Who should our next HC be?

30 minutes ago, Undone said:

If Thompson stays and comes into game one of next season healthy, then we have a team that could make a bowl next year (just like we had a team that could have made a bowl this year).

Terrible defensive scheming/coaching led to us losing to Northwestern & Georgia Southern. To prove this, we played a nearly identical team to Georgia Southern two weeks after that game (Indiana) with similar or greater talent, but played with a completely different and more aggressive defensive strategy, and held them to 21 points.

We should be 5-6 right now. And if Thompson had been healthy against Minnesota we probably would have won that one.

But, if Thompson for some reason doesn't play next year I think we could easily be the same exact 3-9 dumpster fire we've been the past two seasons. 

If we were able to display any form of competence and consistency we SHOULD be 7-4 right now at a minimum and honestly 8-3.  

Nortwestern should have been a win.  Georgia Southern should have been a blow out.  We SHOULD have beat the s#!t out of the worst team wisconsin has fielded in 2 decades.  We should have clobbered a s#!tty minnesota squad with their back up qb and banged up rb.  One could easily make the case a competent staff and team with a pulse would've taken down a meh illinois squad.  

Theres a lot that needs to be fixed.  Luckily, the vast majority of the teams we play are s#!t to mediocre.  If we were in the east id say this is a 4 year rebuild, good thing we reside in the most embarassing division in p5, one year we could see 8 wins, 2 year we could be in indy, easily

37 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We keep talking about the dumpster fire and long rebuild the next coach will inherit.

But isn't Nebraska literally and obviously close? As in that same MAC level talent taking ranked teams to the wire last season? And couldn't merely a couple key players or plays have turned Northwestern, Georgia Southern, Purdue, Minnesota, and Wisconsin into wins, putting the Huskers at 8-3 heading into Iowa and a bowl game? 

Imagine the difference just marginally better offensive linemen would make. Or a slightly more cohesive offensive scheme. Or the kind of fourth quarter confidence that comes directly from coaching. It is literally the difference between 3-9 and 8-4 and it actually can happen overnight. Especially with a smart coaching staff and a lively portal. You know the secret to a winning culture? It's winning. 

I have absolutely no trouble dumping my hefty expectations on the new guy. Or gal. Let's not close any doors. 

I agree- some competent coaching will go a long way to solving our illness.   Not just the HC but across the assistant coaching spectrum. Frankly, no pun intended, Frank had the last fully competent staff in his earlier years.   Then attrition occurred.   Bo's staff was hit and miss and up and down.  About what you would expect from a first time HC. 

MR group really had issues and we spent the last 5 years watching SF staff struggle being on this level.

That is why I hope and expect the next HC to be someone who builds a quality staff of guys who know how to develop players.  I am hoping it is Rhule or Fickell. 

17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

A guy with no clear Nebraska ties and a relatively small Twitter following spreading rumors about what Nebraska is offering contractually.

Sorry, M.A., this isn't directed at you. But I trust 1-ply toilet paper more than that guy.

He's also a KU grad and a KU homer.

Think we can move on from this goob.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

Why has it been so hard for Nebraska to get good quality position coaches from other schools to develop the talent here? Alot of coaches that have been so called good position coaches get approach and leave. I understand that's the name of the game but too many times I've seen Nebraska let coaches become coaches with no or very little experience and that should never happen.

Unfortunately my guess is Trev had struck out a few times already on who to hire and we end up with Joseph as head coach. I was indifferent on Joseph being named the head coach and would have been happily content with seeing what he could build at Nebraska with his recruiting and coaching hires, but then the Wisconsin game happened and I felt like there were crucial moments in that game that could be blamed on the coaching staff and the lack of preparation in coaching the players. Also the continued beat down the offensive line takes on a weekly and annual basis was just too much for me. I know the offensive line isn't Joseph's fault, but I guess I expected at this point to just call a timeout and kick the entire unit off the field and take a microphone and announce the firing of the offensive line coach. 

With all that said, I still am holding out hope that Alberts surprises us all and makes a huge splash hire, but I have this feeling that we beat Iowa on Friday and from the celebration of beating Iowa and finishing the season at 4-8 he will announce Joseph as head coach Friday night. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
24 minutes ago, Enhance said:

A guy with no clear Nebraska ties and a relatively small Twitter following spreading rumors about what Nebraska is offering contractually.

Sorry, M.A., this isn't directed at you. But I trust 1-ply toilet paper more than that guy.

Understand, everything is taken with a grain of salt from here. Sometimes a very large one!

We’ll all have the actual agreed upon amount in the coming days after the official announcement.

B739AA5E-F978-41AD-A7CD-066CD70604CF.jpeg

28 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Nortwestern should have been a win.  Georgia Southern should have been a blow out.  We SHOULD have beat the s#!t out of the worst team wisconsin has fielded in 2 decades.  We should have clobbered a s#!tty minnesota squad with their back up qb and banged up rb.

I don't really agree that this year's Nebraska team should have done the two things you mention in reference to Wisconsin. Those are always solid teams on fundamentals, and we aren't, backup QB for the opponent or not.

But Northwestern & Georgia Southern are not better teams than we are. Hell, Northwestern has one win...and it was against us. They'll go 1-11.

• TBH 1