Who should our next HC be?

Lived in NC for quite a while.  Not a fan of Doren.  A middle of the road coach in a weak conference.  And his best finish has been 9 wins.  Better than Frost?  yes.  Getting us to where NU wants to be?  No, IMHO.  Just an average HC who won't move the needle much.  If it's him, I hope that I am wrong about his abilities.  Possibly would bring Beck and Garrison, which would be the best part of the hire.

19 minutes ago, lo country said:

This is like the 50th sure thing this guy has tweeted.  

On a MJ note, I did read this and thought it speaks volumes as to who ever our new HC will be.  You have to know your audience (conference).

You have to really adapt to the conference. "Your team has to kind of look like the team you play every week, and you have to surround yourself with people that understand or see it through their eyes, and see it from the balcony and not the basement."

Interesting. A very different take than Tom Osborne had. 

41 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

So nobody on Huskerboard can answer my question about Luke Fickell that I posted way earlier? I ask bc Im trying to understand that's all.

Fickell has been nothing short of outstanding at Cincy. He's 57-17, he and his staff appear to be good recruiters, and he preaches about the LOS being your team's greatest strength.

You'll probably need to Google his schemes if you're interested in that. Defensively their "base" is a 3-3-5 but, like any good defense, they mix & match. Offensively, they run a balanced up-tempo offense mostly out of shotgun.

No clue on his staffing decisions. My advice is to not get caught up in that stuff too much and just trust that whomever the new HC is puts together a staff that he thinks gives him the best opportunity to win. It is highly likely that he'd bring at least a portion of his current staff with him. It is rare that a new HC build a staff of people he hasn't worked with before or had coach for them before.

• Plus1 5

1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Interesting. A very different take than Tom Osborne had. 

Unsure if you are comparing Frost to TO, but TO was one of the greatest coaches to ever roam the sidelines.  He continually changed and morphed his offense and defense to win. Also MUCH different when you start at the top of the conference vs being a bottom feeder looking up.  

And maybe, just maybe, he wasn't referring to scheme, but physicality, discipline, fundamentals, mentality etc....Kind of the hallmarks of TO's teams...

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I mean,  who cares?  He's got his football team winning games.  If he was winning at Nebraska would anyone be saying "but but, the people he put in place to run a school didn't do their jobs".  nope. I really don't know anything about the school but unless Prime was there making these kids kneel on rice as punishment or some s#!t I don't care. 

I don’t care but institutions tend to care. 

24 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I think the program is in an incredibly difficult spot.

Just from the Roster standpoint alone, there appear to be 30 or more players that are MAC level players.

Overhauling the roster and simultaneously trying to get to 6 wins is going to be difficult for the next coach. They aren't exactly being handed a team full of young talent. Nebraska's roster is both young and untalented. 

The roster has a ways to go to be conference championship contenders, no question about it. But this roster is good enough for a quality coach to win a good amount of games.

Take this year for example. Write in Oklahoma and Michigan as losses. Maybe add Illinois to that as well, although I think they're beatable as well. With competent coaching (not including Mickey as incompetent, I'm referring to a good coach that has a full offseason and a good plan in all 3 phases), this team could win 8-9 games. That's as it's currently assembled.

People really need to stop with the doomsday stuff

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Here is something nobody's really given MJ any cred on... Even through this tumultuous season MJ has held together and actually even strengthened this class. Look at where Wisky currently sits. If we need something to point at for MJ being hired this is one.. are there more, likely but I'm too much of a novice to know. I'm also not privy to a list of coaches MJ would bring in. 

image.png.d139d89c7f60ae2f506125bbb5a3d377.png

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

25 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

Dang went from saying Mickey is the guy to maybe it is Fickell. Can't be wrong if you say everyone will be the head coach

Two days ago he posted a comment that Sipple said the new coach will come from Kansas. This morning he posted that Sipple said its not Klieman and then deleted the tweet. He is all over the board.

• Haha 1