Who should our next HC be?

24 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I mean yes much of this is true, but Carolina actually could have quite a bit of influence, if his contract was written in the way these often are (which none of us really know). Carolina is the one with the offsetting language to recoup most if not all of that $40 million should he be hired. Same goes for @M.A. 's response.

It's obviously in Carolina's interest if Rhule gets hired, but Carolina and Rhule are the ones with the current contractual agreement, not Nebraska and Rhule. And typically speaking, there is language in those contracts to protect the employer (in this case, Carolina) from getting shivved by the employee a la the employee going off to sign a $1 million/year deal while Carolina continues to pay $9 million/year. Carolina's owner is laughably wealthy - they don't need to hire off Rhule. Sure they'd like to, but they don't need to. They're going to try and get theirs.

Again, it's all just speculation since we don't know the actual contract, but the early rumors tend to align with this perspective. If Rhule is hired and is going to make $6, $7, or $8 million dollars/year, then that's precisely what happened i.e. Nebraska taking on most of the debt, which is what Carolina wants... maybe even contractually entitled to depending on the clause.

There’s an emotional aspect to it too. Rhule isn’t being contentious. He said that he came to Carolina because he believed they deserved a championship. That’s what he’s said recent in his appearances. It’s a demonstration of good will and respect.

Leverage has a psychological component to it as well. The owner of Carolina doesn’t like losing on the field or in the office.  Offer him a way out. If he views a settlement of the issue a win rather than a loss that gets things moving. 

If by default you’re forced from the table he loses. 

And that’s right about what you’re stating. We just don’t know what’s been proposed. It’s speculation.

7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Remove his first year at Temple and Baylor and it’s 44-22. Remove his first two years at each of those and it’s 31-10. Both places dumpster fire turnarounds.

I doubt I can sway you any as you seem set on another guy where apparently a 2-7 record doesn’t matter. But there is context involved in all of these numbers.

I’ll be a happy camper when Rhule is named HC in a few days.

I’ll be disappointed it’s not Fickell.  

• TBH 1

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Just piecing together a ton of stuff, this seems to me to be the scenario that fits the best:

Rhule was the #1 choice at least a couple of weeks ago.  He was even here at least once, probably twice.  The reports of the BoR meeting was not an official meeting but Trev letting them know that he thought he found his guy and running the terms by therm.  Trev was trying to get a deal done, but Carolina threw a fit.  My guess is it was in the $6-7M range and they wanted it to be basically the whole $10M or they weren’t going to let it fly.

Trev didn’t feel he should go any higher so that’s when the reports came out that he turned us down.  And that story morphed into the low-ball offer reports and not wanting to pay assistants.  And Trev started to move on to his next choices.  And that led to Trev’s comments about being good stewards of the resources he had.

But then a couple of the big-money boosters stepped in and said if that’s really who Trev wanted, we needed to pay what it took to get him here.  So they ponied up some extra cash - or pledged to contribute to something else - and that got us back in the picture.

The $9.2-ish million was enough to make Carolina happy and now we’re set for an announcement Saturday or Sunday with a press conference Sunday or Monday.

And once we had Rhule on the hook the other guys we had lined up as next choices - Liepold, DeBoer, etc. - signed the extensions that they had been offered when their schools found out they were looking around.

I will say again, i like Matt Rhule, he is my 1st choice.  But that is Urban money, that is Kiffin money.  Proven coach money, he is still somewhat of a risk.  Were not talking about chump change.  There is a big frigging difference between 7-9 million.  

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I will say again, i like Matt Rhule, he is my 1st choice.  But that is Urban money, that is Kiffin money.  Proven coach money, he is still somewhat of a risk.  Were not talking about chump change.  There is a big frigging difference between 7-9 million.  

We paid that much extra to fire a guy 2 weeks early. I’d say there isn’t much difference at all if that’s what it takes to get the guy you want. It’s basically Monopoly money.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Just piecing together a ton of stuff, this seems to me to be the scenario that fits the best:

Rhule was the #1 choice at least a couple of weeks ago.  He was even here at least once, probably twice.  The reports of the BoR meeting was not an official meeting but Trev letting them know that he thought he found his guy and running the terms by therm.  Trev was trying to get a deal done, but Carolina threw a fit.  My guess is it was in the $6-7M range and they wanted it to be basically the whole $10M or they weren’t going to let it fly.

Trev didn’t feel he should go any higher so that’s when the reports came out that he turned us down.  And that story morphed into the low-ball offer reports and not wanting to pay assistants.  And Trev started to move on to his next choices.  And that led to Trev’s comments about being good stewards of the resources he had.

But then a couple of the big-money boosters stepped in and said if that’s really who Trev wanted, we needed to pay what it took to get him here.  So they ponied up some extra cash - or pledged to contribute to something else - and that got us back in the picture.

The $9.2-ish million was enough to make Carolina happy and now we’re set for an announcement Saturday or Sunday with a press conference Sunday or Monday.

And once we had Rhule on the hook the other guys we had lined up as next choices - Liepold, DeBoer, etc. - signed the extensions that they had been offered when their schools found out they were looking around.

If there was a scenario where Trev asked for some additional financial leeway and was granted it I’m grateful for that.

We’re in a pretty bad place right now. Fans have been willing to do their part. They’re deserving of the very best that we can do.

14 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

But also it’s not something taxpayers are paying for right? The football coaches salary is pulled from the revenue the school receives and private donors correct? I know Covid hit the revenue stream hard, but the athletic department still runs in the black right? Just seems like we’re stuck in the penny pinchers mindset when it’s not needed, especially when the new TV rights roll in and the revenue takes another jump. 

edit: just thinking about that report a couple pages ago where we tried to frontload a lower cost for the duration of the Carolina contract and how it ended up going back to the drawing board.