Who should our next HC be?

4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Monken is a fantastic coach. The risk is coaching at Nebraska is nothing like either of his HC jobs, massive risk. Might take time for him to figure out coaching a B1G school, recruiting at a B1G school...people are not going to be very patient. 

That is a fair question, and honestly one that I have myself. That being said, the size and scope of the Army job is huge so I think he is actually probably better prepared for a job like Nebraska than most will give him credit for. 

They Army program is TOUGH to run. It is a HUGE roster, 158 on the roster plus another 40-50 at the prep school. There is no option to RS players, you only get 4 years, unless you get in trouble and another shot, so they have to leverage the prep school to be a 5th year. It is on WP campus now and Monken has to ensure that program is running well also. Academies don’t have scholarship limitations so they bring in 50 plus kids in each year. It is truly a development based system. Not to mention players have to meet military physical height/weight requirements and academic and military instruction trumps football every time. Overall you have players all taking 18-22 credit hours a semester at one of the toughest schools in the nation plus they have mandatory military instruction during the year and summer. Off-season workouts are limited. As a coach he has to manage a program schedule with more complications that any other in the country.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Im thinking since you have an army football logo as your profile pic you have some high admiration for Army or its football program. Not knocking you just saying I noticed.

You could say that since it is my Alma Mater. I honestly would prefer Rhule as I think he would bring similar traits and also not be as polarizing to the fan base, but having watched what Monken has done for my alma mater has been amazing. I am a fan of great leaders regardless of field or job and I spend time researching why they are successful. 

I think TA gets that also, heck his son is a West Point graduate so TA has an appreciation of what the academy is like and what Monken has to deal with. 

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, GSG said:

We're not hiring Monken.

Let 

It

Go

Maybe, maybe not. I have said I am not all in on Monken anyways, I think there are several others I think would be successful, including Rhule. However blind “Monken sucks” retorts from people who haven’t actually done any kind of research on him does irritate me. We all want NU to be successful, we would be lucky to have a coach like Monken to do it. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
36 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Well the fact that Monken has done at a non-military academy as well with a very high level of success speaks to his ability to build a culture. However in response to your question about the ease of culture building at an academy, the answer is yes and no. It is true that in respect to discipline and culture Monken has a higher quality of clay to work with because the entire experience of the academy is doing the same and helping to condition the young men and women in a positive way. That being said, it actually isn’t that easy to build a culture of winning just through a military environment or discipline. I have seen plenty of units that were s-shows. Look at what Russia is dealing with currently. It takes a good leader to capitalize on that and realize the potential of his or her unit. 

Yeah good point and I keep forgetting about his time at Georgia Southern. I would be unsure if we hired Monken but that would at least mean Trev met with him and did his research and thought he could get it done. 

• Thanks 2

Just in a week or so, we will know this answer.  Thankfully!  The thing is we are a sorry program right now.  Risk/Reward.  For the one who takes this job, and does a good job, will be a hero.  Plain and simple.  We will never know who was targeted, who was asked, or who even was interviewed.  We will be spared the embarrassment of knowing certain coaches said out right no.  So, who ever takes this gig, we better be happy.  We better give them a shot to turn this around.  If we fail once again, I think that means the end for this program ever competing at a top scale.  This hire is that important.  So every one needs to relax, wait, and cheer on the next guy.  Its our last hope for relevance.  With USC, UCLA coming, we are now further down the pecking order.  Ohio ST, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Penn ST will be ahead of us from the start. Actually USC, will have a chance to overtake Michigan and Ohio St as soon as they join.  UCLA is going to cause some fits with those schools as well.  This job got alot harder with those schools being added. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, Nebhawk said:

Just in a week or so, we will know this answer.  Thankfully!  The thing is we are a sorry program right now.  Risk/Reward.  For the one who takes this job, and does a good job, will be a hero.  Plain and simple.  We will never know who was targeted, who was asked, or who even was interviewed.  We will be spared the embarrassment of knowing certain coaches said out right no.  So, who ever takes this gig, we better be happy.  We better give them a shot to turn this around.  If we fail once again, I think that means the end for this program ever competing at a top scale.  This hire is that important.  So every one needs to relax, wait, and cheer on the next guy.  Its our last hope for relevance.  With USC, UCLA coming, we are now further down the pecking order.  Ohio ST, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Penn ST will be ahead of us from the start. Actually USC, will have a chance to overtake Michigan and Ohio St as soon as they join.  UCLA is going to cause some fits with those schools as well.  This job got alot harder with those schools being added. 

I know we think its going to be in a week but I posted a question in when does Nebraska name a permanent head coach that questions if TA doesn't name a head coach in a week then what? Not being a negative nancy or debbie downer just had to ask bc its a possibility we don't even have our coach lined up at all.