Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

I find it interesting reading all of these takes about how Trev is doing such a good job and "I trust Trev!".  He has yet to hire any coach, let's see what happens.  This is more of the "I love former Huskers at all costs" mentality I feel like.  Same with Mickey and the "we must keep him for recruiting!".  He recruits WR primarily, which will not help us at all if we don't have Big Ten quality lines.  Does he recruit OL and DL too? If not, then it doesn't matter folks. 

You should trust Trev, he has not given you a reason not to. Besides, this has been on every level an amazing coaching search. We are 60+ days in and no one has a clue. Even when the hire is made we cannot judge the hire until year 2. I know I am anti-pessimist but its true. One could never a have a meaningful relationship with anyone if you always think they are going to cheat on you. You have to give it a chance.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, it's not.  It's that Trev has always been professional, organized and willing and able to make tough decisions that ultimately are in the best interest of the organization he's running.

7 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

You should trust Trev, he has not given you a reason not to. Besides, this has been on every level an amazing coaching search. We are 60+ days in and no one has a clue. Even when the hire is made we cannot judge the hire until year 2. I know I am anti-pessimist but its true. One could never a have a meaningful relationship with anyone if you always think they are going to cheat on you. You have to give it a chance.

9 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

You aren't being fair with this. If you can not look at Trev's body of work at UNO and the professionalism at which he handled himself there and combine it with the professionalism and intelligence he has displayed so far since coming on at UNL, you are intentionally choosing not to.

I'd like to see what he does at a large P5 institution first before I declare he is doing a great job, I don't feel that is wrong to have a wait an see approach.  It is ok to want to see this hire before making a judgement and feeling like you must defend him already.   All of your quick responses don't exactly refute the "we love former Huskers" thought process, just saying.  I am sure you will reply more at me to disprove my take again though. :)

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

This has been the consensus coming out of agent/coaching circles. 

• Plus1 3

Just now, runningblind said:

I'd like to see what he does at a large P5 institution first before I declare he is doing a great job, I don't feel that is wrong.  All of your quick responses don't exactly refute the "we love former Huskers" thought process, just saying.  I am sure you will reply more at me to disprove my take again though. :)

Not attacking ya brotha like I said I am anti-pessimist so I don't share your thoughts on this one. I don't consider him a former Husker I consider him a professional who has earned his way to a D1 school. If being a Husker mattered I would want Mickey as Head Coach and I don't. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Not attacking ya brotha like I said I am anti-pessimist so I don't share your thoughts on this one. I don't consider him a former Husker I consider him a professional who has earned his way to a D1 school. If being a Husker mattered I would want Mickey as Head Coach and I don't. 

That's fair, but there is a difference between being pessimistic and realistic.  Me simply wanting to watch how he performs when hiring for Nebraska doesn't make me a pessimist.  Past performance does not guarantee future results. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, runningblind said:

I find it interesting reading all of these takes about how Trev is doing such a good job.  He has yet to hire any coach, let's see what happens.  This is more of the "I love former Huskers at all costs" mentality I feel like.  Same with Mickey and the "we must keep him for recruiting!".  He recruits WR primarily, which will not help us at all if we don't have Big Ten quality lines.  Does he recruit OL and DL too? If not, then it doesn't matter folks. 

This doesn't give an impression of being a haphazard search. It seems very well organized and thought through. I think that's one of the reasons for Trev's search being encouraging. That it's taking longer seems to be a cause for doubt for some. 

There's no question that what you're saying has merit. I've been told several times when inquiring about who the next coach should be where the responses are something along the lines of, "Let's just hire Mickey", "Let's give Mickey a chance", or "He's one of us, Mickey know's Nebraska". 

None of the candidates should be given anything. It has to be what they've demonstrated, earned, how they fit, what their plans are that they want to execute, and how they'll go about it among other considerations. Mickey understands this. He's not a me first person. It'll always be about the players, the team. 

It's not for or against Mickey question. It's whether he's the very best option available for us that we can acquire to serve as head coach to most effectively lead our team for achieving our aims.  

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It is ok to want to see this hire before making a judgement and feeling like you must defend him already.   All of your quick responses don't exactly refute the "we love former Huskers" thought process, just saying.  I am sure you will reply more at me to disprove my take again though. :)

I'm going to wait until I see the results of this hire a few years down the road but I realize most will pass final judgement immediately and many will go into full attack mode before the guy even starts if their favorite isn't hired.

And compared to the parade of clowns that passed through AD position since Byrne left in 2002 TA looks like the best AD in the history of college sports.

• Haha 1
Just now, Dogs In A Pile said:

I'm going to wait until I see the results of this hire a few years down the road but I realize most will pass final judgement immediately and many will go into full attack mode before the guy even starts if their favorite isn't hired.

And compared to the parade of clowns that passed through AD position since Byrne left in 2002 TA looks like the best AD in the history of college sports.

Facts 

Trusting Trev, or the coach he selects, is still a crapshoot in a few important ways.  Very good people often fail, at least temporarily.  Some even fully in ways that do not reflect their background.  The people brought in here next will be up against one hell of a bunch of issues.  Many have failed since that first couple of cycles after T.O. left.  Some say a couple of them just needed more time.  The arguments about that have never been resolved one way or another, as far as I can see.

I'm hoping for a coach who has at least one thing in his background (and even if so it can still be a crapshoot):  He went into a program that was not just faltering but was completely lost, and he righted it over time and made it into a contender.  Scott Frost seemed to fit that scenario a bit, but we'd have to have a conversation about just how bad UCF was doing prior to his coming there. 

Sounds like the invitations to the introductory press conference have been sent out to the big money boosters. No date and time set, but apparently it'll be a short notice thing.

• Fire 2
25 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I'd like to see what he does at a large P5 institution first before I declare he is doing a great job, I don't feel that is wrong to have a wait an see approach.  It is ok to want to see this hire before making a judgement and feeling like you must defend him already.   All of your quick responses don't exactly refute the "we love former Huskers" thought process, just saying.  I am sure you will reply more at me to disprove my take again though. :)

Sure.  But, the biggest part of the AD job here is how he does the search, who he's talking to and who he's listening to.  That's all he can do as far as trying to make the best decision.  Then, how he manages the department and oversees the staff once hired.

Now, how that coach ultimately is as a coach here is extremely difficult to predict as the AD.

So, a "wait and see approach" is basically what you are seeing now.  All indications are that he is conducting a professional and thorough search and talking to a lot of people who know what they are doing in the coaching world". At this point, that's all we can ask.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sure.  But, the biggest part of the AD job here is how he does the search, who he's talking to and who he's listening to.  That's all he can do as far as trying to make the best decision.  Then, how he manages the department and oversees the staff once hired.

Now, how that coach ultimately is as a coach here is extremely difficult to predict as the AD.

So, a "wait and see approach" is basically what you are seeing now.  All indications are that he is conducting a professional and thorough search and talking to a lot of people who know what they are doing in the coaching world". At this point, that's all we can ask.

That is a fair and reasonable approach. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1