Who should our next HC be?

11 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Lol I’m with you there @Stone Cold

Which one of those six? Care to take a guess? Or, none of the above? 

I honestly dont know,  the ones i think move the needle are ones from winning programs from this year.  And ones that have had decent success in the past.  Or ones like Urban, or Rhule who have had success in the past but not currently working.  The biggest problem i have is that if were going to get a mid coach id like to give mickey the reigns and have him go from there.  If he doesnt work in 3 years so be it but at least we tried and maybe we will be in a better position.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

No. He doesn't get any pass, and its because the way this went down. He knew this was likely coming by this time last year. He had from then until the start of the season to prepare. He then fired Frost after 3 games, so that he had three months a head start on the official search process. In doing so, he cost the university an extra $7.5 million. If he bungles this, it is all on him, and if it is bungled. I will believe the reports of him pinching pennies. What's that saying? Penny smart, pound foolish? A good Nebraska football program pays for itself 10 fold. With what Nebraska can pay, and the resources and facilities, there is no reason he should not be able to grab a tier one coach. 

On the bold, EXACTLY! Can you imagine how much money you'll COST the program by not hiring the right coach? I don't usually view things in an extreme way like this, but this really is a CRUCIAL hire. I really hope all of this is a smoke shield to hide the fact that either Kiffin or Aranda have been hired for quite some time.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

What is a tier 1 coach and how many of them are there?

off the top of my head and not in a place that they couldn't be coaxed to leave:

Tier 1 Fickell, Meyer, Patterson, Petersen, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, Zac Taylor, Franklin, Gundy,

Tier 2: Rhule, Aranda, Rex Ryan, Bill O'Brien, Deion Sanders, Gary Kubiak, Jason Garrett, Mike Zimmer, Todd Monken, 

Tier 3: Chryst, Campbell, Liepold, Klieman, Narduzzi, Chadwell, Calhoun, Helton, Dan Quinn, Doug Marrone, Adam Gase, Raheem Morris, Alex Grinch, Josh Gattis, Lane Kiffin ( might be a tier two coach, but as I said, he'll bolt after a year or two and leave us hanging, taking our best players with him.)

Tier 4: Bohl, Joseph, Trev Alberts, Jeff Grimes ,Tim Beck, Tom Manning

3 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I honestly dont know,  the ones i think move the needle are ones from winning programs from this year.  And ones that have had decent success in the past.  Or ones like Urban, or Rhule who have had success in the past but not currently working.  The biggest problem i have is that if were going to get a mid coach id like to give mickey the reigns and have him go from there.  If he doesnt work in 3 years so be it but at least we tried and maybe we will be in a better position.

A track record for success is paramount. 

I like Mickey a lot and am grateful for his coming here to help out and appreciative everything he does.

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

Can't disagree with you more.

1. To think the search is not fluid is foolish. "He knew this was likely coming" "He had from then until the start" ... Let's see, Kiffin wasn't available, Aranda was but also not a viable reality, Rhule was in the NFL, Prime Time was even a more unproven commodity at that time.. so, your comment here is a stretch at best.

1. I manage people as the head of an organization. I have list I keep in my head of who I would hire at any given time for various skills and roles and routinely converse with them to keep the relationship strong and assure their interest. Its not even a hey, if this job comes open would you be interested conversation. Its a, hey I respect your work, lets get together and chat conversation. Trev had a year to build these relationships.

2. "He fired Frost after 3 games", yes and again, many possible candidates were in the heart of the season and not wanting to create distractions therefore likely responding with we can speak closer to the end of the season privately. Again, your comment at best is a HUGE stretch.

Back channels and agents are always taking calls. 

3. "Penny smart, pound foolish" - You're making assumptions of which you have zero real insight into is the only foolish truth. 

This is why I caveat it with, "if Trev has managed to bungle this." Too be honest, I don't or don't want to believe the rumored penny pinching activities. Trev knows how important this hire is. However, if we strike out with all the Tier 1 coaches. I'll have to give the rumors more credence. How could you not? 

Not trying to offend you as I've always respected your posts. So I was shocked when I read this post. 

Ditto, and no worries, you didn't offend me. :cheers

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

On the bold, EXACTLY! Can you imagine how much money you'll COST the program by not hiring the right coach? I don't usually view things in an extreme way like this, but this really is a CRUCIAL hire. I really hope all of this is a smoke shield to hide the fact that either Kiffin or Aranda have been hired for quite some time.

What would eliminating specific entities or suppositions achieve? The simplest explanation helps in revealing the truth.

For me, Trev either has his guy or, he’s been getting a lot of no thank you.  I’m leaning toward that he has the coach and has for some time now.

Achieving this level of secrecy for this length of time is remarkable. Lol It’s possible that the prospect’s assistants don’t even know and very, very few in his circle. 

• Plus1 2

As time passes by ... I think many in the fan base are starting to feel this search drifting toward one of two outcomes. 1. Mickey is named HC and then we all find a way to get behind that even if our first instinct is to be skeptical. Or, that there's some splash hire made and we spend the next nine months thinking that Nebraska has a shot to be Nebraska again. The former feels a lot more certain than the latter. I mean kudos to Trev if he has been having high level contacts with great coach candidates and is about to pick from that field while having kept the whole thing totally quiet for months. Or it could be that almost zero conversations were happening. That Trev was getting a lot "thanks, but no thanks." And that he's about to say, "Roll with Mickey" while also trying to convince us that he looked far and wide and just kept coming back to Mickey. 

37 minutes ago, M.A. said:

What would eliminating specific entities or suppositions achieve? The simplest explanation helps in revealing the truth.

For me, Trev either has his guy or, he’s been getting a lot of no thank you.  I’m leaning toward that he has the coach and has for some time now.

Achieving this level of secrecy for this length of time is remarkable. Lol It’s possible that the prospect’s assistants don’t even know and very, very few in his circle. 

Someone mentioned that our recruits have basically staying loyal as well as current players.  It makes me wonder if MJ knows everything, his place in the everything and is cool with it and he's dropped enough breadcrumbs for recruits like Coleman to be cool with it all.   As you note, not only has word not gotten out our our AD office but it hasn't been revealed by the other side- the new coach's environment.  

If it is true that Trev has had his guy for some time and that he got MJ to take the secrecy oath, then I'm saying Trev missed his calling.  Sign him up as CIA Director today!

• Plus1 2