Who should our next HC be?

I hate to break it to you all but today's football landscape is eat or be eaten. This is big $ business and these coaches are all cutthroat and only the strong survive. We've gotta stop worrying about who's the nice guy with the squeaky-clean image. Heck, on a national scale there are plenty who think that Osborne's success was solely based on partial qualifiers and steroids. No matter who we hire, there will be some people who have something negative to say. Just hire the coach who puts us in the best position to be successful. 

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Neither one of those guys are recruiting to Lincoln, though. That's the difference. You put an unknown commodity here and expect him to recruit top talent, and you're setting yourself up for failure.

Who's this unknown commodity? There are plenty of great options this cycle. Feels like a strawman argument to justify bringing in Urban Meyer which is a pipedream anyway. Urban wouldn't be able to bring in a top 10 class consistently even if he were here and could keep it in his pants. It's nebraska and blue chip talent isn't coming. We're a developmental program.

11 minutes ago, Hagg said:

I wonder why it's agreed that Luke Fickle would not leave Cinc.  I'm saying I wonder because I just want to know, not because I fully disagree.  Couldn't we attract him with all that Nebraska has to offer that Cincinnati does not, such as our amazing fan base, and plenty of monetary incentives?  Etc?

I see Fickell leaving but only when Harbaugh or Ryan Day leave. He's done enough to prove himself and his pay is fine. Same goes for Aranda.

Edit to add that I just realized he's never coached outside the state of Ohio which makes me even more sure of this. Lol

2 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Who's this unknown commodity? There are plenty of great options this cycle. Feels like a strawman argument to justify bringing in Urban Meyer which is a pipedream anyway. Urban wouldn't be able to bring in a top 10 class consistently even if he were here and could keep it in his pants. It's nebraska and blue chip talent isn't coming. We're a developmental program.

He would bring in great HS players and own the portal.  He would immediately be the best coach in the conference and argubly would bring in the best staff in the conference. 

There is really no college coaching track record to show that he would do anything other than win.

• Plus1 1
Just now, teachercd said:

He would bring in great HS players and own the portal.  He would immediately be the best coach in the conference and argubly would bring in the best staff in the conference. 

There is really no college coaching track record to show that he would do anything other than win.

Are you forgetting the last two years of the Urban Meyer experience?

I wonder how many "who should our next hc be" threads are going to be coming along in years to come.  Thinking about those possibilities took me back to the logic and speculations of past threads like this;  pretty much identical as I recall.  On some forums around the interwebs we did get past the days of noticing Solich's turn around from the 7 - 7 season to 9 - 3 and then the firing.  And the Calahan nonsense and of course the Pelini mud and ironies.

Then the "great guy" Riley dragging us completely into the muck of more losses than wins per season, etc.  Next, speculation about a local hero who was solid and a champ at the school where he was coaching turned to reality and Moos announced to the world that Buckeye and Wolverine coaches were secretly shaking in their boots.

Now, again, we've got our ship sitting upright as Frost keeps telling us, apparently not noticing that it's sitting upright on the bottom of the ocean. 

And, again like last year, we're speculating as to how long he should be at the helm this season.  I feel that he should have been canned instead of had his contract changed.  But at least we get a smaller bite our of our revenue butts so maybe the best thing happened.  Perhaps Trev could have tendered a warning to him about that first game in O' and Mac Land:  Win this or we're letting you go, my friend. 

I have no idea who to inflict our problems on, but I do like Fickle's age and record.  And I'm still afraid that this losing culture we've developed would overwhelm the best of them.  It'd have to be somebody who sees that and wants to do the myriad things it'd take to go against that, defeat it, and make us what we deserve as Nebraska fans. 

1 hour ago, TonkaSker said:

I disagree completely. Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley are two guys that come to mind that had almost no national notoriety before taking on their first big-time head coaching jobs. Both recruit. 

As for urban, it would probably hurt to try. Guy is completely toxic and he's done coaching anywhere serious after what happened in Jacksonville, where he was sued by players for mistreatment. Sure, people know who he is, but since he left Ohio State it hasn't been for anything good. 

Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley both worked under highly successful coaches, and then took over for them in an already established situation.   That is quite different than someone else coming in from the outside, trying to recruit to a losing program in Lincoln.  That is comparing apples to dump trucks. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley both worked under highly successful coaches, and then took over for them in an already established situation.   That is quite different than someone else coming in from the outside, trying to recruit to a losing program in Lincoln.  That is comparing apples to dump trucks. 

Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley were born on 3rd base.  While they inherited great teams and have done a good job of maintaining that level, I think it's a totally different situation than re-building a program that has struggled for years.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, TonkaSker said:

I was just using Meyer as an example. We need someone with name value who elite kids will want to come to Lincoln to play for. No elite recruit is coming to Lincoln to play for Jeff Hafley or Lance Leipold or Chris Klieman or Matt Entz. 

So you’re telling me that if Nick Saban or Urban Meyer or another top dog came to Lincoln that he wouldn’t be able to regularly land Top 10 classes? That’s bogus. Kids are willing to go wherever they have to to play for a great coach who can put them in the NFL. If that’s Lincoln, so be it. That’s the power of having an established, well-known coach. Meyer, Rhule, Petersen, Gundy, O’Brien, Fickell, Aranda, and Herman would all be high on my list. I’d even be ok w/ Bielema. If not, just bring in Chadwell and make Nebraska a unique brand that option players will flock to. 

43 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Correct, but I was addressing the point that you need to have a top 10 coach in terms of name recognition to recruit competitively. 

If anything, this proves my point that programs recruit moreso than coaches. When people talk about bringing in a recruiter, its less about bringing in a salesman and more about bringing in a sales operation. That's what coaches learn at Alabama, Penn State, Ohio State, etc. 

You don't need urban meyer to recruit for us, we just need to invest correctly and win.

I think the biggest difference in a coaching search this year compared to year's past is conference realignment. Typically, the Arandas, Campbells, Whittinghams, etc. would be a no go. This year might be different, though. ISU is at their ceiling and their conference is dying. Baylor won't have a home outside of whatever 3rd tier the Big XII becomes. Whittingham may be a Utah lifer, though I wish we would have tried to get him instead of Riley. Here you get stability, $$$, and if you succeed your legacy will be celebrated for literally all of time with Nebraska fans. 

Don't discount getting one of these guys as their conferences tank. 

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I was just using Meyer as an example. We need someone with name value who elite kids will want to come to Lincoln to play for. No elite recruit is coming to Lincoln to play for Jeff Hafley or Lance Leipold or Chris Klieman or Matt Entz. 

Yeah I agree with you. I could see a situation where a Hafley or Kleiman can establish the program to the point where a blue-chip thinks this is a good opportunity, but they haven't proven it. It's more a sure bet to hire a coach that can make Nebraska the name brand instead of hiring a coach that is. 

Frankly, our recruiting is the one thing that gives me hope we'll soon be competitive. On paper this should not be a top 25 recruiting program but it is.

• Thanks 1

We can't depend on nabbing the expensive proven HC commodity who probably won't come here. In some cases, like Urban, we may not even want him. That could be a two season dumpster fire of its own. 

Elite recruits might come for an NFL coordinator or position coach, or a highly respected college coordinator or position coach. Mickey Joseph was good enough for some guys. Younger coach with a reputation for innovation and motivation within the coaching community might be the better calculated risk. 

• Fire 1