Who should our next HC be?

12 hours ago, SE 0F RD said:

Thoughts on Bret Bielema?  After all we’ve been through I’d like to see us get back to power football like he did with Wisconsin. 

People will laugh but I really don't hate it. He looks like a good long-term solution for Illinois and they're playing solid fundamental football. I'd rather let Iowa deal with him after Kirk retires since he can be a wild card but there's a low-likelihood situation where he's our best option. 

11 hours ago, Dansker said:

I’m in the camp that we won’t be able to land a home run big named guy for HC. If I’m Trev, I would take a long look at Matt Entz at NDSU. He runs a power scheme and downhill running offense. Nebraska must return to its roots. Get back to being the pipeline as well. We should not have a worse OL than NW, Iowa, Wisconsin. Below is a nice link with clips of his scheme. Watching these clips would probably make most Nebraska fans drool. 

https://www.cover1.net/north-dakota-states-power-variations/

Entz runs a good offense and they do some nasty stuff in the run game I have two big issues with him as our coach, although I like him. 

1. This is a recruiting job. Picking off under-recruited kids from our 500 mile radius/texas/florida made NDSU a powerhouse but the blue-chip ratio is real. He doesn't have experience doing that and we don't really have time to waste in letting him figure it out in Lincoln.

2. The two coaches prior to him (Bohl and Kleiman) had similar or the same results, so it's hard to evaluate how good he is. I'd rather let him cut his teeth in the mountain west or Big 12. We have the luxury of hiring out of a bigger pool.

19 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

I've lurked here since at least 2016 and this will be my first comment, so bear with me.

Listened to split zone duo (recommend) this morning and found myself encouraged by what I heard Godfrey mention about the job once it opens up. He's as plugged in as anyone when it comes to coach openings and is as pragmatic and honest as they come in the national media.

This job has bones. Nationally, we have a great administration, good finances, and a great donor base. I'll hearken back to what was drilled into us when Scott was hired.. there is "unity of purpose" across our apparatus. In my opinion, we're also prime for NIL and a national recruiting operation. What will open up this year? Auburn is likely, as is UCLA, Arizona State, North Carolina, and I'll throw in Georgia Tech for the purposes of this argument. Last year, that question was answered with a dozen more prestigious jobs. Most of the coaches at Tier A and B schools are under massive contracts, in year 0/1 or building towards something they can use a springboard, so I don't see this being a crazy year. To make things more interesting, a college football environment in flux - and our great position in the new world order - makes this a buyer's market for us and anyone else in a top 2 conference. 

So what do we have on the rest of the college football landscape when it comes time to hire? Bones. Auburn is (as usual) a cluster. ASU is a total rebuild. UNC competes with three other P5 jobs JUST IN STATE, and the five GT fans left want them to commit to the triple while their administration wants to commit to academics. 

What do they have on us? Well, they can say that their on-field product isn't an embarassing meme, but more importantly they can recruit well locally (ideally). 

What do we need? We need a developmental coach with experience recruiting nationally, building culture, professionalism, coaching experience, and a reputation for maximizing talent in scheme, particularly OL/DL. 

Who comes to mind? My list is as follows. I'm sure it's not everyone's, but I'm excluding anyone toxic or anyone that would need to move laterally. I'm also excluding Chris Petersen and Dan Mullen since I want to be realistic and I'd personally never give up a broadcasting job for this. I'd take Petersen though.

- Bill O'Brien: Saban academy grad who will be a top option for all the jobs I mentioned and whatever else opens up. He's a stabilizing force who will bring a modern, professional operation. Penn State should NOT have recovered and the job he did there deserves a lifetime achievement award. Say what you will about his Texans tenure and I'd probably agree with you, but he brought a basement dweller to within a few plays of a super bowl berth. I don't see the negative aspects of his tenure there translating.

- Mike Gundy: He would leave based on his recent comments re: T. Boone Pickens. All indications are that he would kill it.

- Mark Stoops: Sounds like he's fighting the administration and something will give eventually. He would be an easy sell to a nostalgic fanbase and his on-field product at Kentucky would translate well here in all phases. Especially significant considering what they were before he arrived. Great recruiter also.

- Matt Campbell: Say what you want about his performance in big moments, but he's got Iowa State at their absolute ceiling right now. I think of him as what HCSF was supposed to be. Some might say he would never come since he's 'reportedly' passed up big opportunities but I think he's gotta move soon since Iowa State's topped out.

- Jeff Monken: I think he's got what it takes to be a great P5 coach that would change his scheme. I don't expect him to run the option wherever he goes next.

- Bret Bielema: I think he's changed since he took the Illini job and he would bring a great staff with him. He seems to have Illinois trending and fundamentally sound.

- Jeff Hafley: He's done a great job considering what BC is capable of. He'll be back in the big ten soon and would do a great job here. Wouldn't be at the top of my list but deserves a call. 

Guys I've excluded as I don't see them leaving: Aranda, Fickell, 

Guys I wouldn't want that many of you do: Urban, Kiffin, Tom Herman

B-Tier Candidates I think would do a good job: Jim Leonhard, Ken Niumatalolo, Sean Lewis, Leipold, Jonathan Smith

Great list. Very realistic. I think you nailed the pool.  People who throw out Wittingham, Aranda, Fickell,  Urban, Kiffin - seem to forget there needs to be mutual interest, and none of those dudes are coming here. I'd take anyone on that list, depending on if Hafley makes a nice jump in year 3. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Great list. Very realistic. I think you nailed the pool.  People who throw out Wittingham, Aranda, Fickell,  Urban, Kiffin - seem to forget there needs to be mutual interest, and none of those dudes are coming here. I'd take anyone on that list, depending on if Hafley makes a nice jump in year 3. 

Thanks for adding Whittingham. He's not coming but if he were ten years younger he would be my first call. If Eichorst had hired him instead of Riley we'd be having a completely different conversation. 

33 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

I've lurked here since at least 2016 and this will be my first comment, so bear with me.

Listened to split zone duo (recommend) this morning and found myself encouraged by what I heard Godfrey mention about the job once it opens up. He's as plugged in as anyone when it comes to coach openings and is as pragmatic and honest as they come in the national media.

This job has bones. Nationally, we have a great administration, good finances, and a great donor base. I'll hearken back to what was drilled into us when Scott was hired.. there is "unity of purpose" across our apparatus. In my opinion, we're also prime for NIL and a national recruiting operation. What will open up this year? Auburn is likely, as is UCLA, Arizona State, North Carolina, and I'll throw in Georgia Tech for the purposes of this argument. Last year, that question was answered with a dozen more prestigious jobs. Most of the coaches at Tier A and B schools are under massive contracts, in year 0/1 or building towards something they can use a springboard, so I don't see this being a crazy year. To make things more interesting, a college football environment in flux - and our great position in the new world order - makes this a buyer's market for us and anyone else in a top 2 conference. 

So what do we have on the rest of the college football landscape when it comes time to hire? Bones. Auburn is (as usual) a cluster. ASU is a total rebuild. UNC competes with three other P5 jobs JUST IN STATE, and the five GT fans left want them to commit to the triple while their administration wants to commit to academics. 

What do they have on us? Well, they can say that their on-field product isn't an embarassing meme, but more importantly they can recruit well locally (ideally). 

What do we need? We need a developmental coach with experience recruiting nationally, building culture, professionalism, coaching experience, and a reputation for maximizing talent in scheme, particularly OL/DL. 

Who comes to mind? My list is as follows. I'm sure it's not everyone's, but I'm excluding anyone toxic or anyone that would need to move laterally. I'm also excluding Chris Petersen and Dan Mullen since I want to be realistic and I'd personally never give up a broadcasting job for this. I'd take Petersen though.

- Bill O'Brien: Saban academy grad who will be a top option for all the jobs I mentioned and whatever else opens up. He's a stabilizing force who will bring a modern, professional operation. Penn State should NOT have recovered and the job he did there deserves a lifetime achievement award. Say what you will about his Texans tenure and I'd probably agree with you, but he brought a basement dweller to within a few plays of a super bowl berth. I don't see the negative aspects of his tenure there translating.

- Mike Gundy: He would leave based on his recent comments re: T. Boone Pickens. All indications are that he would kill it.

- Mark Stoops: Sounds like he's fighting the administration and something will give eventually. He would be an easy sell to a nostalgic fanbase and his on-field product at Kentucky would translate well here in all phases. Especially significant considering what they were before he arrived. Great recruiter also.

- Matt Campbell: Say what you want about his performance in big moments, but he's got Iowa State at their absolute ceiling right now. I think of him as what HCSF was supposed to be. Some might say he would never come since he's 'reportedly' passed up big opportunities but I think he's gotta move soon since Iowa State's topped out.

- Jeff Monken: I think he's got what it takes to be a great P5 coach that would change his scheme. I don't expect him to run the option wherever he goes next.

- Bret Bielema: I think he's changed since he took the Illini job and he would bring a great staff with him. He seems to have Illinois trending and fundamentally sound.

- Jeff Hafley: He's done a great job considering what BC is capable of. He'll be back in the big ten soon and would do a great job here. Wouldn't be at the top of my list but deserves a call. 

Guys I've excluded as I don't see them leaving: Aranda, Fickell, 

Guys I wouldn't want that many of you do: Urban, Kiffin, Tom Herman

B-Tier Candidates I think would do a good job: Jim Leonhard, Ken Niumatalolo, Sean Lewis, Leipold, Jonathan Smith

Haven't said this in quite awhile, at least without sarcasm.....but great first post!

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

People will laugh but I really don't hate it. He looks like a good long-term solution for Illinois and they're playing solid fundamental football. I'd rather let Iowa deal with him after Kirk retires since he can be a wild card but there's a low-likelihood situation where he's our best option. 

I posted up that Nebraska should hire Bert when I first started posting here many moons ago and I definitely caught some flack.  I think some folks would be willing to do some unspeakable things to get him to Lincoln now.  Really solid first post and anyone who rocks to the SZD is a-ok by me.  

Enjoyed your list of coaches, I'm still holding out for Ruhle and hopes he bombs out at Carolina.

The thing that stinks about this whole HCSF debacle is he's 100% going to the Nick Saban car wash and he's going to crush it as an analyst and then OC.  Then he's gonna get a new HC job, probably do well and we're just gonna have to sit there and take it.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Good afternoon fellow huskers

I don't post much so maybe my opinion is irrelevant, But to me at this point IF  we make a coaching change we almost HAVE to bring in a big name coach with a well proven winning track record. We have gambled to many times in the last 20+ years. We can't keep hiring coordinators or candidates with no experience and hope it works out. Just my take

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I just don't see Urban Meyer coming to Nebraska.  Of all the college jobs that I'm sure he's been offered already I don't see Nebraska being the program to get him to finally cave in.

Also the things that have been reported about him the last year or so were definitely unflattering.

I don't see it happening either, but certainly doesn't hurt to try. Quite a few people are mentioning coaches who have zero name value. A guy who isn't widely recognized and highly regarded isn't going to be able to recruit to Lincoln. It is what is is. 

If we stay in the same offense, imo you go with the best Defensive coach money can buy because you got a chance to win with a mediocre offense and great defense and STs. Mediocre offensive coach won’t recruit well enough in Lincoln.  Otherwise, change offenses altogether so we can recruit against teams outside the top twenty.  

U Meyer is the level of national name brand caliber to draw recruits.  A top 5 type HC for offense or a brilliant DC type.  Defense is easier to recruit to Lincoln than offense imo.  

13 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I don't see it happening either, but certainly doesn't hurt to try. Quite a few people are mentioning coaches who have zero name value. A guy who isn't widely recognized and highly regarded isn't going to be able to recruit to Lincoln. It is what is is. 

I disagree completely. Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley are two guys that come to mind that had almost no national notoriety before taking on their first big-time head coaching jobs. Both recruit. 

As for urban, it would probably hurt to try. Guy is completely toxic and he's done coaching anywhere serious after what happened in Jacksonville, where he was sued by players for mistreatment. Sure, people know who he is, but since he left Ohio State it hasn't been for anything good. 

5 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

I disagree completely. Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley are two guys that come to mind that had almost no national notoriety before taking on their first big-time head coaching jobs. Both recruit. 

As for urban, it would probably hurt to try. Guy is completely toxic and he's done coaching anywhere serious after what happened in Jacksonville, where he was sued by players for mistreatment. Sure, people know who he is, but since he left Ohio State it hasn't been for anything good. 

Neither one of those guys are recruiting to Lincoln, though. That's the difference. You put an unknown commodity here and expect him to recruit top talent, and you're setting yourself up for failure.

I wonder why it's agreed that Luke Fickle would not leave Cinc.  I'm saying I wonder because I just want to know, not because I fully disagree.  Couldn't we attract him with all that Nebraska has to offer that Cincinnati does not, such as our amazing fan base, and plenty of monetary incentives?  Etc?