Who should our next HC be?

7 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

It doesn’t mean it’s gonna be a carbon copy of Iowa St. if he came here. That argument is just lame. 

He could be better and could be worse here. Tons of variables go into that, but you can’t just say it’s gonna be a complete copy of what he did at Iowa St.

Les Miles and Nick Saban did just a tad better than they did at Oklahoma St. and Michigan St.

LOL you must be kidding. Les Miles and Nick Saban went to LSU where there is 4 and 5* talent anywhere you look. Trust me, I live and work at a school that breeds some of the top talent. Shazz Preston is currently at Bama. Saivion Jones at LSU. One of our WRs (Khai Prean) is committed to LSU. HUGE difference from Lincoln, Nebraska. If you don't see that idk what to tell ya.

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

LOL you must be kidding. Les Miles and Nick Saban went to LSU where there is 4 and 5* talent anywhere you look. Trust me, I live and work at a school here. Shazz Preston is currently at Bama. Saivion Jones at LSU. One of our WRs (Khai Prean) is committed to LSU. HUGE difference from Lincoln, Nebraska. If you don't see that idk what to tell ya.

Please tell me who is on your realistic list that is gonna be your magic man to get Nebraska back. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
29 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

The coach should be Mickey Joseph. If Alberts was intending to just name an interim he should've named old man Whipple who would've been happy to stock up his retirement with our never-ending supply of money . It doesn't make much sense to sabotage the first black Husker coach with an almost impossible task and then toss him out at the end of the season for some neighbor coach with an okay record. Maybe we should just be looking for a qualified DC. I can see this becoming even more of a disaster.

Mickey was named interim because he was given the associate head coach title to lure him here this offseason.  I dont think trev really had a choice as to who would be interim when you're given that title before frosty was even canned.

That being said, unless we land an urban or a stoops, id rather roll with mickey as HC and build out a staff of excellent recruiters with a long resume of success at P5 schools.  Perhaps Mickey can get his brother to lead the defense and stack the coaching room with asst coaches with actual smarts and credibility.  Above all else, id love to have a staff for a change that all know how to recruit because we f'n need it

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

This.........Im sure hes a great coach but i dont think that is what this team needs.  Hold on, ill rephrase that.  I think that would be good for the team but its not what this university needs.  If urban came in here for 3 years, brought in his guys who he knows can do what needs to be done here then leaves us with someone he knows can keep the ball rolling with.  Then were good.

When has Urban built a Power 5 program from the ground up? What happened the last time that Urban faced a challenging situation where he wasn’t assured of having the best talent on the field? Why does everyone automatically assume Urban will be this quick fix hire at a place like Nebraska where there isn’t a rich talent base to recruit from? Urban is not the sure-thing that many people think he is. A year ago, he was the laughingstock of football, now he’s going to be NU’s savior?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, huskerfan99 said:

Please tell me who is on your realistic list that is gonna be your magic man to get Nebraska back. 

I guess you didn't notice my sig? If you can't get him - and it's highly unlikely - you better at least get someone with a proven track record who can recruit to Lincoln. My other top picks would be Aranda, Stoops, Gundy, DeBoer, Todd Monken, Jeff Lebby...

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

I suspect there's some folks who are slightly out of touch with what Nebraska football is in 2022 if they think we can just open up the checkbook and have top tier coaches fall at our feet.

I also suspect maybe we should be thankful we still have the clout to lure coaches away from the likes of the Kansases or Iowa States, if we do indeed have that much clout.

Finally some sanity.  And it's not just 2022, it goes way back.  When Solich was fired, everyone thought top tier coaches could be lured at will, and people were even talking about Bill Parcells - kinda like they're talking about Meyer today.   But it turned out not even Houston Nutt would take it. 

People need to forget this big name coach business.  Need to get a Power 5 coordinator or the lesser conference school HC.  Find the next Alvarez or Ferentz, who were not 'big name' when hired.  And Fleck, Meyer, and Saban all coached in the MAC at one time.  The next guy like them to become a great Power 5 HC is out there.  Trev just needs to find him.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

When has Urban built a Power 5 program from the ground up? What happened the last time that Urban faced a challenging situation where he wasn’t assured of having the best talent on the field? Why does everyone automatically assume Urban will be this quick fix hire at a place like Nebraska where there isn’t a rich talent base to recruit from? Urban is not the sure-thing that many people think he is. A year ago, he was the laughingstock of football, now he’s going to be NU’s savior?

Since when are Utah and Bowling Green hotbeds of talent? He's a huge name who elite recruits will come to play for. As soon as he's hired kids will be in the portal wanting to play for him, while meanwhile he recruits his own guys. Home run.

• Fire 2
1 minute ago, skeener said:

Finally some sanity.  And it's not just 2022, it goes way back.  When Solich was fired, everyone thought top tier coaches could be lured at will, and people were even talking about Bill Parcells - kinda like they're talking about Meyer today.   But it turned out not even Houston Nutt would take it. 

People need to forget this big name coach business.  Need to get a Power 5 coordinator or the lesser conference school HC.  Find the next Alvarez or Ferentz, who were not 'big name' when hired.  And Fleck, Meyer, and Saban all coached in the MAC at one time.  The next guy like them to become a great Power 5 HC is out there.  Trev just needs to find him.

We can be assured that Trev Alberts is being sufficiently thorough. He's doing his legwork and will do his very best to get us a great coach. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Since when are Utah and Bowling Green hotbeds of talent? He's a huge name who elite recruits will come to play for. Home run.

Yes, Urban built winners at those schools, but that was over 20 years ago, in weaker conferences. So, 58-year old Urban is going to have that exact same drive and enthusiasm about his job as he did back then.  NU fans just sound so desperate to date that girl who looked great in college, but is coming off her 3rd marriage, the last one being a quick annulment.

It’s no use discussing this topic with the Urban Outfitters, because not only is it not likely to happen, but nothing will change your opinion of Urban.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I guess you didn't notice my sig? If you can't get him - and it's highly unlikely - you better at least get someone with a proven track record who can recruit to Lincoln. My other top picks would be Aranda, Stoops, Gundy, DeBoer, Todd Monken, Jeff Lebby...

But Aranda is 16-10 overall and 9-9 in the big 12. Sure that’s good enough? Not much of a sample size. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Never said he couldn't compete. But what makes him any better? 44-34 in the Big 12, one 9-win season, not to mention 1-6 vs. Iowa? No thanks.

Ah ok I misinterpreted what you said. The Iowa losses def are a concern for me but just because Riley was too old to improve with better talent doesn't mean that no one else can. And I don't think it will take a good recruiter to get the best classes in the West every year especially if we are an actual bowl team again. We were in the 20s nationally without going to a bowl 3 years and a coach constantly on every hot seat list. I would def take some coaches over Campbell but I don't think he is as bad as some people are acting. Sometimes you gotta walk before you can run and this team right now can't even crawl. We need good players and better coaching everywhere. 

• Plus1 1

There was a time, 5 years ago maybe, when about any ‘average’ P5 HC would have been able, with maximum effort and a full year of vigorous recruiting, been able to pull in top 4-5 Big Ten classes.   

Imo, the damage done the past 2 seasons especially, to the NU program and image, has destroyed that inherent recruiting status.  Now, at best, NU is bottom tier of Big Ten and lower tier P5 at best.  

This puts NU at a recruiting disadvantage. Only a big time HC / staff hire can restore the recruiting to an above average level in the conference.   It will take some exceptional recruiting and a couple great transfer portal groups to get our raw talent to a level needed to compete for Big Ten West honors.  

Then, combine that with top notch coaching, and the team can get back in the slow climb to conference relevance and top 25 status.  Once there, winning games that matter in the big picture will put NU back in the national discussion.  In turn, the recruiting will tdd as me another jump and then Big Ten and playoff hopes can reasonably return.  

This fall will reflect the internal issues that obviously few outsiders perceived.    Now, the cover has been lifted and realism is setting in across the fan base and major media are being made fully aware of the problems. 

• Fire 1