Who should our next HC be?

Just now, gorp512 said:

When Trev made those comments last week about hearing a lot of names, he already knew he would be meeting with Urban this weekend, didn't he? 

Probably but he also said that if you hear a ton of names that doesn't necessarily mean he offered the job to them. I like Mickey but anybody know who realistically would be his defensive coordinator or what type of defense he likes??? I don't know if Husker Nation dug into details about Frost and those kind of things if or when he was hired.

• Fire 1
9 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

Depending on who Nebraska gets (and assuming it's someone many fans will be happy with) I think it will have to be higher than that.

If it's a current Power Five coach, I'd start at 8 or 9 million. Granted, I'm not rich or any AD, so I could be wrong. 

If we hire a coach and the details are released and it's like $6-mil a year,  I'm gonna just shake my head because it tells me we took the cheap route.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Probably but he also said that if you hear a ton of names that doesn't necessarily mean he offered the job to them. I like Mickey but anybody know who realistically would be his defensive coordinator or what type of defense he likes??? I don't know if Husker Nation dug into details about Frost and those kind of things if or when he was hired.

I'm sure he's not offering the job to anyone just yet. But the fact Trev reached out shows that he's interested. Personally I'm hoping that if Meyer himself doesn't reciprocate the interest, that maybe he'd put a bug in Trev's ear of someone else who might be (Tom Herman).

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm sure he's not offering the job to anyone just yet. But the fact Trev reached out shows that he's interested. Personally I'm hoping that if Meyer himself doesn't reciprocate the interest, that maybe he'd put a bug in Trev's ear of someone else who might be (Tom Herman).

Urban Meyer understands that Nebraska has struggled tremendously bringing kids from all over the country.  I don't understand how Nebraska themselves didn't understand that or haven't understood it with the coaches they bring in.

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

If we hire a coach and the details are released and it's like $6-mil a year,  I'm gonna just shake my head because it tells me we took the cheap route.

If we hire a coach for more than $6 mil, and it’s not Urban, we will be hiring a new one in 3-4 years. People calling for the Matt Campbells of coaching are idiots. Want to be 8-4? Great. If that’s our goal then I’ll find a new hobby & so  will most. If you’re not playing to win titles then you should quit. If we don’t want to hire the best, we should shut it down. We’ll need the best in order to get even slightly above average players. Nebraska isn’t exactly a top destination for talented 18-19 yr olds

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Lol - you want a guy that got booted from TX (a place where recruiting is easy) to come turn this program around? We’re you also hot and bothered when we hired Reilly?

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Urban Meyer understands that Nebraska has struggled tremendously bringing kids from all over the country.  I don't understand how Nebraska themselves didn't understand that or haven't understood it with the coaches they bring in.

Because they still have the "stars don't matter" mentality. They are quick to point out exceptions such as "Ameer was only a 3*" or "Wisconsin doesn't recruit as well as us and they still win"

5 minutes ago, UncleTito said:

Lol - you want a guy that got booted from TX (a place where recruiting is easy) to come turn this program around? We’re you also hot and bothered when we hired Reilly?

Personally, I think he was fired too quickly from Texas. He also worked under Meyer. My #1 dream scenario would be for Meyer to be HC and Herman to be his OC.

And to answer your question regarding Riley, yes. An emphatic yes. Of course when I voiced my disapproval I was told that I was just being a Debbie Downer and that with all of our extended resources he would do great and how all his past players like Keyshawn Johnson loved him :lol:

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The "Riley" mentality: Let's save some $ and hire a middle-of-the-pack coach and hope he does well with our "extra resources"

And that's why I said if you hire any of the border state coaches kiss Nebraska relevance goodbye. You think Nebraska fans want to keep being patient or keep seeing the same s**t different day product from a average coach or his coaching staff? Money produces wins it may not buy you a Championship but it does with wins!!! If they do the riley mentality for the next coach then it goes to show you that Nebraska isn't serious about winning and are ok with losing and settling. When I say settling if you are looking for a great head coach you have to say there is no salary limit.  What ever it takes to bring great coaches in to develop and recruit you do it. Bc coaches won't necessarily just up and leave comfortability you have to make it worth there wild to.