Who should our next HC be?

17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What is the promise land to you?  You keep mentioning this, but you are always so vague on what your expectations are. 

Competing with the top teams in the division on a year to year basis and competing for the division and a championship. You think we have any chance doing that with USC and UCLA coming in? I feel we are going to be a middle to bottom row team if we were to hire him. I don't feel me personally that we are going to have much success with him but I could be wrong.  I know its unreal to expect championships every year but that competing for them should be our goal striving for that. If you have a different mindset of what Nebraska should be striving for then thats ok.  I have high expectations that I feel Nebraska should reach for even if it's not attainable every year.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Competing with the top teams in the division on a year to year basis and competing for the division. You think we have any chance doing that with USC and UCLA coming in? I feel we are going to be a middle to bottom row team if we were to hire him. I don't feel me personally that we are going to have much success with him but I could be wrong.

Well, there will be no divisions after 2023, but I do think Leipold can get NU into the top 3 or 4 of the conference every now and then.  I honestly think that's the ceiling for NU, regardless who the coach is.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Well, there will be no divisions after 2023, but I do think Leipold can get NU into the top 3 or 4 of the conference every now and then.  I honestly think that's the ceiling for NU, regardless who the coach is.

And I believe that if you go get a great head coach your not just one of the top 3 or 4 teams every now and then you are automatically one of the top 3 or 4 teams bc of the coach you have. Its like USC having Lincoln Riley compared to Helton just saying. 

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

The tea leaves I'm reading suggest that Rhule wants more money than Trev wants to pay him. If true, that's kind of disappointing.

If Rhule is out, I think the home run hires would be Kiffin or Fickell, but I'm not sure either is attainable. Especially if my feeling about not wanting to pay Rhule is correct, then you're not going to get those 2 guys for any cheaper.

I know a lot of people have cooled on Leipold, but I still think he'd be a solid hire. Runs a fun style of offense and is a really good game manager. He'd just need to hire a really good DC (maybe keep Busch as DC) and fill his staff with great recruiters (Mickey).

lol. A fun style of offense isnt what we need. Who runs a fun style of offense and is winning in the B1G other then Ohio State. 

4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

And I believe that if you go get a great head coach your not just one of the top 3 or 4 teams every now and then you are automatically one of the top 3 or 4 teams bc of the coach you have. Its like USC having Lincoln Riley compared to Helton just saying. 

NU simply isn't able to attract the same level of coach as a Lincoln Riley to USC.  It's an apples to oranges comparison.

• Plus1 3

I agree with this take by Sam's take on Jeff Monken.  I'd prefer Chadwell over Monken. 

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/mckewon-how-eight-coaching-names-fit-nebraskas-big-picture-after-another-gut-punch/article_9307cd96-55dd-5bf0-b3a5-ca7363ada4f0.html

Jeff Monken

Army’s service academy offense is a bit primordial for the Big Ten, but Monken, alongside offensive coordinator Brent Davis, could adapt their scheme for a new league. Monken’s Nebraska would have a clear identity. Recruiting would take time. If NU’s down to kick the tires on Monken, why not just hire Coastal Carolina’s Jamey Chadwell or Tulane’s Willie Fritz?

• Plus1 1

IMO, as a fan base we have so much PTSD from the Callahan to Pelini to Riley to Frost that we freak out when we see/hear the same type of path being taken...even if it is not confirmed. I just wish Trev would be a huge hire and we can all move forward with it. The pessimistic side of me feels like I will be disappointed and frustrated that top choices turned Trev down and we have to settle for some no name person.

Damn, it sucks being a Husker fan right now!!