Who should our next HC be?

22 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm sure he's not offering the job to anyone just yet. But the fact Trev reached out shows that he's interested. Personally I'm hoping that if Meyer himself doesn't reciprocate the interest, that maybe he'd put a bug in Trev's ear of someone else who might be (Tom Herman).

He took the meeting. He didn't have to do that. If they offeredb to meet and he didn't accept, we would know that, too. 

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Frost was coming here regardless. It was his dream job. This is a totally different scenario.

If he was coming here regardless why did we have to pay him top dollar? We shelled out the money whether he was coming or not that was a huge contract at the time.

• TBH 1
6 minutes ago, UncleTito said:

Lol - you want a guy that got booted from TX (a place where recruiting is easy) to come turn this program around? We’re you also hot and bothered when we hired Reilly?

First, if you think Nebraska fans had high standards and semi sense of entitlement(which there are plenty of) have you really met said Longhorn fan or been to Austin???  10 wins is an "alright" season in their eyes.  Second, he walked into a s#!tshow on par with what Riley did to the program.  Herman had to flip kids mindsets and did a big roster rework.  Sound familiar, I mean that was a four year excuse for many Frost apologists.  

Herman went 7-6, 10-4, 8-5, and was canned for going 7-3.  Won every bowl game those seasons, and got to the Big 12 title game.  Didn't throw out excuses nonstop his first couple of years, like someone here.  

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We paid top dollar for Frost who was the hottest coaching prospect at the time. It has little to do with going the cheap route if you ask me

He was the hottest coach on the market but we as Husker fans never questioned or cared who he was going to bring along or at least I didn't bc of the results on the field. Once I found out that the coaches were very average coaches and very average recruiters I wanted him to make a change. He made changes to late and was to loyal to the coaches he brought here. You think Nebraska paid top dollar for a 2 year head coach and his coaching staff? It was very average of the pack if I remember correctly.

4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

He was the hottest coach on the market but we as Husker fans never questioned or cared who he was going to bring along or at least I didn't bc of the results on the field. Once I found out that the coaches were very average coaches and very average recruiters I wanted him to make a change. He made changes to late and was to loyal to the coaches he brought here. You think Nebraska paid top dollar for a 2 year head coach and his coaching staff? It was very average of the pack if I remember correctly.

The staff is on Frost. I'm just saying we didn't cheap out last time we went after the top prospect with a large contract. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, UncleTito said:

If we hire a coach for more than $6 mil, and it’s not Urban, we will be hiring a new one in 3-4 years. People calling for the Matt Campbells of coaching are idiots. Want to be 8-4? Great. If that’s our goal then I’ll find a new hobby & so  will most. If you’re not playing to win titles then you should quit. If we don’t want to hire the best, we should shut it down. We’ll need the best in order to get even slightly above average players. Nebraska isn’t exactly a top destination for talented 18-19 yr olds

Couldn’t agree more. Frost brought in kids whom later had sexual assault allegations brought forward. Frost got caught cheating and was handed down a suspension. Frost had to walk out into Memorial Stadium holding his wife’s hand cause of so many distractions to our program. The list goes on. Trev needs to have some tough convos with Urban and ask Urban his plan to prevent his past mistakes from happening again. Trev then needs to recommend some additional solutions and then see to it that Urban has the least amount of negative press during his tenure of getting Nebraska winning football games again. This is about winning and making money and the scandles will come no matter who they are. Urban wasn’t Sandusky. Although some actions have been concerning and questionable, they aren’t unforgivable. This is why B1G media rehired him. If he was a press nightmare, they wouldn’t have hired him back. Urban or Sean Payton are the only two current available coaches I see as splash hires that could immediately turn things around and bring in big name recruits. Throw them enough money they can’t say no. No more market value mediocre boring coaches that don’t stand out from the rest. Our results won’t stand out from the rest and recruits won’t think we stand out from the rest. Our brand won’t stand out from the rest.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
20 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Because they still have the "stars don't matter" mentality. They are quick to point out exceptions such as "Ameer was only a 3*" or "Wisconsin doesn't recruit as well as us and they still win"

Stars matter just as much as great coaches do. They coincide to the success of football university's. Your not going to win very consistently if your team isn't in the top 15 of recruiting and doesn't have great coaches to develop them on a year to year basis.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gorp512 said:

When Trev made those comments last week about hearing a lot of names, he already knew he would be meeting with Urban this weekend, didn't he? 

Yep. He also knew that when the first thing he stated when asked what he was looking for in the new coach was "character". Assistant AD Brendon Stai also knew it when last week he flatly stated it won't be Meyer.

• Fire 1

Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

7 years for 35 million is not alot. 5 million annual for a head coach is not going to get it done here at Nebraska it just isn't. You have to spend more in order to compete. 

At the time it was offered that was alot. These things are relative and in 2017 5 million annual was top dollar

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, gorp512 said:

He took the meeting. He didn't have to do that. If they offeredb to meet and he didn't accept, we would know that, too. 

Exactly. He's willing to listen; Trev just has to tell him what he wants to hear. I agree that the chances of him coming here are unlikely... *BUT* ... if Trev were to make him an offer he couldn't refuse, I think he'd seriously consider it. My guess as to what it would take would be 1) make him the highest-paid college coach; and 2) add incentive-based bonuses based on number of wins, West division champs, conference champs, national champs.

At this point it really depends on what the big-$ boosters want. They are going to push Trev in a certain direction. If they want Meyer, that's the direction he'll take. I just don't think that's what they want.

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Exactly. He's willing to listen; Trev just has to tell him what he wants to hear. I agree that the chances of him coming here are unlikely... *BUT* ... if Trev were to make him an offer he couldn't refuse, I think he'd seriously consider it. My guess as to what it would take would be 1) make him the highest-paid college coach; and 2) add incentive-based bonuses based on number of wins, West division champs, conference champs, national champs.

If Nebraska were to make him the highest paid coach your going to get your money's worth out of him. Not only with the staff he would surround himself with but the buzz around college football and revenue. Man did you hear what Nebraska spent to go get Urban Meyer wow I didn't expect that from them guess they are tired of losing. NEBRASKA SOLD THEIR SOULS TO THE DEVIL TO WIN!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1