Who should our next HC be?

19 minutes ago, Vizsla1 said:

I would prefer a Saturday announcement to dominate the news cycle as other college teams play. He could show up personally on the  Fox Football telecast and deliver a singing telegram to Urban- they both walk off and board a plane back to Nebraska ...Trev knows the value of free publicity.

I will admit the last 8 weeks have been nerve racking.  Just don't screw this one up.  I am already hearing renewals are in the toilet and the ticket office has been making some personal calls to season ticket holders (those with 4+ tickets).    

As much as I like Meyer, I think Klieman  makes th most sense (midwest guy, tough as nails, and worked his way up)- except we may have to wait an extra week for him to announce.  I think Lane is too flighty as it was mentioned here before, but would consider him a great hire.  If A&M is willing to pay Jimbo $70 million to leave-  they would control the next hire.  Who knows what kind of contract they could offer a new coach.  I just think Deon would be too risky for A&M, but you Never know.  

Beinemy is getting another whisper or two downtown but do not think it has legs.  I have heard zero on Locksley ( Maryland) since 4 weeks ago.  I do wonder how many and who has turned us down.  I am sure Trev is working harder than an ugly stripper.

Klieman seems to be an ideal fit too and I think is like Pelini-Plus meaning he will consistently have good seasons sprinkled in with a couple of elite seasons. 

As for timing, Ole Miss plays Thursday and Cincy and NC State play Friday so Kiffin, Fickell and Doeren will be done with their regular seasons then.  Utah, UCF, K-State and Washington do not play until Saturday with KSU and Washington having really late games.  K-State and Washington also may both make their CCG's which happen the following weekend.    

8 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Thats not necessarily true on Deion Sanders. Deion is a leader as well and does have connections. You be crazy not to think that as well regardless of the coaches being there with him at Jackson State.

I think they both can assemble good staffs. You’re right that deion has connections. I just think MJ has better connections because of his brother. So it’s great vs good in my opinion. With BOB the staff matters a little less because he’s your OC. 

19 hours ago, knapplc said:

I agree that it doesn't seem like Meyer wants to come here. His commentary during the second half of whatever that game was, when he talked about how this is a rebuild process and the time it would take, didn't seem like a guy interested in the job. It seemed like a dispassionate outsider describing something not involving him. 

I'd believe anything at this point, though. Urban, Deion, Liepold, whatever. They need to do whatever it takes to make this the correct hire.

Urban at $15 million per year for four-ish/five-ish years to reestablish the reputation, then handing it off to a good assistant (like the Ryan Day/Ohio State handoff) would be almost more than we could hope for.

Urban for 4-5 years would be an absolute dream scenario. It's been 20 years of :bang - we're due.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

Lane’s body language & eye contact screams “I’m not a good liar” here.

He may be able to make fun of reports of him going to Auburn - but he’s clearly going aomewhere & I think Nebraska makes too much sense for the things he’s already complained about at Ole Miss.

I would like this a lot more if he would just do what Lincoln Riley did last season and state specifically he will not be the next HC at Auburn :>)

51 minutes ago, Vizsla1 said:

I would prefer a Saturday announcement to dominate the news cycle as other college teams play. He could show up personally on the  Fox Football telecast and deliver a singing telegram to Urban- they both walk off and board a plane back to Nebraska ...Trev knows the value of free publicity.

Even though we play on Friday, our next HC is likely going to be coaching a game on Saturday, so we wouldn't hear an announcement until Sunday at the earliest. Unless it's Kiffin, who coaches on Thursday.

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

God I love him!

Sadly, this is also one of the reason NU fans could not handle him.  Because he is funny and loves to mess with people.

I'm glad you said "sadly," as I would very much love to see some kind of humor/sarcastic/etc depth of personality as HC here. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
22 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Trev has his guy. Money isn’t an issue….

Which coach is it going to be? :smokin

Kiffin, Rhule, Meyer, Fickell or Aranda? :snacks:

I agree with this.  I think he's had his guy for quite sometime and out of respect to Mickey, the team, and the future HC, he has kept it quiet and is ready and waiting to deliver a solid to great hire for the Huskers. GBR!!! 

NOW ONLY IF I KNEW WHO IT WAS....

• Plus1 1

I don't know how much (at all???) you can believe former DB Bryan Wilson, but he is saying that Trev has been putting out lowball offers ($4M-$6M) and it has turned off a lot of candidates.  Trev has since upped an offer to Rhule that is close to $8M.

This also jives with Mav saying about Trev is being cheap with assistants Rhule was asking for.

Here is the twitter thread.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, HuskerofMN said:

I agree with this.  I think he's had his guy for quite sometime and out of respect to Mickey, the team, and the future HC, he has kept it quiet and is ready and waiting to deliver a solid to great hire for the Huskers. GBR!!! 

NOW ONLY IF I KNEW WHO IT WAS....

Out of those, want to take a guess?