Who should our next HC be?

3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Can Carolina actually prevent it from going forward? I could see them being pissed off and potentially suing the university if they think they can prove we're underpaying him, but can they actually veto a deal? I am not familiar with coaching contracts but that seems crazy if so.

3 hours ago, Husker03 said:

I wouldnt honestly think Carolina would have any leg to stand in here, legally. And they shouldn’t. First of all, there is a HUGE range of college head coach salaries, there is no factually way to even begin to prove “underpayment.”  For instance, likely we could get Joseph at 2m. Rhule commands more than that but there is certainly no uniform established tier system.  

Secondly, even  If we are paying Rhule 4m/year.  That is still 4 mil/year less Carolina is on the hook for. It’s their stupid contract, after all. Mitigate the damage is the play fir them imo. 

Just so that everyone understands the level of pettiness that we're dealing with, this is the guy who owns the Carolina Panthers:

NtJLjJP.png

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Husker816 said:

Huh?

again,  go back and see what I was responding to.  I'm not diss'n Rhule.  Just pointing out a similarity to he and DeBorer.  

Please people,  go back and read more than a page of posts when responding to avoid taking something out of context.

SSO's Top Candidates

Ecstatic about it:

Matt Rhule – I think things are trending this way from media members and former guys I talk to.

The longer it drags on the less solid I feel about it, but still the guy I think we end up with. What

he did at Temple and Baylor is extremely impressive to me. I’m hoping he could turn into our Saban…

a good run at Michigan State and LSU, went to NFL and failed, came back and revitalized Bama’.

Could he do that for us? Based on the metrics from this tweet seems like he’s a homerun.

1 hour ago, M.A. said:

Beyond that, it's reading the tea leaves research. It's listed in order of my projected probability. Leipold is the wild card, fallback option if one of the top targets aren't secured. DeBoer is a slim long shot I'd say. 

Does that make him the favorite?

1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

DeBoar COULD end up being a really good coach and so far that looks to generally be the case.  However, I would have a lot of concern that his success might not translate to big boy football.  Winning in NAIA, MWC and PAC 12 aren't exactly screaming accomplishments.  B1G and SEC are a whole different ball game.

He was the OC at Indiana in 2019 when they had the 3rd best offense in the Big 10. I think he's a long shot, but would be a solid get.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

Maybe to get closer to home being he is from SD?  That is just my guess. 

Yeah possibly but, why would NEBRASKA pay out $12 million bucks "just to sign a contract" before he do anything with wins and losses???   And then give him another $7-8 million bucks ON top of that, with a nice buyout if they terminate him??!?

Doesn't sound like good financial decision making if you ask anyone sane.

The dept needs to do better than that.  I would think Trev Albert has better financial goals in place and will hire the best fit $.  Regardless of who it is.  You got to win 5 games before you win start winning 7, and so forth.  When you get to 8 wins a year as the norm, and then the serious $ will come.  

Brace yourself for the next hire is all I am saying.

6 minutes ago, admo said:

Yeah possibly but, why would NEBRASKA pay out $12 million bucks "just to sign a contract" before he do anything with wins and losses???   And then give him another $7-8 million bucks ON top of that, with a nice buyout if they terminate him??!?

Doesn't sound like good financial decision making if you ask anyone sane.

The dept needs to do better than that.  I would think Trev Albert has better financial goals in place and will hire the best fit $.  Regardless of who it is.  You got to win 5 games before you win start winning 7, and so forth.  When you get to 8 wins a year as the norm, and then the serious $ will come.  

Brace yourself for the next hire is all I am saying.

You spend the money to get whoever you can. Your line of thinking may translate to other things but with B1G money I think it's an archaic way to approach this situation. 

• Plus1 2

@admo - I think if Trev is going the route of low ball offer until proven success then he's going to hire Mickey at 6-7 million with additional incentives of 2-3 mil if he achieves certain goals.. That said, I doubt Trev goes the low ball route. He'll spend the $.$$ to get the coach he wants. This hire is huge. Low balling an offer would be way too counter productive.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, McGuillotine said:

You spend the money to get whoever you can. Your line of thinking may translate to other things but with B1G money I think it's an archaic way to approach this situation. 

Jimbo Fisher loves your thoughts !

Texas A&M not so much...