Who should our next HC be?

When Panthers owner David Tepper fired Rhule, the thinking was that, by getting Rhule on the market quickly for a head-coaching job, he’d be in a better position to reduce his buyout by lining up a prime college job. Apparently, Rhule isn’t getting the response he’d expected.

Why else would he be launching an all-out media tour? He’s banging the drum. He’s waving the flag. He’s trying to get some attention at a time when college programs are compiling their wish lists.

As one astute observer has noted, Rhule thought he’d get the Nebraska or Wisconsin job.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

As time passes by ... I think many in the fan base are starting to feel this search drifting toward one of two outcomes. 1. Mickey is named HC and then we all find a way to get behind that even if our first instinct is to be skeptical. Or, that there's some splash hire made and we spend the next nine months thinking that Nebraska has a shot to be Nebraska again. The former feels a lot more certain than the latter. I mean kudos to Trev if he has been having high level contacts with great coach candidates and is about to pick from that field while having kept the whole thing totally quiet for months. Or it could be that almost zero conversations were happening. That Trev was getting a lot "thanks, but no thanks." And that he's about to say, "Roll with Mickey" while also trying to convince us that he looked far and wide and just kept coming back to Mickey. 

I would be sooooo disappointed if this were to occur.  We need a total rebuild by an experience developer, program builder.  My hope it is Rhule.  I would be OK wt many others.   I'm doubtful that it is Lane, URB, Peterson, or Sanders.   Of the boarder coaches, I'd be satisfied wt  Klienman - knowing he would be a methodical builder.  

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

So if its Liepold, does Sevion Morrison transfer back?

How has Sevion done at Kansas?   I had forgotten that it was Kansas that he transferred to.  Former Tulsa HS star that I've watched and had hoped he'd excel at Nebraska.  I talked to his cousin once and she was very excited about his chance to play at Nebraska. 

Did Matt Rhule turn down the Cornhuskers this weekend? That was the word from several sources. Rhule had been the No. 1 candidate to replace Scott Frost. If Rhule has indeed taken his name out of consideration, that isn't necessarily a statement about the quality of the job. It's still a heavy lift for whoever takes Nebraska, but for Rhule, it may be a further indicator that he intends to sit out 2023 to rest and retrench. Rhule is at a point in his career where he can have his pick of jobs and not have to settle. His first two college jobs were bottom-of-the-barrel, last-place types (Temple, Baylor), but he made his reputation with worst-to-first success stories.

If Rhule is no longer available, does Nebraska turn its attention to Kansas' Lance Leipold? The 58-year-old coach has deep roots in the state of Nebraska as a former analyst at Nebraska-Omaha and assistant under Frank Solich with the Huskers. Has the shine worn off, though? The Jayhawks started 5-0 and were ranked but will finish 6-6 if they lose to Kansas State this week. Another name to watch at Nebraska: Washington first-year coach Kalen DeBoer.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Just now, TGHusker said:

How has Sevion done at Kansas?   I had forgotten that it was Kansas that he transferred to.  Former Tulsa HS star that I've watched and had hoped he'd excel at Nebraska.  I talked to his cousin once and she was very excited about his chance to play at Nebraska. 

Out of curiosity, I looked it up. His stats are nearly identical to what he did last year here. I don't know if had an injury or something that kept him out. 

2 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Out of curiosity, I looked it up. His stats are nearly identical to what he did last year here. I don't know if had an injury or something that kept him out. 

Well, I hope his stats improve - great kid and he has a lot of talent and can be a real factor on the field if 'developed' and coached correctly. 

17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Someone mentioned that our recruits have basically staying loyal as well as current players.  It makes me wonder if MJ knows everything, his place in the everything and is cool with it and he's dropped enough breadcrumbs for recruits like Coleman to be cool with it all.   As you note, not only has word not gotten out our our AD office but it hasn't been revealed by the other side- the new coach's environment.  

If it is true that Trev has had his guy for some time and that he got MJ to take the secrecy oath, then I'm saying Trev missed his calling.  Sign him up as CIA Director today!

That is why I am feeling it is, has been, Dave Aranda. I don't think Mickey could give info/feeling without knowing who would be new coach and knowing that that coach would fully retain Mickey.

Just one guy's opinion from up here in Minnesota who live next to annoying Iowa fans who in a span of 3 weeks have gone from fire the Ferentz family to just simply saying "that's Iowa football. We dominate the West."  

• Fire 1

When you look at Leipold's career head coaching record, he has done well at all 3 stops.  He turned around Buffalo (as Rhule did at Temple) and he is in the process of turning around Kansas which is no short task (which Rhule did at Baylor).  He apparently developed a good reputation as a strong recruiter while at UNO as an assistant.  

Head coaching record[edit]

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs D3/Coaches# AP°
Wisconsin–Whitewater Warhawks (Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) (2007–2014)
2007 Wisconsin–Whitewater 14–1 7–0 1st W NCAA Division III Championship 1  
2008 Wisconsin–Whitewater 13–2 6–1 1st L NCAA Division III Championship 2  
2009 Wisconsin–Whitewater 15–0 7–0 1st W NCAA Division III Championship 1  
2010 Wisconsin–Whitewater 15–0 7–0 1st W NCAA Division III Championship 1  
2011 Wisconsin–Whitewater 15–0 7–0 1st W NCAA Division III Championship 1  
2012 Wisconsin–Whitewater 7–3 5–2 T–2nd      
2013 Wisconsin–Whitewater 15–0 7–0 1st W NCAA Division III Championship 1  
2014 Wisconsin–Whitewater 15–0 7–0 1st W NCAA Division III Championship 1  
Wisconsin–Whitewater: 109–6 53–3  
Buffalo Bulls (Mid-American Conference) (2015–2020)
2015 Buffalo 5–7 3–5 4th (East)      
2016 Buffalo 2–10 1–7 6th (East)      
2017 Buffalo 6–6 4–4 T–3rd (East)      
2018 Buffalo 10–4 7–1 1st (East) L Dollar General    
2019 Buffalo 8–5 5–3 T–2nd (East) W Bahamas    
2020 Buffalo 6–1 5–0 1st (East) W Camellia 25 25
Buffalo: 37–33 25–20  
Kansas Jayhawks (Big 12 Conference) (2021–present)
2021 Kansas 2–10 1–8 10th      
2022 Kansas 6–4 3–4        
Kansas: 8–14 4–12  
Total:

154–53

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, HuskerofMN said:

That is why I am feeling it is, has been, Dave Aranda. I don't think Mickey could give info/feeling without knowing who would be new coach and knowing that that coach would fully retain Mickey.

Just one guy's opinion from up here in Minnesota who live next to annoying Iowa fans who in a span of 3 weeks have gone from fire the Ferentz family to just simply saying "that's Iowa football. We dominate the West."  

If Dave comes, then I hope he brings his OC and get Coach O to coach the D.  Dave would probably keep Busch too in some compacity.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Did Matt Rhule turn down the Cornhuskers this weekend? That was the word from several sources. Rhule had been the No. 1 candidate to replace Scott Frost. If Rhule has indeed taken his name out of consideration, that isn't necessarily a statement about the quality of the job. It's still a heavy lift for whoever takes Nebraska, but for Rhule, it may be a further indicator that he intends to sit out 2023 to rest and retrench. Rhule is at a point in his career where he can have his pick of jobs and not have to settle. His first two college jobs were bottom-of-the-barrel, last-place types (Temple, Baylor), but he made his reputation with worst-to-first success stories.

If Rhule is no longer available, does Nebraska turn its attention to Kansas' Lance Leipold? The 58-year-old coach has deep roots in the state of Nebraska as a former analyst at Nebraska-Omaha and assistant under Frank Solich with the Huskers. Has the shine worn off, though? The Jayhawks started 5-0 and were ranked but will finish 6-6 if they lose to Kansas State this week. Another name to watch at Nebraska: Washington first-year coach Kalen DeBoer.

I’ll take DeBoer by a mile over Riley 2.0.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Someone mentioned that our recruits have basically staying loyal as well as current players.  It makes me wonder if MJ knows everything, his place in the everything and is cool with it and he's dropped enough breadcrumbs for recruits like Coleman to be cool with it all.   As you note, not only has word not gotten out our our AD office but it hasn't been revealed by the other side- the new coach's environment.  

If it is true that Trev has had his guy for some time and that he got MJ to take the secrecy oath, then I'm saying Trev missed his calling.  Sign him up as CIA Director today!

C’mon guys! Where’s the Special Agent Trev photoshop? :)

Mickey certainly seems confident. We don’t know that he knows. At the very least he’s been given strong assurances.

I like Trev and respect him. He’s leveling with us to the greatest extent that he can. Should he fall short, it won’t be due to lack of effort. He doesn’t have control of the purse strings. That might not even be that much an issue.

He told us that we’d hear many names, that it doesn’t necessarily mean that those persons are candidates. Essentially he’d be collecting intelligence to use to our advantage.

7 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

I’ll take DeBoer by a mile over Riley 2.0.

I agree - except I would not classify Leipold as Riley 2.0.  I think he is much better than that.  Do you think Riley would have gotten Kansas to 6-6 (if they lose to KSU)?  Plus he was a big winner at his other stops. 

I do believe DeBoer has a greater upside. Younger, is a native to this area and is proving his worth out west.  While he hasn't had the time to build his resume like Leipold, he is most assuredly trending in the right direction.  His overall record is 88-11 wt the 3 NAIA championships at Sioux Falls.  What he lacks is big school experience outside of this year at UW.  But UW isn't the fishbowl that Nebraska is.  So, I'd be concerned how he would perform here.  Therefore, he is down my list a ways.  Maybe like Klieman, he is a diamond in the rough.  :dunno