Who should our next HC be?

2 hours ago, admo said:

Point is, You don't dump a chick if you don't have one lined up right away (wisdom).

I don't agree with the analogy...  those first few weeks being single were some of the best.

That said,  I think Trev likely had strong interest in a coach or coaches but there really is no way to have one "lined up" in this industry. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

7 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I don't agree with the analogy...  those first few weeks being single were some of the best.

That said,  I think Trev likely had strong interest in a coach or coaches but there really is no way to have one "lined up" in this industry. 

True but I wonder if he does have a coach picked and how long did it actually take to court him? Beginning part of season, phone call mid season or no courting at all? 

4 hours ago, M.A. said:

Rhule's wife Julie is tough. If she can weather losing her mom after fighting cancer for five years and a sister dying in the TWA flight explosion, I'd say she can handle most anything.

The two met during college at a Chili's where she worked as a waitress and he in the kitchen. 

4 hours ago, M.A. said:

Rhule understands the value of being mentally tough and humbleness. This is a guy that carried a dogeared copy of Jack Tatum's book They Call Me Assassin around as a kid and he helped his family feed those in need that didn't have food to eat. 

You writing a biography of a coach we haven't even hired yet?

4 hours ago, M.A. said:

These aren't coaches wives. They're a group of psychotherapists that are really beginning to question the sanity of a large segment of our fan base!  :D

*Edit: Me included 

See above.  :lol:

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, admo said:

I don't believe it will be Rhule, so prepare yourself.

Why would Trev Alberts fire a coach 3 games into the season, while Matt Rhule is still coaching in the NFL, if he was his #1 target? 

Point is, You don't dump a chick if you don't have one lined up right away (wisdom).

So when he fired Frost after 3 games, he had to know who his replacement was at that time, while keeping it under wraps.  

We might be circling back to Matt Campbell.  I still feel Bill O'Brien might have been the guy who was considered (he's an OC and can talk about HC jobs during season, no biggie). 

I seriously doubt it is Rhule, no matter how much steam is picking up.  

Lane would be amazing, but we all know that.  And a home run hire.  Part of me wants to wish it's him so badly.  Otherwise, we got to be honest here.

If its BoB, Saban will drive him to Lincoln and dump him outside Trev's office himself. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

7 hours ago, admo said:

I don't believe it will be Rhule, so prepare yourself.

Why would Trev Alberts fire a coach 3 games into the season, while Matt Rhule is still coaching in the NFL, if he was his #1 target? 

So when he fired Frost after 3 games, he had to know who his replacement was at that time, while keeping it under wraps.  

We might be circling back to Matt Campbell.  I still feel Bill O'Brien might have been the guy who was considered (he's an OC and can talk about HC jobs during season, no biggie). 

I seriously doubt it is Rhule, no matter how much steam is picking up.  

Lane would be amazing, but we all know that.  And a home run hire.  Part of me wants to wish it's him so badly.  Otherwise, we got to be honest here.

After the first 2 weeks of the NFL season, everyone and their dog knew Rhule was getting canned. 

7 hours ago, admo said:

Matt Campbell.

Look it this way.  Trev laid out a plan for his football program this past offseason and for xHCSF.  Then terminated him 3 games into the year.

- Going into 2022 KU Lance Leipold was not on anyone's radar.  

- Going into 2022 KSU Chris Klieman had 3 years of P5 with conference record of 5-4, 4-5, 4-5.

- Patterson was forced retired and done with it (HC).

- Chadwell has success at G5, but we know the competition, toughness, speed, athleticism is not nearly the same as P5 Big Ten Football or SEC or even ACC.  

- Sanders isn't even coaching against FCS, G5, P5 teams that are way more talented and scheme and play bigger and faster.

- Monken is military.  No offense to the Army.

- Malzahn is at UCF - and we just went through that with Frost

- Aranda is coming off a Big 12 title championship.  Maybe he benefited from some of Rhule's players, but still.  There may have been some off season talks.

- Kiffin will talk and listen.  But he will do whatever he wants to do, whenever he wants to do it.  There may have been some off season talks.

- Rhule was entrenched into the NFL.  If Rhule takes the Husker job, it's because Rhule lost his job at NFL and Trev Alberts never had a guy in place until then.  Nope.  Nobody willing to take the job until he did.  Which is like playing dice in the streets.  Or someone coming along to luckily save the day (and save face).

I agree with all of this. Matt Campbell was Trev’s #1 target going into this season. So did he do an about face when the script flipped this season on MC and Rhule became available? Hmmm. There’s so much smoke around Rhule at this point it’s hard to think it won’t be him but my gut is still telling me otherwise. Lane seems like a pipe dream but it’s a very similar comparison to Lincoln Riley bolting for USC last year. I would love if Trev could pull off the unthinkable..

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, admo said:

I’m not dumping my girlfriend because I don’t have one lined up?  Never heard that before.  

The girlfriend gets dumped because it’s no working.  You’re not keeping her around until you find a new model.

Trev knew he needed something else.  I’m sure he had an idea, but I doubt it was much more than that.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

1 minute ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Could be. Wonder who was scheduled to visit? Seems odd the new guy would take one look at the list and say, "nah I don't want any of these spares...tell them all not to waste their time coming here for a visit"

It could also be a measure to not have anything leak out on who the next head coach is. Plus, how are the current assistant coaches going to go through recruiting and showing off the school and program, when they know there is a good chance they are fired in another week. 

2 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’m not dumping my girlfriend because I don’t have one lined up?  Never heard that before.  

The girlfriend gets dumped because it’s no working.  You’re not keeping her around until you find a new model.

Trev knew he needed something else.  I’m sure he had an idea, but I doubt it was much more than that.

I’m with you on this one. I don’t get the thought of “you don’t fire the head coach unless you have a better one lined up.”  I have always been a 2-step process guy. You fire the coach because that coach isn’t performing up to standards. Then you go out and hire a new coach with the goal of having it work out long-term. 

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

He was conducting some research. Looking into potential options. He hadn't asked for a "date" though. He didn't know who he wanted yet. Only what he was looking for in a coach. Observing potential targets.