Who should our next HC be?

13 minutes ago, Enhance said:

To the bolded, it should be blatantly obvious, but there seemed to be some confusion in previous posts about what Nebraska would pay in conjunction to Carolina. Somebody was throwing around some figure of $70 million and it was confusing as hell.

I personally doubt Carolina would agree to a deal so heavily based in incentives, and Nebraska (probably) wouldn't offer a contract like that. That would be unheard of. College football coach contracts are not incenctive-laden. In 2021, a TOTAL of $13.8 million in incentives were paid out to coaches. $850,000 of that alone went to Kirby Smart for his CFP victories.

And think about this from Rhule's perspective - he'd have to be out of his damn mind to shut down a guaranteed $40 million in exchange for at best half of that.

That makes sense.  I’ve also seen rumors tho of Nebraska leading with an offer heavily laced in incentives hence what I laid out. All that said, feel like 100% of what we read is BS as no one outside of trev, a couple in the agency and said coach, have any idea wtf is transpiring.. which is a good thing 

On the incentive part, that’s great info u laid out, didn’t realize the total was that small across the country.  I wonder if we ever see a shift at a macro level where incentive based contracts play a bigger role. You’d think after a while ADs and regents get sick and tired of these insanely high guaranteed deals/buyouts aka jimbo and Mel tucker, to name a few 

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

Great post.

The right coach can take a losing program, and have a quick turnaround.

Head coach of Arkansas Lou Holtz decided to suspend 3 players, (2 starters) before the 1977 Orange
Bowl against #2 Oklahoma,  players wanted to boycott playing . Gov.
Bill Clinton pleaded with Holtz to reconsider. He didn’t. Arkansas won as a large dog.

No. Carolina St. in 1971  went 3-8
1972 first year coach Holtz coached them to 8-3-1, took them to and won Peach Bowl vs. West Virginia

Arkansas in 1977  went 5-5-1
1978  first year coach Holtz went to 10-1, took them to and won Orange Bowl vs. #2 Oklahoma

Minnesota in 1983 went 1-10
1984  first year coach Holtz went 4-7, in second year, 1985, went 7-5 and won Independence Bowl

Notre Dame in 1985 went 5-6
1986 first year coach Holtz went 5-6, in second year 1987 went 8-4, going to Cotton Bowl

South Carolina in 1998 went 1-10
1999 first year coach Holtz went 0-11, second year 2000, went 8-4 going to Outback
    Bowl, beating Ohio St.

Just a little problem with this Bill Clinton did not become governor of Arkansas until 1993.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

On the incentive part, that’s great info u laid out, didn’t realize the total was that small across the country.  I wonder if we ever see a shift at a macro level where incentive based contracts play a bigger role. You’d think after a while ADs and regents get sick and tired of these insanely high guaranteed deals/buyouts aka jimbo and Mel tucker, to name a few 

Funny you should ask :D - I had a post about about this a bit earlier in the thread, in response to someone else.

Personally, I doubt we'll see a macro-level shift to incentive-based contracts. It's not really how the free market works. Universities want to lock candidates down and coaches want guarantees. Much of the FBS (particularly the P5) has the resources to do so, and the economic impact of finding a successful coach is often considerable, particularly in a state like Nebraska.

In my opinion, a shift to incentive-based contracts would require near universal adoption for it work, but the power players have no real reason to do that and play nice with one another. Somebody will just offer a coach the guaranteed money and snipe them away from the university trying to offer incentives. It'd what I'd do in order to get the coach I want.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, Enhance said:

To the bolded, it should be blatantly obvious, but there seemed to be some confusion in previous posts about what Nebraska would pay in conjunction to Carolina. Somebody was throwing around some figure of $70 million and it was confusing as hell.

I personally doubt Carolina would agree to a deal so heavily based in incentives, and Nebraska (probably) wouldn't offer a contract like that. That would be unheard of. College football coach contracts are not incenctive-laden. In 2021, a TOTAL of $13.8 million in incentives were paid out to coaches. $850,000 of that alone went to Kirby Smart for his CFP victories.

And think about this from Rhule's perspective - he'd have to be out of his damn mind to shut down a guaranteed $40 million in exchange for at best half of that.

Nice belly shot.  Kinda low blow.  And you know it.  How rude.

Rhule is not coming to Nebraska.  He is being paid lottery money.  Set for life. Over $40 million dollars.  Can do Tv analyst for 3-4 years, get another HC job at 51 and make even more money. Then go somewhere a few years later at a premier spot and make even more.  That's the financial goal in life for everyone.  He's not going to start bargaining downward for money he already has coming.  To "rebuild for free".  Nobody would.  He has the upper hand, and a future.  Let's all move along.  I'm done with it.  

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
29 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

That makes sense.  I’ve also seen rumors tho of Nebraska leading with an offer heavily laced in incentives hence what I laid out. All that said, feel like 100% of what we read is BS as no one outside of trev, a couple in the agency and said coach, have any idea wtf is transpiring.. which is a good thing 

This will never happen.  The agents are too good and the ADs well...frankly aren't.  The Jimbo and Mel contracts were largely subsidized by booster money.  With the raw dollars that college football generates schools just end up dumping more money into football because they're too stupid to figure out how to spend it otherwise.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, admo said:

Nice belly shot.  Kinda low blow.  And you know it.  How rude.

Rhule is not coming to Nebraska.  He is being paid lottery money.  Set for life. Over $40 million dollars.  Can do Tv analyst for 3-4 years, get another HC job at 51 and make even more money. Then go somewhere a few years later at a premier spot and make even more.  That's the financial goal in life for everyone.  He's not going to start bargaining downward for money he already has coming.  To "rebuild for free".  Nobody would.  He has the upper hand, and a future.  Let's all move along.  I'm done with it.  

He wouldn’t do that. He already had retirement money prior to taking the Carolina job. Guys at that level want to pursue excellence and fame that is beyond money. 

depending on what A&M does with jimbo there isn’t a better option than us. 

peehaps you’re trying a reverse jinx and I wouldn’t blame ya, but let’s keep the hope going for Rhule as it would be a great hire 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

This will never happen.  The agents are too good and the ADs well...frankly aren't.  The Jimbo and Mel contracts were largely subsidized by booster money.  With the raw dollars that college football generates schools just end up dumping more money into football because they're too stupid to figure out how to spend it otherwise.

You’re prolly right. You have to wonder tho at some point, similar to tech and the downfall of that industry in the economy right now, is there just dumb money being handed out that isn’t warranted and something changes 

54 minutes ago, Enhance said:

But that guarantee is still guaranteed though..

I agree with all your points but in a theoretical world where Rhule takes this job for a 2mil base salary and doesn't hit any incentives, he's still getting 8mil per year from Carolina.