Who should our next HC be?

3 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Take quarterback: even with multiple scholarship QBs, Freshman walk-on Jarrett Synek was ahead of scholarship players Haarberg and Torres.

Thompson was good enough to win way more games.  It's not like you're substituting these other guys in during the games.  The games Thompson has missed due to injury, are pertinent to your comments though.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

At TE: despite having 4 healthy scholarship players behind starter Vokolek, walk-on players Brewington and Boerkircher (RFr) are backups. 

Again, Vokolek is very good.  I would say Brewington is good enough to warrant being a backup.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

WR: Walk-on Brody Belt and converted CB Tommi Hill are higher on the depth chart than scholarship players Kamonte Grimes and Shawn Hardy II, despite both players now having nearly 2 years in the system. There are also 2 Scholarship true Freshman options Hill has also beat out for playing time. 

This is an area that has been very frustrating, until this year.  I believe we have talent enough on the field this year to do better.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

DT: despite having 3 RFr and 1 RSo on the roster, walk-on Colton Feist has beat out 4 scholarship players with 2 or more years in the system.

And yet, he's arguably been our best D lineman this year.  Maybe this is a case where a walkon was actually a decent player.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Across the rest of the defense, it's quite obvious that players like Snodgrass, Malcom, Pola-Gates, etc. are probably not P5 level players. 

But, have these guys really played much?  There's clearly a talent gap between the starters and these guys.

What this boils down to is, our O line has sucked.  Our D line has had issues, but nowhere close to as bad as the O line.  If the O line were at least average or above, we win more games this year.

• Plus1 1

Just now, MasterPulverizer said:

I've always wondered why the 4 star athletes don't perform at Nebraska.  Several kids on our o-line were 4 star recruits but when I see them get whooped by the interior lines in the B1G, I just shake my head.  I can't understand how someone gets a 4 star ranking out of high school and then when they get to Nebraska they have flat feet.  Is there really that much improvement they need in college?  How much of their star ranking is based on potential for future development?  It's almost like this new staff needs to find the kids that have the best footwork and pure skill and then worry about adding to their frame.

Linemen are perhaps one of the most difficult position groups to forecast. I would personally consider star ratings mostly based on potential, and with linemen it's even moreso, because very few of them come into college with the right weight or sound technique. It's probably the one position group that requires the most development on the field and off.

There are also a lot of guys who come into college weighing 250, 260, or 270, but then they need to be 290 or 300 and figure out how to play at that weight and maintain it. It's a pretty big task and I think that's something Nebraska has quite frankly failed at. It's hasn't been so much about the the talent identification piece. I think Nebraska has recruited some guys that could've turned into all-conference caliber linemen. But, these kids get here, get into the system, get the weight, get onto the field and... get pushed around. That's just pure coaching, culture, and development.

• Thanks 1

We keep talking about the dumpster fire and long rebuild the next coach will inherit.

But isn't Nebraska literally and obviously close? As in that same MAC level talent taking ranked teams to the wire last season? And couldn't merely a couple key players or plays have turned Northwestern, Georgia Southern, Purdue, Minnesota, and Wisconsin into wins, putting the Huskers at 8-3 heading into Iowa and a bowl game? 

Imagine the difference just marginally better offensive linemen would make. Or a slightly more cohesive offensive scheme. Or the kind of fourth quarter confidence that comes directly from coaching. It is literally the difference between 3-9 and 8-4 and it actually can happen overnight. Especially with a smart coaching staff and a lively portal. You know the secret to a winning culture? It's winning. 

I have absolutely no trouble dumping my hefty expectations on the new guy. Or gal. Let's not close any doors. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 3
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We keep talking about the dumpster fire and long rebuild the next coach will inherit.

But isn't Nebraska literally and obviously close? As in that same MAC level talent taking ranked teams to the wire last season? And couldn't merely a couple key players or plays have turned Northwestern, Georgia Southern, Purdue, Minnesota, and Wisconsin into wins, putting the Huskers at 8-3 heading into Iowa and a bowl game? 

Imagine the difference just marginally better offensive linemen would make. Or a slightly more cohesive offensive scheme. Or the kind of fourth quarter confidence that comes directly from coaching. It is literally the difference between 3-9 and 8-4 and it actually can happen overnight. Especially with a smart coaching staff and a lively portal. You know the secret to a winning culture? It's winning. 

I have absolutely no trouble dumping my hefty expectations on the new guy. Or gal. Let's not close any doors. 

yes.

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If Thompson stays and comes into game one of next season healthy, then we have a team that could make a bowl next year (just like we had a team that could have made a bowl this year).

Terrible defensive scheming/coaching led to us losing to Northwestern & Georgia Southern. To prove this, we played a nearly identical team to Georgia Southern two weeks after that game (Indiana) with similar or greater talent, but played with a completely different and more aggressive defensive strategy, and held them to 21 points.

We should be 5-6 right now. And if Thompson had been healthy against Minnesota we probably would have won that one.

But, if Thompson for some reason doesn't play next year I think we could easily be the same exact 3-9 dumpster fire we've been the past two seasons. 

26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There were a couple that were down to the wire and several that really weren't. 

16 minutes ago, sho said:

Not for Rhule since he's got the guaranteed money already.  Hence going low on guaranteed money and high on bonus, since he's getting the same either way.

That money isn't guaranteed if Rhule takes another job. Rhule had offsetting language in his Carolina contract that stated Carolina could recoup most if not all of their buyout losses if he got another job, so that's probably what the snag was related to. Rhule is sitting on a $40 million cash cow. He would want to make comparable guaranteed money from whomever hired him. It would be completely illogical to throw away the $40 million in exchange for a contact with a lower guaranteed base salary and higher incentives.

2 minutes ago, M.A. said:

A guy with no clear Nebraska ties and a relatively small Twitter following spreading rumors about what Nebraska is offering contractually.

Sorry, M.A., this isn't directed at you. But I trust 1-ply toilet paper more than that guy.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 5
23 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think a bowl game is entirely possible next year.

There are 130 FBS teams.  We play 4 that are currently 111th or worse:

Colorado 126th in SP+

No Illinois 117th in SP+

La Tech 120th in SP+

Northwestern 111th in SP+

Then to make a bowl we just need to get 2 wins from Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Mich State, Maryland, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1