Who should our next HC be?

28 minutes ago, admo said:

Would not be surprised if Brent Vigen (Montana State HC) or John Stiegelmeyer (S Dakota St) is not among the final candidates.  

Or Bob Chesney (Holy Cross)... Chesney has posted a winning conference record in each of his 12 seasons as a collegiate head coach with an overall career mark of 92-41 over 12 years.

Under Chesney’s guidance, Holy Cross has won three straight Patriot League championships and produced 53 all-conference selections, in addition to earning numerous national and academic honors.

Trev Alberts + Go big red... :hmmph  (I can almost taste the press conference)

Coach Stieg about got run out of town years ago (I'm from that area).  Recently he's put up some decent teams. But not a P5 coach

5 hours ago, Husker816 said:

I get it alot of the fan base participates in military cosplay. Monken sucks he plays an extremely soft schedule and still manages to lose to teams like Uconn & Ball State. You can't run the option today, linebackers run like WRs & Safeties have range of the whole field. Way different story in the 90s. 

It isn’t cosplay when you get, or have been, paid to put the uniform on.

Your childish insult aside, you do realize that the academies are probably the hardest jobs in FBS and Army is the hardest of the three? What Monken has done at Army is amazing. Oh and he just beat a bowl eligible UConn 34-17. 

What Monken would bring is leadership, an emphasis on culture and development, a tenacious approach to recruiting, and a tailored plan that would fit NU. People hear Monken or Calhoun and automatically think triple option, but I am pretty sure Monken would employ a power run first spread O with option elements to it, not the same O he runs at Army. Monken isn’t the offensive play caller for Army, nor is he married to their scheme. He has modified his offensive and defensive approach as needed over the years based on what he feels his talent available would succeed at. Monken is a program builder pure and simple, it is naive to blindly think of him as a triple option guy. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

We were a laughingstock after we were destroyed by Colorado, didn't even play for a conference title, and still ended up playing for the title, where Miami beat us up.

The win over Oklahoma was nice, though. 

Sure not different than the amazing Bama/LSU Championship a few yea4s back. Bama was a laughingstock, not even the best team in its conference division.

2 hours ago, lo country said:

Great points.  I remember several times that Chance was used as a lead blocker.  I complain about lack of talent quite a bit.  When I step back, it's hard to judge them with little to no actual coaching going on.  Although they fail miserable to the "eye test".  Especially the OL.  Hoping a new HC could make them serviceable or better until they can get their guys in.  

It really hurt us not to have another multiple threat TE to run more 12 personnel.  Really would like to see the new coach get/develop the TE room.  Have not heard a thing on Fidone?  Staying, going, healthy, no idea.  I would also really like to see more commitment to 21 personnel.  I think our RB room could be really good.  As mentioned earlier, an extra blocker would help until our OL improves.  I'd also like a more dedicated QB run game.  At least enough designed runs to make the DC account for that.  Make the D account for every potential threat on the O.  As for coaches Klieman and even Liepold run good systems.  It pains me to think we would get KU's coach because they are now playing much better than NU.  I like Chadwell.  If we can't get that "home run" guy.  And I know Chadwell is on no ones board, but a few of us, I'd honestly like to see Klieman.  Term gets way over used, but I think he is a scrappy blue collar coach.  Just rise and grind.  Nothing fancy.  Just outworks you.  Would definitely have to rely on his ability to develop as I do not think the recruit meter would move much with him.  So until he started winning, we'd be dancing with the folks we brought.  But who knows who would be on his staff...

End of the day, I just want to win next year.  It's all a cyclical argument, but coaching gets wins, winning gets players, players get wins etc....But a new HC is the next, first, best place to start.  

I'd like to get Chadwell.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I'd like to get Chadwell.

You were in the "a few of us".  haha.  I'd like to see what he could do, but I have not even glimpsed a rumor of him since Frost was fired and Moglia mentioned it.  Then again, unsure if there are any airports out of the Conway or the Dirty Myrtle. Lol.  BUT Vok and Nelson are rocking serious Mullets.....And Chadwell had one....

• Plus1 1

Right now who ever take this gig has their hands full with a major roster rebuild and staff rebuild.  This program right now is bottom 50, not top 50.  The job is still attractive, the program is in really bad shape.  We do have a few pieces that will work next season, but I don't know if they are worth keeping.  This roster needs overahauled, physically, mentally and whatever else there is.  We have to build linemen, that might take a few seasons(2) then we will season some form of progression.  This is a hard job.  So who ever desires this job either will take because of the money or because they truly think they can get the job done.  I am hoping for the combo, money and desire.  So that narrows the list down some. 

Klieman, Leipold, Monken, Mickey, Patterson, and maybe Kiffin.  At this point Patterson has a resume to build on,and maybe even win some games with his defense alone.  I don't know.

32 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

It isn’t cosplay when you get, or have been, paid to put the uniform on.

Your childish insult aside, you do realize that the academies are probably the hardest jobs in FBS and Army is the hardest of the three? What Monken has done at Army is amazing. Oh and he just beat a bowl eligible UConn 34-17. 

What Monken would bring is leadership, an emphasis on culture and development, a tenacious approach to recruiting, and a tailored plan that would fit NU. People hear Monken or Calhoun and automatically think triple option, but I am pretty sure Monken would employ a power run first spread O with option elements to it, not the same O he runs at Army. Monken isn’t the offensive play caller for Army, nor is he married to their scheme. He has modified his offensive and defensive approach as needed over the years based on what he feels his talent available would succeed at. Monken is a program builder pure and simple, it is naive to blindly think of him as a triple option guy. 

And how is he qualified for Nebraska again? You stated good qualities of a man but what makes him right for this job. The way your talking any coach should be able to coach here which I won't say can't but I won't settle or do not want us to settle.  Thats my opinion.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

And how is he qualified for Nebraska again? You stated good qualities of a man but what makes him right for this job. The way you’re talking any coach should be able to coach here which I won't say can't but I won't settle or do not want us to settle.  Thats my opinion.

If you listened to TA’s summary of what he is looking for in a coach, Monken checks all of the boxes. He is a grinder who will emphasize development and culture. Nebraska needs a program builder right now, Monken is a proven program builder. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, lo country said:

You were in the "a few of us".  haha.  I'd like to see what he could do, but I have not even glimpsed a rumor of him since Frost was fired and Moglia mentioned it.  Then again, unsure if there are any airports out of the Conway or the Dirty Myrtle. Lol.  BUT Vok and Nelson are rocking serious Mullets.....And Chadwell had one....

Yes of all of the G5 coaches and academy coaches, he'd be my pick.  So if it isn't Rhule, Kleiman, Aranda - then I hope it is Chadwell.  BOB has moved down my list some.  

Lane, Prime, Urb, Petersen, Paterson are in my very highly unlikely category.  

• Plus1 2