Who should our next HC be?

I say if we lose to Wisconsin, and the only thing we have left for the year is Hawkeye tears we announce it before the game.  Have Deion sanders some out with a flava flave size clock on his chest.  Get the kids pumped up to impress the new coach and we just beat the living s#!t out of the Hawkeyes for the last game of the year.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Possibly.

Also, I would guess that the media coverage at Charlotte is significantly less than at Nebraska so I'm not sure there's a comparison.

Agree about it not being comparable.  But all “normalcy” went out the window when Frost was fired.

I remember debating on here if Trev would ever fire Frost during the season (one of the anti arguments was that it would be unfair to the players to disrupt their season).

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
29 minutes ago, runningblind said:

LMAO Some of you have really skewed views of what constitutes being negative.  

perhaps negative was too strong of a word and i threw u in the bucket of the negative nancy crowd prematurely.  I reread your posts and largely I agree, whether you (not you personally, but a fan of nebraska is general) are in the optimistic or pessimistic crowd regarding the search, the fact of the matter is none of us will know how this turns out until a hire is made and said hire's track record plays out.  I think i read your line of "Trev has yet to make a hire" and assumed you were insinuating this was a bad thing (like others have posted)- when in reality, its extremely unlikely to expect an announcement to be made prior to the current season wrapping.  

I'll start getting concerned if we're sitting here the Monday after the Iowa game and still nothing.  However, I'd be shocked if this happened.

4 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

perhaps negative was too strong of a word and i threw u in the bucket of the negative nancy crowd prematurely.  I reread your posts and largely I agree, whether you (not you personally, but a fan of nebraska is general) are in the optimistic or pessimistic crowd regarding the search, the fact of the matter is none of us will know how this turns out until a hire is made and said hire's track record plays out.  I think i read your line of "Trev has yet to make a hire" and assumed you were insinuating this was a bad thing (like others have posted)- when in reality, its extremely unlikely to expect an announcement to be made prior to the current season wrapping.  

I'll start getting concerned if we're sitting here the Monday after the Iowa game and still nothing.  However, I'd be shocked if this happened.

Gotcha, we are on the same sheet of music. :cheers

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I find it interesting reading all of these takes about how Trev is doing such a good job and "I trust Trev!".  He has yet to hire any coach, let's see what happens.  This is more of the "I love former Huskers at all costs" mentality I feel like.  Same with Mickey and the "we must keep him for recruiting!".  He recruits WR primarily, which will not help us at all if we don't have Big Ten quality lines.  Does he recruit OL and DL too? If not, then it doesn't matter folks. 

Just for fun let's go back to see how every coach since Bob Devaney was chosen. Ole Bob picked Tom O as his choice. Tom all by himself picked Frank to be his successor. Peterson screwed the pooch when he fired Frank without a clue what he was doing then hired Callahan as a last resort. Then Tom came back, put his finger in the air to test the wind and saved the day by hiring Bo. When Tom left the AD position our admins took the word of Barry Alvarez who was more than happy to recommend  Shawn Eichorst knowing full well he would be a puppet. When Bo kept stealing Eichorsts lunch money he made it unbearable for Bo who was happy to take his buy out. Eichorst then picked "Sprinkles Riley" to lead this program. The next choice for AD was "Wild Bill Moos"  who would have been hung in a grain bin if he had not hired our last coach who shall go unnamed.  Now we have Trev Alberts who has consulted with numerous other coaches around the country and used a top notch search firm to narrow down the list. For me it has nothing to do with Trev being a former Husker. He acts like a professional CEO which we haven't had for 47 years. I have met Trev and he was more than gracious to talk and joke with this nobody. I feel he is an honorable man.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

The only reason to name the coach before the end of the regular season is to satisfy the impatience of the Husker fan base.  In the long run, it won't matter one bit if Rhule or some other coach is named Monday between Wisconsin and Iowa or the Sunday after Iowa.  The next coach will be successful or not on his own time.

If the new head coach is named before the Iowa game, then he may show up to the game and be interviewed for about 5 minutes during one drive of the game.  Mike Riley made a short appearance during the Holiday Bowl after he was hired.  Riley also appeared on that coach's broadcast on ESPN during the National Championship game, and NU fans nearly creamed themselves thinking he was so good on there.  Did those appearances have any impact during Riley's tenure at NU?  Did Scott Frost coaching UCF in the Peach Bowl after he was hired, where NU fans were thinking "It will be a 4 hour commercial for Frost taking over at NU" have a positive impact on NU?

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I remember debating on here if Trev would ever fire Frost during the season (one of the anti arguments was that it would be unfair to the players to disrupt their season).

I think whomever made the bolded argument was being a bit goofy. Mid-season firings are less than ideal but still quite common. (Unless my memory has lapsed, and I made that argument. In that case, please don't find the receipts. Let's pretend it didn't happen. :lol:)

Hindsight being 20/20, Frost should've been let go after last season. I thought about using my time machine to go fix it... but it broke since @teachercd last used it. Something about

Spoiler

one of the holes not being for what he thought it was for...

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
16 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think whomever made the bolded argument was being a bit goofy. Mid-season firings are less than ideal but still quite common. (Unless my memory has lapsed, and I made that argument. In that case, please don't find the receipts. Let's pretend it didn't happen. :lol:)

Hindsight being 20/20, Frost should've been let go after last season. I thought about using my time machine to go fix it... but it broke since @teachercd last used it. Something about

Hide contents

one of the holes not being for what he thought it was for...

The hole is ALWAYS that I thought it was for!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

If this is true, it is frustrating. With the transfer portal dates the Huskers could potentially miss out on the guys...

I think this depends on the hire. Obviously can’t do it if the guy is still coaching. But if it is Rhule or someone else not currently coaching then we should announce. 

9 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I think this depends on the hire. Obviously can’t do it if the guy is still coaching. But if it is Rhule or someone else not currently coaching then we should announce. 

The key piece here worth mentioning is even it ends up being Rhule or an Urban (someone not coaching), their entire staff they'd bring with them presumably would be.  My hope is Trev already has his guy and said guy is in the process of formulating his supporting staff.  Typically when a HC announcement is made, the majority of his staff is announced shortly thereafter with maybe a spot or 2 needing to be figured out.  

There really is nothing to be gained by announcing now except to appease us anxious fans.  Wouldn't be shocked if an announcement drops the night of the Iowa game. 

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

There really is nothing to be gained by announcing now except to appease us anxious fans.

What about players?  I wonder if they would feel like a weight is lifted is someone is announced?  I am sure they are hearing the daily Rhumors.  And they are being asked by multiple people (family, friends, classmates, etc) per day if they know who the next coach is?  Maybe it would be good for them to get some finality to the saga?

I don't know.  I can see arguments both ways...

• Plus1 1