Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

But why would Carolina agree to that deal? Rhule/Carolina hold most of the bargaining power.

Carolina has very little bargaining power, as their contract is signed and dried.  As long as it's a FMV deal, Carolina can do jacksquat about it.   The rumored issue was he was taking less than FMV guaranteed and loading up on bonuses, which doesn't reduce what Carolina would owe since it's not his base salary and that opens up potential litigation to reimburse Carolina to FMV.  It's hard to determine what is FMV, a lot of different metrics could be used to determine it.   As long as his contract isn't loaded with a high percentage of bonuses or isn't obscenely low, Carolina has no say.  The issue is, trying to incentivize Rhule with bonuses, but not breaking the bank on base salary to keep out of litigation. 

4 minutes ago, sho said:

Carolina has very little bargaining power, as their contract is signed and dried.  As long as it's a FMV deal, Carolina can do jacksquat about it.   The rumored issue was he was taking less than FMV guaranteed and loading up on bonuses, which doesn't reduce what Carolina would owe since it's not his base salary and that opens up potential litigation to reimburse Carolina to FMV.  It's hard to determine what is FMV, a lot of different metrics could be used to determine it.   As long as his contract isn't loaded with a high percentage of bonuses or isn't obscenely low, Carolina has no say.  The issue is, trying to incentivize Rhule with bonuses, but not breaking the bank on base salary to keep out of litigation. 

Didn't Riley get some crazy low ball salary after he got fired and we still had to pay?

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, M.A. said:

With the guaranteed money Rhule has most of the leverage. Nebraska (or other interested party) has leverage too as they are in a position to lessen the burden on Carolina.

Carolina has leverage in that they know Nebraska is interested. They have the least leverage. That leverage is lessened the more viable options Nebraska has (Fickell, Etc).

Knowing that Rhule wants to coach gives them some leverage there.

It’s reduced to three parties winning or the three parties altogether losing.

There’s a good chance of resolution in my opinion. 

Yep. Carolina has next to no leverage considering they’re already on the hook for $40M.  Rhule has the most leverage because he doesn’t have to do a thing to collect that 40. I think Nebraska is in a very good position to get it done.  I could be wrong but I think it’s already done.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, sho said:

I mean yes much of this is true, but Carolina actually could have quite a bit of influence, if his contract was written in the way these often are (which none of us really know). Carolina is the one with the offsetting language to recoup most if not all of that $40 million should he be hired. Same goes for @M.A. 's response.

It's obviously in Carolina's interest if Rhule gets hired, but Carolina and Rhule are the ones with the current contractual agreement, not Nebraska and Rhule. And typically speaking, there is language in those contracts to protect the employer (in this case, Carolina) from getting shivved by the employee a la the employee going off to sign a $1 million/year deal while Carolina continues to pay $9 million/year. Carolina's owner is laughably wealthy - they don't need to hire off Rhule. Sure they'd like to, but they don't need to. They're going to try and get theirs.

Again, it's all just speculation since we don't know the actual contract, but the early rumors tend to align with this perspective. If Rhule is hired and is going to make $6, $7, or $8 million dollars/year, then that's precisely what happened i.e. Nebraska taking on most of the debt, which is what Carolina wants... maybe even contractually entitled to depending on the clause.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, lo country said:

Didn't Riley get some crazy low ball salary after he got fired and we still had to pay?

Pelini did.  It's a matter of it being worth the litigation.  Once a new contract is signed the previous employer would have to do a Cost/Benefit Analysis to determine if it's worth the legal battle to prove he is under FMV.   And that's where it gets tricky because you can use so many different metrics and come up with a large variance on FMV.   Accountants will say "tell me the result you want, I can make the numbers show that."   And that's where it'll potentially pricy to fight it in court and wasn't worth it for Pelini and YSU.   So, as long as it's not a true low outlier and it's not overly incentive based contract, Carolina can sit and stew.    Realistically Nebraska can sign Rhule to a 5 year/30M contract and it can be argued that's a FMV.   But where's the benefit for Rhule in that?   You have to give him bonuses that are attainable, but not excessively high to make it worth his while.   Bonuses/incentives will not reduce what Carolina owes, just his base will.  So, you can structure the contract where Rhule can make over $10Mil/yearly, but still leave Carolina on the hook for a few mil.   Finding that balance is the tricky part.

• Plus1 1