Who should our next HC be?

Sipples column:

Meanwhile, Rhule, fired last month by the Carolina Panthers after a 1-4 start, has a history of success with reclamation projects (Temple, Baylor). Those were difficult jobs. He has to know Nebraska wouldn’t be an easy project. He must be intrigued.

I’ve said this before: I like the 47-year-old Rhule’s background coaching in the trenches. To wit: His assistant-coaching history includes three separate stints as a collegiate defensive line coach (Buffalo, UCLA, and Temple). In 2012, he was an assistant offensive line coach with the New York Giants.

Keep in mind, before he took the Baylor head-coaching job in 2017, Rhule was Oregon’s top candidate.

Although it’s gone quiet on the Rhule-Nebraska front, these situations often are fluid. Stay tuned.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't know how much (at all???) you can believe former DB Bryan Wilson, but he is saying that Trev has been putting out lowball offers ($4M-$6M) and it has turned off a lot of candidates.  Trev has since upped an offer to Rhule that is close to $8M.

This also jives with Mav saying about Trev is being cheap with assistants Rhule was asking for.

Here is the twitter thread.

No. He doesn't get any pass, and its because the way this went down. He knew this was likely coming by this time last year. He had from then until the start of the season to prepare. He then fired Frost after 3 games, so that he had three months a head start on the official search process. In doing so, he cost the university an extra $7.5 million. If he bungles this, it is all on him, and if it is bungled. I will believe the reports of him pinching pennies. What's that saying? Penny smart, pound foolish? A good Nebraska football program pays for itself 10 fold. With what Nebraska can pay, and the resources and facilities, there is no reason he should not be able to grab a tier one coach. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

Klieman or Fickell would both be great gets.  Meyer, Rhule, and Kiffin wouldn't be long term guys, and we ain't getting any of those dudes anyhow.  

Kalen DeBoer would be an absolute home run.  No idea what his contract details are at UW, but if my opinion mattered (which it doesn't), I'd throw the key to the bank at him.  South Dakota guy, wins everywhere he goes, got a lot of coaching years in him yet.  I've seen his name thrown around on here, but not a lot.      

• Plus1 3

If reports are true of low ball offers for HC and not being accommodating to assistant salaries I have to wonder what the hell is wrong with Trev and/or BOR?! The program and fan base has been through hell the last 15-20 years and you are worried about money? The athletic department is rolling it in financially and the football program NEEDS to be successful. 

As it has been said, this could be TA's kiss of death if he screws this up....and probably the football program's kiss of death to ever get back to the bare minimum of success/respect. We will slowly continue to turn into the Gophers from the 60s to the 2000's.

1 hour ago, The Whale said:

:horns2:woo:horns:worship

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but Kiffin is not our guy. He is too fickle he hasn't been in any program longer than three years, and he seems to leave a bad taste everywhere he has been. Let's say your dream comes true and it is Kiffin. A year from now Saban retires, 99.9% chance Kiffin bolts if offered the Bama job, and we're back on this bus all over again and behind the 8-ball with an end of the season vacancy. What's more- every talented player Kiffin wants off our squad will be gone, who wouldn't follow their head coach to Bama? That would essentially be a death sentence for our program. 

4 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

No. He doesn't get any pass, and its because the way this went down. He knew this was likely coming by this time last year. He had from then until the start of the season to prepare. He then fired Frost after 3 games, so that he had three months a head start on the official search process. In doing so, he cost the university an extra $7.5 million. If he bungles this, it is all on him, and if it is bungled. I will believe the reports of him pinching pennies. What's that saying? Penny smart, pound foolish? A good Nebraska football program pays for itself 10 fold. With what Nebraska can pay, and the resources and facilities, there is no reason he should not be able to grab a tier one coach. 

Just got done saying the same thing. If it is all true, it is unbelievable to me that he would be penny pinching.

9 minutes ago, HuskerofMN said:

Honestly, and I don't know why, but I have a feeling it's Aranda.  From Trev's presser when he fired Frost, it just seemed like he was describing Aranda to a T.  Just a gut feeling, sprinkled with a little bit of hope. 

We could all use some hope. I’d have to agree that Aranda does fit with the characteristics Trev mentioned.

8 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

What is a tier 1 coach and how many of them are there?

20 minutes ago, Hagg said:

It's going to be Jeff Traylor I tell ya. 

Someone in P5 will hire him.  The dude is a winner.  I think a lot of fans would consider the hire mehhh but if they took a deep look at him most would probably be pretty excited.