Who should our next HC be?

49 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Kiffin is preoccupied with other jobs and twitter.  His flaky side is over the top for me, and would eventually wear on Husker nation as well.

Chadwell is being rumored to take over the Georgia Tech job last I saw.

Klieman is a solid coach, but I don't know if he is ready to move from what he is just getting started........his AD came from North Dakata ST as well.  They have a comfort level.

Sad thing is looking at KSU athletics overall, they are better at almost every sport other than Volleyball than Nebraska........how was this allowed to happen?  If Manhatten Kansas can attract good coaches, whats our issue?  Are we looking for the wrong hires?

To the bolded:  the answer is both yes and no.  Clownahan was the wrong hire.  He did bring some talent to Lincoln, but he wasn't a fit from the word go.  Bo was the right hire.  If one goes back and compares Bo's years here with TO's years early in his career, there isn't a tremendous amount of differences.  Did Bo get occasionally blown out?  Yes, he did.  TO lost 0-27 his first year to OU.  In TO's second season, he lost to both Wisconsin and Mizzou who both finished the season unranked and 7-4.  TO basically inherited a NC caliber team.  Bo inherited a somewhat talented team with a losing culture.  The other thing that I think cost Bo was the move from the Big 12 to the B1G halfway through his tenure here.  TO had an AD that had his back while Bo ended up with an AD amongst others that wanted him gone.  This brings us to the Mike Riley era.  I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I thought this was a good hire at the time.  It would have been better to have gotten him a bit earlier in his career, but I have always thought the guy was a good coach.  The reason it really didn't work out had as much to do with getting talent to Lincoln.  Scott Frost was also the right hire.  He basically suffered the same fate as Riley for the exact same reasons.  Lincoln is a tough place to recruit talent.  Frost came in with good intentions, but he got steamrolled.  

• TBH 1

Time to put in another 2 cents and do my part to get this to 800.

A few weeks ago I had a short list of coaches I would rather see hired over Mickey. Well, after going 0-4 since then my list has definitely expanded. I will always respect MJ for the work he’s done for the program this season, and I wish him the best in his future endeavors, whatever that may be. I still think he’s an excellent position coach and want him to be retained on staff, unless of course the new HC thinks of someone even better to coach WR. (To be honest, since MJ was made interim the receivers haven’t played that great, have they? They need him back in the WR room full time, imo). I think there are several candidates out there who have the needed head coaching experience to try and right this ship. There are definitely “tiers” to the list as some may have a better chance of success than others.

Tier 1 (Would be extremely excited and would make me quite giddy).

1. Luke Fickell

2. Mike Gundy

3. Matt Rhule

4. Chris Petersen

5. Lane Kiffin

Tier 2 (Would be cautiously optimistic).

6. Chris Klieman

7. Lance Leipold

8. Bill O’Brien

9. Dave Aranda

10. Dave Clawson

Tier 3 (Well, at least I won’t be saying, “coach who?”).

11. Jamey Chadwell

12. Gus Malzahn

13. Mark Stoops

14. Dave Doeren

15. Jeff Monken

If all these guys say no, you keep Mickey on as HC and pray he can put together a championship staff in the offseason (I do think one of my “top 15” will say yes, though).

Last but not least…

Tier 0.

#0. Urban Meyer (Would be even more excited than I would be for Tier 1, but there’s just a little trepidation about his character, or lack thereof).

I’m wondering if all these Matt Rhule contract rumors are just a red herring. The scuttlebutt I heard at my family’s Thanksgiving gathering is that Urban Meyer was definitively at Eppley this week (according to a family member’s trusted source who’s “connected”). Who knows what that means? Has Urban been the guy all along or is he just a liaison for Fickell?

I’d take Rhule in a heartbeat but there’s almost too many rumors/leaks about Rhule’s “contract” to be true. I’m wondering if it actually is going to be a home run hire, either Meyer or Fickell. Do I dare drink the kool-aid? Trev has kept a pretty tight lip throughout this search. I’m trusting he’ll make the right decision and I’ll support the new HC whoever it may be.

Either way it’s going to be an exciting, anxiety inducing next 24-48 hours.

GBR!!!

• Oh Yeah! 3
13 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

If thats the case the Rhule is a question mark also.  I think the one who has staying power is Fickel, but is he going to stay here if the Ohio St job opens up.

Agree to some extent. Rhule already tested the “greener pasture” and failed. If he finds a top P5 gig, he may stay. Kiffin is a fart in a skillet. He is and will continue to be all over the board…

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, TheMeWho said:

Time to put in another 2 cents and do my part to get this to 800.

A few weeks ago I had a short list of coaches I would rather see hired over Mickey. Well, after going 0-4 since then my list has definitely expanded. I will always respect MJ for the work he’s done for the program this season, and I wish him the best in his future endeavors, whatever that may be. I still think he’s an excellent position coach and want him to be retained on staff, unless of course the new HC thinks of someone even better to coach WR. (To be honest, since MJ was made interim the receivers haven’t played that great, have they? They need him back in the WR room full time, imo). I think there are several candidates out there who have the needed head coaching experience to try and right this ship. There are definitely “tiers” to the list as some may have a better chance of success than others.

Tier 1 (Would be extremely excited and would make me quite giddy).

Luke Fickell

Mike Gundy

Matt Rhule

Chris Petersen

Lane Kiffin

Tier 2 (Would be cautiously optimistic).

Chris Klieman

Lance Leipold

Bill O’Brien

Dave Aranda

Dave Clawson

Tier 3 (Well, at least I won’t be saying, “coach who?”).

Jamey Chadwell

Gus Malzahn

Mark Stoops

Dave Doeren

Jeff Monken

If all these guys say no, you keep Mickey on as HC and pray he can put together a championship staff in the offseason (I do think one of my “top 15” will say yes, though).

Last but not least…

Tier 0.

#0. Urban Meyer (Would be even more excited than I would be for Tier 1, but there’s just a little trepidation about his character, or lack thereof).

I’m wondering if all these Matt Rhule contract rumors are just a red herring. The scuttlebutt I heard at my family’s Thanksgiving gathering is that Urban Meyer was definitively at Eppley this week (according to a family member’s trusted source who’s “connected”). Who knows what that means. Has Urban been the guy all along or is he just a liaison for Fickell?

I’d take Rhule in a heartbeat but there’s almost too many rumors/leaks about Rhule’s “contract” to be true. I’m wondering if it actually is going to be a home run hire, either Meyer or Fickell. Do I dare drink the kool-aid? Trev has kept a pretty tight lip throughout this search. I’m trusting he’ll make the right decision and I’ll support the new HC whoever it may be.

Either way it’s going to be an exciting, anxiety inducing next 24-48 hours.

GBR!!!

Eppley is a flight hub

I’ve been creeping on this board for the past 700 pages so maybe I’ll add my 2¢ to do my part to get to 800. 

for those who think recruiting is hard here: that’s bs. Casey and Trey would be stars if we could’ve won 8 games this year. We don’t have the natural recruiting base that other parts of the country have but if kids want to go play at Kansas for basketball, we can get a few key parts to Nebraska. 

Also, I also tend to believe this has been done for weeks. I have no sources just a feeling. 

when TA said he didn’t need to win the press conference, I didn’t take that as “I need a rough type of guy”, I took that as “I don’t need all of you to approve of this choice, I just need to find the right guy and and it may take a year to prove it.”

if Washington and Kanas State can succeed with guys who are good coaches from lower levels, I tend to think we could too, regardless of the burn we got from SF. 

it’ll be fun to see how this plays out and GBR!

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 minutes ago, Whatever said:

I’ve been creeping on this board for the past 700 pages so maybe I’ll add my 2¢ to do my part to get to 800. 

for those who think recruiting is hard here: that’s bs. Casey and Trey would be stars if we could’ve won 8 games this year. We don’t have the natural recruiting base that other parts of the country have but if kids want to go play at Kansas for basketball, we can get a few key parts to Nebraska. 

5 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Also, I also tend to believe this has been done for weeks. I have no sources just a feeling. 

when TA said he didn’t need to win the press conference, I didn’t take that as “I need a rough type of guy”, I took that as “I don’t need all of you to approve of this choice, I just need to find the right guy and and it may take a year to prove it.”

if Washington and Kanas State can succeed with guys who are good coaches from lower levels, I tend to think we could too, regardless of the burn we got from SF. 

I agree with your general sentiment, but I take exception to a couple of your points. 1) Palmer came to Nebraska, because of his close relationship with Mickey. I doubt we will entice many 5 star wide receivers without winning the NIL battle. And if the receiver is truly that special, we will struggle to outbid bigger programs. 2) Comparing Kansas basketball to Nebraska football is not helpful. Truly an apples to rotten fruit comparison. 

27 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Thank you for joining into the fray. Please post more. With that said I will refute a bit of your thoughts. Nebraska wasn’t hard to recruit to when 1. We had the best facilities 2. Our S&C was top notch 3. We were constantly in the top 5.  None of those have been the case for decades, in fact, we are sub par in each ( until new facilities are done soon)…. Kansas BB is not a fair comparison, bc they have stayed relevant and it is indoors. Plus BB players worth rarely stay in school for as long as other sports.

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, Caveman said:

I agree with your general sentiment, but I take exception to a couple of your points. 1) Palmer came to Nebraska, because of his close relationship with Mickey. I doubt we will entice many 5 star wide receivers without winning the NIL battle. And if the receiver is truly that special, we will struggle to outbid bigger programs. 2) Comparing Kansas basketball to Nebraska football is not helpful. Truly an apples to rotten fruit comparison. 

I think you and I are kinda agreeing here. My take was that even with NIL, facilities and all the bells and whistles, guys want to go to a winning program and they commit to a person. I come from the world of corporate team building and you might think that people will always go to where they can get paid the most but being apart of a successful team is time and time again what is most important for longevity of employees.

I believe that this next coach, whomever they are, will have a much better support network than any coach has had in 20+ years. That should speak more to the right coaching candidates and players than whether or not they are making 7 or 8 million. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1