Who should our next HC be?

15 minutes ago, admo said:

I would be thrilled with Rhule or Fickell.  Dare I say it, even Monken or Mickey (because I want a leader of men on board, recruiting NFL guys, setting the players straight, being honest, building the brand and adjusting to Big Ten play).  

Trust me, fingers crossed we get someone most of us like by the end of the weekend. :)

I am 100% with you on all of those choices, though I would heavily prefer Monken over MJ.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, Stone Cold said:

Well i heard that today, then i come on here and see something someone threw out there about not being able to lock down the numbers on rhule so they threw a big number at urban and he took it.  So i was just trying to connect those two things possibly.  Which honestly makes sense, Rhule wants to coach, but the money needs to line up for Nebraska, Carolina, And Rhule.  So it could of been to me if it came down to it and nebraska was striking out on who they were trying to get, they threw a big number hail marry to Urban to lock this down.  My part of this is of course speculation, but if urban can be confirmed to be in lincoln at all within the past couple of days it would make it more substantial 

Rhule won't take any deal that makes him less than $40 million over the same span as the Carolina buyout.  With that He probably wants more than $8 million/year because he will have to be working.  And not sitting on some beach doing nothing....Carolina wants the contract be that and more, guaranteed, so they do not owe Rhule a dime.  IMHO, that makes it a very complicated deal to put together with each side trying to protect their own interests.  Rhule is not an idiot.  He has 5 years of film to see what he is getting into at NU.  He's not taking some "low" offer in order to have incentives to get more.  No guarantees in that.  And I am sure he sees the effort it will take.

Urb, if true, is a lot easier.  Here's the money, sign the dotted line and makes us relevant.  Like now.  

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

Seen a rumor that Rhule is looking at Geoff Collins as DC. 

Had great defenses at Miss St and Florida before flaming out hard as Tech’s head coach.

Him and Rhule go back from early stops in their careers.

And Tom Herman as his OC.  

Just now, caveman99 said:

I am 100% with you on all of those choices, though I would heavily prefer Monken over MJ.

Yeah and I thought I heard Monken said he would run a different offense, although I think it would be more of the Big Ten style.  Which means he would put his idea on paper and expect the OC to carry it out.  Just wonder what it would look like?  Michigan?  Illinois?  Minn?  Who knows... but still.... not too shabby

2 minutes ago, admo said:

Yeah and I thought I heard Monken said he would run a different offense, although I think it would be more of the Big Ten style.  Which means he would put his idea on paper and expect the OC to carry it out.  Just wonder what it would look like?  Michigan?  Illinois?  Minn?  Who knows... but still.... not too shabby

Pure guess, but I think it would be a run heavy power spread.with option elements. Monken is big on establishing Offensive and Defensive systems that fit the job, both culture and level of talent available. 

21 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

He wouldn’t do that. He already had retirement money prior to taking the Carolina job. Guys at that level want to pursue excellence and fame that is beyond money. 

depending on what A&M does with jimbo there isn’t a better option than us. 

peehaps you’re trying a reverse jinx and I wouldn’t blame ya, but let’s keep the hope going for Rhule as it would be a great hire 

To summarize, it’s in the interest of the Panthers that Rhule is employed.

We don’t know the specifics of the proposal to Rhule from Nebraska or what incentives were in it.

He’ll essentially get compensated the same amount 

either way if he works or not. He could do nothing for any amount of time if he so chooses. 

It’s clear that he wants to coach. Carolina will do what they can to minimize the sum owed Rhule within the parameters of the contract involving particulars or some finer points.

Their reluctance carries risk. He has leverage from a financial standpoint. 

Indications are that both parties are  mutually interested in working through it with Nebraska offering alternatives. If they’re talking, I’d say there’s a good chance of resolution of these issues. 

1 hour ago, JoseyWales said:

Just a little problem with this Bill Clinton did not become governor of Arkansas until 1993.

He was president in 1993....he was governor when Castro sent the Cuban over here (those that were in prison for crimes) and Clinton had to take em- think Scarface 

21 minutes ago, lo country said:

Rhule won't take any deal that makes him less than $40 million over the same span as the Carolina buyout.  With that He probably wants more than $8 million/year because he will have to be working.  And not sitting on some beach doing nothing....Carolina wants the contract be that and more, guaranteed, so they do not owe Rhule a dime.  IMHO, that makes it a very complicated deal to put together with each side trying to protect their own interests.  Rhule is not an idiot.  He has 5 years of film to see what he is getting into at NU.  He's not taking some "low" offer in order to have incentives to get more.  No guarantees in that.  And I am sure he sees the effort it will take.

Urb, if true, is a lot easier.  Here's the money, sign the dotted line and makes us relevant.  Like now.  

This is why i think its more now on Urban or maybe Fickell.  Trev may of wanted Rhule and it would of been a good hire.  But Rhule is not worth 9 mil a year, im sorry he is a guy i would of wanted but he doesnt have THAT good of a track record so the money doesnt add up.  But people are saying around the program that we as a fan base will be excited by the hire so that makes me say it was one of those top 4 that have been mentioned time and time again.  But if Rhule is a no can do then who could it be.  I think if you said, Urban will give you 8 mil for 3 years and then you can ride off in the sunset after you have set the ship straight.  Its possible, stranger things have happened.  

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Well i heard that today, then i come on here and see something someone threw out there about not being able to lock down the numbers on rhule so they threw a big number at urban and he took it.  So i was just trying to connect those two things possibly.  Which honestly makes sense, Rhule wants to coach, but the money needs to line up for Nebraska, Carolina, And Rhule.  So it could of been to me if it came down to it and nebraska was striking out on who they were trying to get, they threw a big number hail marry to Urban to lock this down.  My part of this is of course speculation, but if urban can be confirmed to be in lincoln at all within the past couple of days it would make it more substantial 

I see. I hadn’t heard anything involving Urban Meyer. 

6 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

This is why i think its more now on Urban or maybe Fickell.  Trev may of wanted Rhule and it would of been a good hire.  But Rhule is not worth 9 mil a year, im sorry he is a guy i would of wanted but he doesnt have THAT good of a track record so the money doesnt add up.  But people are saying around the program that we as a fan base will be excited by the hire so that makes me say it was one of those top 4 that have been mentioned time and time again.  But if Rhule is a no can do then who could it be.  I think if you said, Urban will give you 8 mil for 3 years and then you can ride off in the sunset after you have set the ship straight.  Its possible, stranger things have happened.  

The pick six pod cast was good today. Laid it out nicely “ in their opinion” that Rhule is the fall back plan if you don’t get what you want. Mentioned Fickell and Klieman #1 and 2 with Rhule #3. We may end up overpaying for the hire if the top 2 don’t pan out, but I am ok with that as long as we shoot our best shot with the top two. image.gif.cff8b40ca0b16db2b45ec01d3a0329f3.gif

2 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

The pick six pod cast was good today. Laid it out nicely “ in their opinion” that Rhule is the fall back plan if you don’t get what you want. Mentioned Fickell and Klieman #1 and 2 with Rhule #3. We may end up overpaying for the hire if the top 2 don’t pan out, but I am ok with that as long as we shoot our best shot with the top two. 

I like Rhule, really like that hire.  But thats alot of money, not all of the successfull SEC coaches make that much money.

And as far as the wives go, if you dont think i couldn't convince my pain in the butt fibromyalgia wife to move to Anchorage Alaska for 3 years for 24 million dollars then you dont know how the end will outweight the means.  Urban, Fickell could say, listen honey let me get my money from these fools for 3 years.  You just hush up and start finding a winter home in the Bahamas.  

48 minutes ago, Enhance said:

But why would Carolina agree to that deal? Rhule/Carolina hold most of the bargaining power.

With the guaranteed money Rhule has most of the leverage. Nebraska (or other interested party) has leverage too as they are in a position to lessen the burden on Carolina.

Carolina has leverage in that they know Nebraska is interested. They have the least leverage. That leverage is lessened the more viable options Nebraska has (Fickell, Etc).

Knowing that Rhule wants to coach gives them some leverage there.

It’s reduced to three parties winning or the three parties altogether losing.

There’s a good chance of resolution in my opinion. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1