Who should our next HC be?

29 minutes ago, Farms said:

Underrated post.  This has been a hung up on me believing that Rhule is the guy.  Trev had a list last year, and had a list the day that Frost was fired.  Have a hard time thinking he was on either one of those.

Just Devil's Advocate a bit, Rhule was a very popular and highly thought of college football coach when he left Baylor. And if Trev had any sort of prior relationship or knowledge of Rhule, it would make absolute sense to have him on a list of candidates, particularly since Rhule's tenure at Carolina wasn't going swimmingly.

And maybe he wasn't on the list, but when news broke that he had been fired from Carolina, I had two different and unassociated friends (both of whom cover college football professionally) text me and say Nebraska should put him near the top of their coaching board. So, in the CFB world, I think a lot of eyebrows raised and light bulbs turned on when he became an option.

• Plus1 5

Matt Rhule. 

Think about this for a minute.  Carolina owes him $40 mil.  He wants every penny of that from them.  So would you.

A contract with Nebraska is $7 mil per year for 4 years.  $28 mil... For example.

The AD and Rhule would need to do a deal for 4 years, $68 mil, with Carolina and Huskers both paying.  

Carolina doesn't want do that (they want to decrease the amount they owe).

Things go stagnant from there. So he's out (thanks Carolina!)

2 minutes ago, admo said:

Matt Rhule. 

Think about this for a minute.  Carolina owes him $40 mil.  He wants every penny of that from them.  So would you.

A contract with Nebraska is $7 mil per year for 4 years.  $28 mil... For example.

The AD and Rhule would need to do a deal for 4 years, $68 mil, with Carolina and Huskers both paying.  

Carolina doesn't want do that (they want to decrease the amount they owe).

Things go stagnant from there. So he's out (thanks Carolina!)

That’s not how it works. Anything we pay him reduces his Carolina buyout. So he will get his $40M regardless, it just depends who pays it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I will play along.........is Rhule a good fit and or option for this program?  Aranda has benefited from his recruiting.  Can he recruit to a Big 10? 

While I do think he is a good coach, I wonder if he is ready for the work that needs done here.  Coaching is one thing, but developing talent is another.  How long do we think Franklin stays at Penn ST?  I really think that we don't get Rhule and wonder if we really want him if there is a chance he leaves for Penn ST.

Rhule did not do great at recruiting at Baylor but he was able to coach up the talent that he had. Nebraskas recruiting classes are often about 10 spots higher than Baylors per 247....this is just going off memory.

17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Just Devil's Advocate a bit, Rhule was a very popular and highly thought of college football coach when he left Baylor. And if Trev had any sort of prior relationship or knowledge of Rhule, it would make absolute sense to have him on a list of candidates, particularly since Rhule's tenure at Carolina wasn't going swimmingly.

And maybe he wasn't on the list, but when news broke that he had been fired from Carolina, I had two different and unassociated friends (both of whom cover college football professionally) text me and say Nebraska should put him near the top of their coaching board. So, in the CFB world, I think a lot of eyebrows raised and light bulbs turned on when he became an option.

Also, anyone could see how much Rhule was struggling at Carolina, and many thought he would be one of the first head coaches fired in the NFL this year. Given Rhule’s success in the college game, it would have been a stretch for Rhule to return to college coaching.  Since Trev was forced to wait a year to fire Frost, Trev might as well update his master list as things change and progress. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Rhule did not do great at recruiting at Baylor but he was able to coach up the talent that he had. Nebraskas recruiting classes are often about 10 spots higher than Baylors per 247....this is just going off memory.

I don’t know where his classes ranked but it seems he left the cupboards well stocked for Aranda, not to mention the crap he had to cleanup after Briles BS.

And Nebraska has recruited better than most of the B1G. We see what good recruiting alone has done. I’ll take his record of recruiting and development any day….and twice this coming Sunday/Monday.

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Yep here we go.  Cue up the “did more with less resources” convo.  I keep that one in my “R” file … under Riley.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Rhule must have done well enough to bring in talent after the Briles fallout to have Baylor winning in year 3 of his tenure there, and many people want to take away credit from Aranda’s success at Baylor because his Big 12 title in 2021 was “built off Rhule’s players”. Looks like he was able to recruit and develop well enough. 

• Plus1 1