Who should our next HC be?

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

HOL with similar reports.

Rhule seems to be looking elsewhere.  I wasn't sure if I should believe that when I heard it last week but that seems to be the prevailing opinion now.

Stoops was contacted but now has an extension at Kentucky.

Leipold seems to be moving to the top of the list.  He hasn't signed a new deal with Kansas.

Doeren and Klieman are in the mix.

Fickell floated as a possibility.  DeBoer and Traylor listed as possibilities.

The tea leaves I'm reading suggest that Rhule wants more money than Trev wants to pay him. If true, that's kind of disappointing.

If Rhule is out, I think the home run hires would be Kiffin or Fickell, but I'm not sure either is attainable. Especially if my feeling about not wanting to pay Rhule is correct, then you're not going to get those 2 guys for any cheaper.

I know a lot of people have cooled on Leipold, but I still think he'd be a solid hire. Runs a fun style of offense and is a really good game manager. He'd just need to hire a really good DC (maybe keep Busch as DC) and fill his staff with great recruiters (Mickey).

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

There’s a reason toast has been a staple of the breakfast scene for centuries.  Might be boring, but I know what im Getting and very rarely am I disappointed.

You could be describing a former coach I've heard of - Tom Osborne  - and boring turned out be pretty exciting in the end. 

To borrow a phrase " We all got tired/bored with all of the winning"

The only thing I'm addicted to right now.. is PINNING! | Two and half men

My question is why does it feel like with the names that regular being reported we are limiting ourselves in the coaching search. If you believe deep down that Nebraska has a shot to beat against USC or UCLA with him being in place good luck I just dont see it happening. I don't understand why but this could all be rumors right now anywayz. I bet you if it a boring or lame hire not much people are going to be there at the press conference.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, runningblind said:

If true, pack it in because the admin just wants to milk this cash cow that is us.  Time to stop giving them our money and attention.

Isn’t this all just speculation.   Even if partially true, isn’t that how negotiations work?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Trev's "I do take very seriously being a good steward of the resources of the University of Nebraska" quote is sounding more and more like TO is pulling the purse strings. 

And like, where is the line?

So paying 750K is okay but not a million?  That is nothing in the grand scheme of things.  Just pay up.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

From a friend who is a high school AD/football coach in Texas:

Rhule wanted three assistants at $1M+ but Trev said no.  

The timing of that would line up with Rhule's supposedly turning us down last week and Trev's "I do take very seriously being a good steward of the resources of the University of Nebraska" comment last week.

Of course, that comment was immediately followed by "we'll have the resources we need to hire the very best coach and the very best fit" so who knows.

giphy.gif

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

And like, where is the line?

So paying 750K is okay but not a million?  That is nothing in the grand scheme of things.  Just pay up.

No kidding.  If NU wants to be competing with other schools, you have to pay what other schools are paying.  It's called the market rate for a reason.

An additional $250-350K for a few assistants might cost a total of $1M for a season.  That's chump change for the overall budget.  Plus, if the team is successful, the Athletic Department would make that up with additional revenue/donations.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The timing of that would line up with Rhule's supposedly turning us down last week and Trev's "I do take very seriously being a good steward of the resources of the University of Nebraska" comment last week.

Of course, that comment was immediately followed by "we'll have the resources we need to hire the very best coach and the very best fit" so who knows.

Makes sense. I thought that comment was odd in timing. 

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

No kidding.  If NU wants to be competing with other schools, you have to pay what other schools are paying.  It's called the market rate for a reason. 

A few questions that need to be asked at the press conference when Trev announces the new hire:

1.  Were you able to get your first choice?

2.  Did money play a role in your final decision?

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It's one thing to not lock yourself into a huge guaranteed contract with a HC that may or may not pan out.  Assistants are arguably as important as HC.  I would also argue that one of the biggest contributors to Frost's demise was that he attached himself to a lot of poor assistants. If this is true, I would be very dissapointed.

• Plus1 3