Who should our next HC be?

2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

The BIg 10 move,  the fact we don't have a natural rival anymore.   

The Big10 move is the only thing that we did right over the past 20 years and is one of the few reasons we remain relevant and also have the finances to spend on coaches. 

Also. Coaches don’t give 2 poops about rivals. 

You are right about recruiting challenges.  But, that’s the only thing that made sense.

Trev has his guy and it will be a home run, I have little doubt. 

I would not say that Trev is a failure.  I would say that the interest in Nebraska Football is a failure.  The BIg 10 move,  the fact we don't have a natural rival anymore, and we have no recruiting grounds established is the failure.  Money apparently can't bring in that big name we all desire.  Trev is finding out most likely that this job is not that appealing, just like Pedersen, Osborne, and Eichorst found out before him.  This is all if we don't end up with a big name.  I wouldn't complain about Leipold or Klieman, or Fickell.  I would say that Trev is a fine job if we get those guys, whomever it is

Fickell is a Home run hire, that’s why I’m convinced we aren’t getting him. With multiple reports of Trev trying to go cheap and now names like Doeren and Bronco being floated, both of who are awful options. Adding to the fact that Trev fired Frost before the buyout date with no plan on who his guy was means he has been a failure. I don’t buy there isn’t an interest in Nebraska, I buy that we hired an AD who is as incompetent as his predecessors and botched this search.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 4
  • TBH 1

I would not say that Trev is a failure.  I would say that the interest in Nebraska Football is a failure.  The BIg 10 move,  the fact we don't have a natural rival anymore, and we have no recruiting grounds established is the failure.  Money apparently can't bring in that big name we all desire.  Trev is finding out most likely that this job is not that appealing, just like Pedersen, Osborne, and Eichorst found out before him.  This is all if we don't end up with a big name.  I wouldn't complain about Leipold or Klieman, or Fickell.  I would say that Trev is a fine job if we get those guys, whomever it is

Trev didn't create the mess. It's a manifestation of various contributing factors over time. I'm sure that he is dealing with some degree of financial limits that's beyond his control. The amount of kool aid we've been offered over the years and lack of success however is...very disheartening. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

The only way I would view this a failure is if we end up with some coordinator from Bama or like school.  That would tell me that we actually are not relevant in the college football hierarchy.  To think that we are causing a few sitting coaches to get extended contracts already is a head scratching sight.  Fact is with the ever changing landscape, teams moving from one conference to another, no one knows what is coming in the future.  Heck, being at a school like Kansas might pay huge dividends.......Washington Huskies..........Kentucky..............you never know what is coming around the corner.  I think if you have a current P5 job, it might be worth staying put if your having some success. 

We should def avoid Bama coordinators like Lane Kiffin or Kirby Smart. Good to avoid Georgia coaches also so don't try for Dan Lanning 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

The Big10 move is the only thing that we did right over the past 20 years and is one of the few reasons we remain relevant and also have the finances to spend on coaches. 

Also. Coaches don’t give 2 poops about rivals. 

You are right about recruiting challenges.  But, that’s the only thing that made sense.

Trev has his guy and it will be a home run, I have little doubt. 

I pray that's right. 

Super curious to know, in situations like Frost where he was essentially made to hire Mickey or in Wiscy where Jim Leonard was on staff beforehand and is likely to be named coach, how does the sitting/ former head coach feel knowing that they were undermined by a subordinate that worked directly with their boss to remove them from their job??

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Then Trev needs to be fired on the spot. You don’t fire Frost early and pay his buyout to hire an interim coach. 

It sure doesn't make sense does it...The thing is though, how much blame does Trev shoulder? I've said it before and I'll say it again, meddling that I suspect has been going on is a part of our problem. Another reason perhaps how coaches might have second thoughts considering. Those that he answers to seem to think that Trev is doing incredible work according to their praise. How are they measuring that? 

10 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Better not be MJ.... he's not ready to be a HC yet :facepalm:

This isn't necessarily true.

I don't know who it'll be but other than a couple of big time names like Meyer, Joseph probably has the ability to put together the best assistant coaching staff for Nebraska's specific situation than other names mentioned like Deboer or Kleiman.

And those names matter more than ever before with recruiting needs.

If Fickell is hired, most people know Tressel and Coombs on the Bearcat staff and that's about it.

.....and Coombs was fired by Ryan Day.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1