Who should our next HC be?

4 minutes ago, M.A. said:

That seems to be growing contentious. I’ve watched both of his recent discussions. 

Rhule’s making the case that he wants to coach where he wants to that might involve compensation that’s less than what Carolina deems is his “fair market value”.

What is his value and how does his freedom to chose who to be employed by factor into the equation…

Hypothetically we might’ve offered him $8M where Carolina objected he’s worth more. 

If Carolina thinks he's worth more, they should have kept him as HC - give him time to prove that worth.  The fact that they fired him makes me think that they think he wasn't worth whatever they are now demanding. 

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Carolina's probably going to argue that he's worth $10M a year so that they don't have to pay him anymore.

Don't know how they could, with a straight face argue that, and if challenged in court, I don't think it could hold up. If he was truly worth $10M/ year, they would still be happily paying it. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, M.A. said:

That seems to be growing contentious. I’ve watched both of his recent discussions. 

Rhule’s making the case that he wants to coach where he wants to that might involve compensation that’s less than what Carolina deems is his “fair market value”.

What is his value and how does his freedom to chose who to be employed by factor into the equation…

Hypothetically we might’ve offered him $8M where Carolina objected he’s worth more. 

This shouldn't matter.  Carolina is on the hook for all $40 million if he goes and sips margaritas on the beach for the rest of his life. They should be HAPPY if anyone at all hires him and reduces the amount. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

This shouldn't matter.  Carolina is on the hook for all $40 million if he goes and sips margaritas on the beach for the rest of his life. They should be HAPPY if anyone at all hires him and reduces the amount. 

Exactly. That’s why I think this whole “but the Panthers think…” is BS. They should be happy to have a substantial amount of his buyout defrayed. And, if he’s actually the guy we want, I don’t think another $2M/yr is any kind of hurdle.

6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

One would think so…

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

If Carolina thinks he's worth more, they should have kept him as HC - give him time to prove that worth.  The fact that they fired him makes me think that they think he wasn't worth whatever they are now demanding. 

The agreement should be honored and they should accept responsibility for their error. 

16 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Super curious to know, in situations like Frost where he was essentially made to hire Mickey or in Wiscy where Jim Leonard was on staff beforehand and is likely to be named coach, how does the sitting/ former head coach feel knowing that they were undermined by a subordinate that worked directly with their boss to remove them from their job??

I have often thought of situations like this.. happens often in the corporate world.

Mickey was hired “off the street” and named Associate Head Coach immediately.  I think he was Trev’s plan all along.  Mickey is the next coach.. a good, safe and cost effective option if no better candidate is available. 

9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

That's what has me confused about all this.  I never really heard about the previous employer having really any standing on this.  They have to pay him x amount, minus what he makes from somewhere else.  I don't really understand how they could be holding things up.  It would seem that their only recourse would be to sue Rhule and/or whoever his next employer is if they think it is a low-ball offer.  But I don't know how they get in the way ahead of time.

• Plus1 1

Per Greg Smith and Zack Carpenter:

“Dominoes are falling quickly in the college coaching world. Three coaches who have been mentioned as candidates for the Nebraska job – Mark Stoops (Kentucky), Kalen DeBoer (Washington) and Lance Leipold (Kansas) – all signed long-term extensions to stay at their current spots this week, with the news breaking on the latter two Tuesday night.

The moves are all pieces to a convoluted puzzle that Inside Nebraska has been putting together this week. The following is a report that we have compiled over the last three days, checking with several sources to get an accurate update on the latest developments in the Huskers’ search:

There has been a lot of talk over the last week about whether or not former Carolina Panthers coach Matt Rhule is still in the running for the Nebraska job. Talking with multiple sources, we can first confirm that Rhule has been a serious candidate and the lead candidate for the Nebraska job. There is confirmed interest on both sides.

We are told by multiple sources Rhule has not turned down the Nebraska job. We can also confirm that no deal has been made with Rhule or any other candidate. In regard to Rhule: A snag was hit recently during negotiations, but that setback was not due to Rhule turning down the Huskers, according to multiple sources. That delay was caused by contractual issues centered around his buyout with the Panthers. Inside Nebraska is not ready to eliminate him as a candidate to become the next coach at Nebraska, but it would take more negotiations to make it happen.

We are nearing the goal line of the coach search, but there remains time to close the gap on any potential buyout settlements or salary offset language with Rhule.”

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

That's what has me confused about all this.  I never really heard about the previous employer having really any standing on this.  They have to pay him x amount, minus what he makes from somewhere else.  I don't really understand how they could be holding things up.  It would seem that their only recourse would be to sue Rhule and/or whoever his next employer is if they think it is a low-ball offer.  But I don't know how they get in the way ahead of time.

Exactly.  If there is any truth to Carolina needing to agree to something, I would think it would be very easy to remedy and they wouldn't have the power to completely disrupt him getting another job.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Right, but from Rhule's perspective it's more about the amount of guaranteed money in our contract, I'd say.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Right, but from Rhule's perspective it's more about the amount of guaranteed money in our contract, I'd say.

The one area where I could see there being a snag is on incentive based compensation.  However, I would think there would be pretty heavy precedent in the industry to even handle that.