Who should our next HC be?

41 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

How about Prime Time? His name has been thrown around a few times 

He's my #2 choice behind Urban. He's exactly what Nebraska needs.

Dude is racking up 3 and 4 star recruits and even got a 5 star #1 cornerback in the country to come play for him. At Jackson effing State. And, although they're largely from around the southeast area, there are a lot of guys on the roster from all over the country. He can definitely recruit nationally.

16 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

He's my #2 choice behind Urban. He's exactly what Nebraska needs.

Dude is racking up 3 and 4 star recruits and even got a 5 star #1 cornerback in the country to come play for him. At Jackson effing State. And, although they're largely from around the southeast area, there are a lot of guys on the roster from all over the country. He can definitely recruit nationally.

I was half joking when I first mentioned him but he will definitely get some recruits.  Knows both sides of the ball and is a winner.  Although I don't know how much he actually wants to coach at a big program.  I think he's at Jackson st for a reason.  

My current thoughts from my post in the What did we learn - Okla Sooner game:

I learned that one of our own did more damage to the Husker program and brand than Bo, Riley, or BC combined.   I learned that this was just a money play for him, he took advantage of us and his undisciplined personal life and coaching was reflected in how the team was developed (wasn't ) and how it played on game day.  

We need to 'write off' the last 5 years as a lesson learned.  Burn it down.  Start completely over.  I don't care if it is a slow moving turtle like Campbell who slowly builds culture and develops players or  a big name like Urb who MIGHT be able to rebuild quickly by drawing in top players.  Either way it is a total rebuild.  It is doubtful that a big name like Urb wants to take on this mess.  

The next coach needs to rebuild culture, teach basic football fundamentals, motivate and develop.  We will need to be patient with whoever it is.  Frost kept saying that the 'rebuild' he inherited was worse than what we all knew.  Wrong, he was given every advantage that one could hope for and he squandered it while raping the program and its fans. The more I hear about his 'junk' and the more I see how the current team plays, I hope he stays far away from Nebraska for some time.   Frankly he reminds me of a certain former president.  An opportunist plain and simple. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 3

Again, I don't have a strong opinion on one or two specific coaches, but I am trying to think about this realistically and pragmatically.  Here would be my thoughts on what the next head coach should bring to the table:

• Experienced head coach with a track record of a winning program (not high on first-time head coaches who would be learning on the job)
  • A head coach who is familiar with the Big Ten -- I know I make fun of the Big Ten teams plenty for their boring games and the lack of success outside of the conference, but the first step for NU to get back to a winning program, starts with having success in the Big Ten.  I know NU fans have grand thoughts of competing nationally, but the first step is within the division and then conference
  • A head coach who can recruit locally/regionally for the guys in the trenches, and then develop them.  This goes in alignment with the previous thought, but there should be plenty of guys available in the 500-mile radius of Lincoln who can fit what needs to be successful offensive and defensive linemen.  I have seen some people saying that NU needs to recruit nationally, and that is true to an extent.  NU needs to build the program with regional talent and then go from there.  We don't need Calibraska, or the Florida pipeline to be the base of the recruiting area, especially with free transfers now.
  • A head coach who will hire a diverse staff with different skills and abilities.  Having a stud recruiter (Mickey Joseph-type) or two who can go grab stud skill players from the South, Texas, or other areas known for speed.  We have also seen head coaches who have brought a lot of their previous staff or friends to fill out the staff.  I would hope that the next head coach would be trying to bring in the best group of assistants that he can find.  I know some of them will probably have worked with the head coach in the past, but it shouldn't have to be a requirement
  • A head coach who is going to own coaching the full team.  I don't care if the guy will have offense or defense experience, but I don't want the coach to be calling the plays for the offense or defense.  I want him to be the over-seer of the entire program, not just one side of the ball.
  • A head coach who doesn't bring extra drama or concerns to the athletic department.  Basically, I just want a guy who is going to be a professional, and not an embarrassment to the University
  • Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

All of the talk about Urban Meyer is giving me a headache.  It's an unrealistic option, that fans want to hang onto and then just b!^@h and moan when it doesn't come true.

What do you mean?  Nebraska fans are more realistic than they were in 2007, when they thought Urban would leave Florida to coach the Huskers. He’s at least out of coaching this time around. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

What do you mean?  Nebraska fans are more realistic than they were in 2007, when they thought Urban would leave Florida to coach the Huskers. He’s at least out of coaching this time around. 

That is just a coincidence.  People would still think he'd leave Ohio State for us if he were still there. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I am getting the feeling that our hire is going to be an underwhelming name hire. Not that that is a bad thing, it may work out for us as we have learned over the years both within our own program and watching others, you just never know who will end up being a good coach. But these big names people keep throwing around out there, I don't think it happens. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I am getting the feeling that our hire is going to be an underwhelming name hire. Not that that is a bad thing, it may work out for us as we have learned over the years both within our own program and watching others, you just never know who will end up being a good coach. But these big names people keep throwing around out there, I don't think it happens. 

It has to happen or Trev loses his job next year. It falls on him so if it’s an underwhelming hire Trev seat gets hotter then the pit of a volcano

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

It has to happen or Trev loses his job next year. It falls on him so if it’s an underwhelming hire Trev seat gets hotter then the pit of a volcano

Trev needs to hire a coach who can turn around the football program.  Just because you may think it's an "underwhelming name" doesn't mean the hire won't end up being a good one.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4
11 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

There is absolutely no way Trev is losing his job next year unless he commits a crime on the job or there's a massive NCAA violation. 

• Plus1 5
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Similar names (including Meyer) being listed by press for ASU.   There is a limited pool of high quality candidates.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/herm-edwards-fired-5-replacements-who-can-win-at-arizona-state/ar-AA11YBsh?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=1ae9f21f8b62423391c4b01ce09253d0

I am sure Urban is already thinking the girls in Phoenix are hotter than the girls in Lincoln.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2