Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, Stone Cold said:

No what im saying is that if we cant get in a big name, what i would say the top 4.  Sanders, Rhule, Meyer, Kiffin, then we arent a big name place and we need to stick with what we have until we become a more desirable destination.  I

What do you mean stick with what we have?  Stick with a coaching staff who is going to have 3 or 4 wins this season?

There is no reason a "non-big name coach" can't come in and turn around and get this program to 7-8-9 wins on a regular basis.  Potentially that same coach can be really awesome and get 10+ wins and maybe make the playoff.  That's the first step in this process.  There is no such thing as a sure thing, even under a "big name coach".

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What do you mean stick with what we have?  Stick with a coaching staff who is going to have 3 or 4 wins this season?

There is no reason a "non-big name coach" can't come in and turn around and get this program to 7-8-9 wins on a regular basis.  Potentially that same coach can be really awesome and get 10+ wins and maybe make the playoff.  That's the first step in this process.  There is no such thing as a sure thing, even under a "big name coach".

So, next year.  Its kiffin or campbell.  Who do you think vegas is gonna put bigger odds on to figure out this dam mess.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My concern, even more so now, is what coach we have named would leave a great spot to come here?  We are a dumpster fire with high expectations.  All the names I have heard kicked around, only 2 I can think of Rhule (not coaching) and Urb (not coaching).  Patterson (not coaching) but hates recruiting and NIL alegedly...But guys like Liepold, KLieman, Deboer, Aranda, Kiffin...Why?  Maybe Chadwell?  But Bielema?  Just went toe to toe with Michigan.  Hell Maryland be Ohio State....We are complete trash.  Damaged goods.

1 minute ago, Stone Cold said:

So, next year.  Its kiffin or campbell.  Who do you think vegas is gonna put bigger odds on to figure out this dam mess.

If you want my opinion, I would rather have Kiffin, because I think he's a better coach.  That doesn't mean the right coach who's not the guys you keep naming can't win at NU.

Just now, lo country said:

My concern, even more so now, is what coach we have named would leave a great spot to come here?  We are a dumpster fire with high expectations.  All the names I have heard kicked around, only 2 I can think of Rhule (not coaching) and Urb (not coaching).  Patterson (not coaching) but hates recruiting and NIL alegedly...But guys like Liepold, KLieman, Deboer, Aranda, Kiffin...Why?  Maybe Chadwell?  But Bielema?  Just went toe to toe with Michigan.  Hell Maryland be Ohio State....We are complete trash.  Damaged goods.

But that doesn't mean we don't even try.  It only takes one good coach who can turn it around.  From the day Frost was fired, I never had an opinion on who the next coach should be.  I have no clue.  I think there are a number of coaches who would be willing to come to Nebraska and do well.

• Plus1 2

As we have talked about before, if there is a PC tomorrow that is a sign the new HC is not currently coaching.  If Trev waits until the following weekend it would seem to be somebody currently coaching.  Regardless of the timing, this decision by Trev really may cement his legacy with the Husker program.  He has a chance to drastically change the trajectory of this program with a great hire.  On the contrary, if he does not land a guy who is capable of turning the program around, it could seal Trev's fate and his legacy.  His quiet confidence makes me think he has a really good hire lined up.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

As we have talked about before, if there is a PC tomorrow that is a sign the new HC is not currently coaching.  If Trev waits until the following weekend it would seem to be somebody currently coaching.  Regardless of the timing, this decision by Trev really may cement his legacy with the Husker program.  He has a chance to drastically change the trajectory of this program with a great hire.  On the contrary, if he does not land a guy who is capable of turning the program around, it could seal Trev's fate and his legacy.  His quiet confidence makes me think he has a really good hire lined up.

And if said coach doesn't work out, he can fire that one and hire another. It really is that simple.

• Plus1 1
Just now, hskrpwr13 said:

And if said coach doesn't work out, he can fire that one and hire another. It really is that simple.

If he swings and misses he may not keep his job.  Many ADs don't get multiple chances at HC hires for football.  And I realize the AD at most schools is evaluated for the broad success of all programs, but at a place like Nebraska, the success of the football program carries the most weight.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

If he swings and misses he may not keep his job.  Many ADs don't get multiple chances at HC hires for football.  And I realize the AD at most schools is evaluated for the broad success of all programs, but at a place like Nebraska, the success of the football program carries the most weight.

I also think that this is going to be Trev's only hire at football head coach regardless of how successful the next head coach is.  I think Trev is going to be a short-term AD, who may be here only another 3-4 years.  He was close to retiring at UNO and moving to the coast of South Carolina, until he was lured to NU by a decent paycheck and the opportunity to turn around his alma mater.

5 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I don't think he would even have that chance if the program does or would get any worst. If you ask how? Just look at if the fans stop supporting the University. The University needs the fan support to succeed. If fans stop buying tickets and stop supporting then watch out.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But that doesn't mean we don't even try.  It only takes one good coach who can turn it around.  From the day Frost was fired, I never had an opinion on who the next coach should be.  I have no clue.  I think there are a number of coaches who would be willing to come to Nebraska and do well.

I think we can get one here for sure.  I am just unsure if it will be one the "home run " hires we are hoping for.  Reality, the bar is so low that I think it would impossible to do as poorly as we have the past 8 years.  I mean even Riley got 9 wins one year.  

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think we can get one here for sure.  I am just unsure if it will be one the "home run " hires we are hoping for.  Reality, the bar is so low that I think it would impossible to do as poorly as we have the past 8 years.  I mean even Riley got 9 wins one year.  

Well I sure hope so that the so called one of the home run hires does get hired and comes here for the University and fans sake and peace of mind.