavor of the week going on here for some time.  But there seems to be a lot of media play on Rhule this time around.   So that is who I think Trev will hire.  He wasn't my first pick, but I'd be happy with him. 

Note: This post is made with the purpose of getting us to 800 posts on this thread by the time Trev announces. :cheers

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I'm not asking who you want it to be but who do you think Trev will ultimately pick?

Me:  I'm going to drink the kool-aide :koolaid2:and go all in on Matt Rhule.     I know we have a flavor of the week going on here for some time.  But there seems to be a lot of media play on Rhule this time around.   So that is who I think Trev will hire.  He wasn't my first pick, but I'd be happy with him. 

Note: This post is made with the purpose of getting us to 800 posts on this thread by the time Trev announces. :cheers

The Rhule rumors got me thinking it's him... Rumors haven't been this hot for anyone else.

However, a week ago I was 60% sure it would be Kiffin... If he beat Alabama, it would have went down to nearly 0%; but since he lost (and will likely not win the SEC West) I felt there was a better chance that he dips.

20 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I still think in the end, Mickey gets the temp title removed. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1