Who should our next HC be?

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Right, but from Rhule's perspective it's more about the amount of guaranteed money in our contract, I'd say.

Is any of the money NOT guaranteed?  Other than performance bonuses (CCGs, bowl games, playoff qualifications, etc.) I don't recall ever hearing of college coach contracts not being guaranteed.

Just now, Mavric said:

Is any of the money NOT guaranteed?  Other than performance bonuses (CCGs, bowl games, playoff qualifications, etc.) I don't recall ever hearing of college coach contracts not being guaranteed.

Maybe the issue was smaller guarantee with larger performance bonuses than standard averages?

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I think that sounds right, Mav. But I just mean, whatever the total amount of guaranteed money is (length of contract X salary per year).

2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

So nobody on Huskerboard can answer my question about Luke Fickell that I posted way earlier? I ask bc Im trying to understand that's all.

Luke Fickell is not anywhere close to the SF scenario. IMO, LF would be a homerun hire. LF was on OSU's staff under Jim Tressel for 9 seasons, the last 6 as the Co-DC/LB coach. He then had a stint as the interim HC at Ohio State for a season (2011) after JT left due to the scandal. Urban Meyer retained him on his new staff at OSU as the CO-DC/LB coach for 5 more seasons. LF then took the Cinncinati job in 2017.

LF took over at Cincy after Tommy Tuberville was let go; TT inherited a 9-10 win Cincy program from Butch Jones and turned it into a 4 win program after 4 seasons and only 1 player drafted into the NFL. LF took a season to right the ship, winning only 4 games in his first season. After that, his Cincy teams went 11-2, 11-3, 9-1, and 13-1 last season (including an appearance in the CFB Playoff). His team last year had 9 players drafted into the NFL, including Sauce Gardiner, 5 of which went in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds. This year LF's team is 9-2, despite losing a ton of talent off of last year's team, a tribute to the depth he has built there. 

Overall LF has a wealth of experience coaching under 2 national title winning coaches, he has experience what being the HC at a big time program would be like (admittedly just for 1 season, but he also had to deal with all of the interim coach pressures & questions at OSU that MJ has dealt with this year at NU), and he has built Cincy into a powerhouse program that will be moving to a power 5 conference next year. 

LF emphasizes O-Line play (https://www.si.com/college/cincinnati/football/luke-fickell-we-are-an-offensive-line-driven-program), culture, and player development. He also has the ability to properly assess and recruit talent, Cincy isn't quite as tough to recruit to as many non-P5 programs, but it doesn't have the same resources as say Nebraska. Despite the lack of resources, LF has Cincy 25th in the composite team recruiting rankings this year after inheriting a team that was in the 60's and 70's when he took over. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
9 minutes ago, Undone said:

The aquarium guy's caddy's chauffeur told me that Alberts nixed his "two chicks at the same time Fridays" rider.

Ahh… That’s some pretty wild stuff!

I’m sorry…I’m confused (not hard to do). Whos’s the aquarium guy referred to?

Also, intended to say incentive based rather than inventive based. Lol Suppose  the two could be used interchangeably. 

47 minutes ago, secretasianman said:

Does anyone really believe that Trev and Mickey haven’t talked about this?

That would be a gargantuan elephant wooly mammoth in the room , everyday, every room ..

Trev:  Hey Mickey.. what’s up ?

Mickey:  Nothin’.

Both:  Welp.. see ya later !

I believe it, if and only if Trev communicated to MJ how this process was going to go, and I would expect (hope) he did. We don't really know what kind of conversations they had behind closed doors and how candid they were/weren't with one another. It's entirely possible that Trev level-set from the beginning that he wanted MJ to focus on the team, and that if he was interested in the HC position, they would evaluate and discuss once the season neared an end or wrapped up.

MJ's also not a dumb man. He would've known that Trev would be conducting a full and thorough search in the process. That's Trev's job.

1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

The roster has a ways to go to be conference championship contenders, no question about it. But this roster is good enough for a quality coach to win a good amount of games.

Take this year for example. Write in Oklahoma and Michigan as losses. Maybe add Illinois to that as well, although I think they're beatable as well. With competent coaching (not including Mickey as incompetent, I'm referring to a good coach that has a full offseason and a good plan in all 3 phases), this team could win 8-9 games. That's as it's currently assembled.

People really need to stop with the doomsday stuff

I respectfully disagree. There are several roster spots where the talent of the players are huge questions. As other posters have talked about, it's a talent AND development issue.

Take quarterback: even with multiple scholarship QBs, Freshman walk-on Jarrett Synek was ahead of scholarship players Haarberg and Torres.

At TE: despite having 4 healthy scholarship players behind starter Vokolek, walk-on players Brewington and Boerkircher (RFr) are backups. 

WR: Walk-on Brody Belt and converted CB Tommi Hill are higher on the depth chart than scholarship players Kamonte Grimes and Shawn Hardy II, despite both players now having nearly 2 years in the system. There are also 2 Scholarship true Freshman options Hill has also beat out for playing time. 

DT: despite having 3 RFr and 1 RSo on the roster, walk-on Colton Feist has beat out 4 scholarship players with 2 or more years in the system.

Across the rest of the defense, it's quite obvious that players like Snodgrass, Malcom, Pola-Gates, etc. are probably not P5 level players. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, sho said:

Maybe the issue was smaller guarantee with larger performance bonuses than standard averages?

I believe this would be a difficult selling point for any new HC, just based on the coaching industry and how the free market works in general. The typical CFB coaching bonus structure is maybe a 5% bonus for X, a 10% bonus for Y, etc. Coaches won't sign a contract that's heavily incentive based, and universities likely wouldn't be able to attract a coach if they tried that strategy... because then another university would just swipe in with the guaranteed money and get the guy they want.

42 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed.

We've hauled in enough 4 star offensive linemen to put something decent together. The problem in my opinion was poor fundamentals coaching, a culture that was poor on motivation & competition, and then a lack of developing depth in the 2nd & 3rd deep to get guys ready for years 4 and 5.

I've always wondered why the 4 star athletes don't perform at Nebraska.  Several kids on our o-line were 4 star recruits but when I see them get whooped by the interior lines in the B1G, I just shake my head.  I can't understand how someone gets a 4 star ranking out of high school and then when they get to Nebraska they have flat feet.  Is there really that much improvement they need in college?  How much of their star ranking is based on potential for future development?  It's almost like this new staff needs to find the kids that have the best footwork and pure skill and then worry about adding to their frame.

• TBH 2
2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I believe this would be a difficult selling point for any new HC, just based on the coaching industry and how the free market works in general. The typical CFB coaching bonus structure is maybe a 5% bonus for X, a 10% bonus for Y, etc. Coaches won't sign a contract that's heavily incentive based, and universities likely wouldn't be able to attract a coach if they tried that strategy... because then another university would just swipe in with the guaranteed money and get the guy they want.

Not for Rhule since he's got the guaranteed money already.  Hence going low on guaranteed money and high on bonus, since he's getting the same either way.  And maybe that's where there was a snag on FMV for him with the Panthers.  

• Fire 1