Who should our next HC be?

34 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s no use discussing this topic with the Urban Outfitters, because not only is it not likely to happen, but nothing will change your opinion of Urban.

Exactly how I feel about the Campbell and Leipold backers. Willing to take any decent-looking girl who looks in their direction.  At least Meyer has a track record of winning and championships and knows what it takes to be successful. In my opinion he'd do everything he can to end his career on an upswing after the disaster in Jacksonville. Resurrecting Nebraska would solidify him as one of the all-time great college coaches. 

But it's ok, we can agree to disagree.

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Exactly how I feel about the Campbell and Leipold backers. Willing to take any decent-looking girl who looks in their direction.  At least Meyer has a track record of winning and championships and knows what it takes to be successful. In my opinion he'd do everything he can to end his career on an upswing after the disaster in Jacksonville. Resurrecting Nebraska would solidify him as one of the all-time great college coaches. 

I have made it known that I don’t have a preferred coach. There are a number of coaches who think would make good candidates. I just don’t go around crapping on so many other candidates like you seem to be doing, and I don’t think Urban would have the automatic success at NU that you think he will. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
36 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, Urban built winners at those schools, but that was over 20 years ago, in weaker conferences. So, 58-year old Urban is going to have that exact same drive and enthusiasm about his job as he did back then.  NU fans just sound so desperate to date that girl who looked great in college, but is coming off her 3rd marriage, the last one being a quick annulment.

It’s no use discussing this topic with the Urban Outfitters, because not only is it not likely to happen, but nothing will change your opinion of Urban.

First off I keep hearing how unrealistic Urban Meyer is. Why? Nobody has any proof that we couldn't at least attempt to get him. Second what makes you think he doesn't have the same drive and enthusiasm to coach and win and third what opinion of Urban Meyer should we have? The Husker Fans that would like him to coach here know he is a Proven Winner. Any where in college that he coached he instantly made them the university better with wins. Im not talking about his personal life bc if your going to go that route he still is a winner. Winning with always trumph anything else bc thats all that has ever mattered. Yes I know your going to bring up Bo Pelini bc he won here but he hit that 9 win ceiling and never could have us compete competitively against great opponents. Yes we were close against Texas but we couldn't sustain the success. So I'd love to hear why and how we should think about Urban Meyer?

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

There was a time, 5 years ago maybe, when about any ‘average’ P5 HC would have been able, with maximum effort and a full year of vigorous recruiting, been able to pull in top 4-5 Big Ten classes.   

Imo, the damage done the past 2 seasons especially, to the NU program and image, has destroyed that inherent recruiting status.  Now, at best, NU is bottom tier of Big Ten and lower tier P5 at best.  

This puts NU at a recruiting disadvantage. Only a big time HC / staff hire can restore the recruiting to an above average level in the conference.   It will take some exceptional recruiting and a couple great transfer portal groups to get our raw talent to a level needed to compete for Big Ten West honors.  

Then, combine that with top notch coaching, and the team can get back in the slow climb to conference relevance and top 25 status.  Once there, winning games that matter in the big picture will put NU back in the national discussion.  In turn, the recruiting will tdd as me another jump and then Big Ten and playoff hopes can reasonably return.  

This fall will reflect the internal issues that obviously few outsiders perceived.    Now, the cover has been lifted and realism is setting in across the fan base and major media are being made fully aware of the problems. 

Are you basing this false statement off any kind of facts or is this inaccurate take just in the heat of the moment of this dumpster fire to start the season?

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Since when are Utah and Bowling Green hotbeds of talent? He's a huge name who elite recruits will come to play for. As soon as he's hired kids will be in the portal wanting to play for him, while meanwhile he recruits his own guys. Home run.

You use Bowling Green and Utah in your arguement for UM but leave out Toledo when it comes to Matt Campbell?   

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I have made it known that I don’t have a preferred coach. There are a number of coaches who think would make good candidates. I just don’t go around crapping on so many other candidates like you seem to be doing, and I don’t think Urban would have the automatic success at NU that you think he will. 

I'm just voicing my opinions just like everyone else in this thread. You're entitled to yours, I'm entitled to mine. In the end we all want to see this program succeed, we just have different ideas as to how to go about it. Doesn't make either one of us right or wrong.

24 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I know you seem to be getting a lot of flack.  I would be one believing that Urban would get us farther in the next 2-3 years, and probably bring us into the next crop of up and comers for him then to hand off the program to the best person.  We wouldn't be "starting over".   I don't think Urban will fumble the ball, nor put us in any scandal.  Maybe something small like what Frost did [our little "golden boy" who can'tdo anything wrong"].  Yes, I will pinch my nose for 2-3 years.  At this point I would do that because of the state of Knebraska football.  

We have lost are way and I actually think Urban would want to restore :bigredn: ... and it would most definitely be a good ego boost.

I'm reminded of that thought, God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.  It is my view that :bigredn: is perhaps still not at our bottom and needs to receive more humility.

Until then, I'll try to enjoy our self-made soap opera as we drown in our own pettiness and self-centeredness.  It's at least a show exposes the pride of Husker Nation.  A few will learn from this.  I am one.

2 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I know you seem to be getting a lot of flack

Nothing new. I said the same thing back when Riley was hired and people laughed and told me what a great hire he was and how I was in denial and how his past players all loved him and how he'd excel with all of our extra resources.

Said I still wasn't sold on Chinander last year and again I was laughed at and told I was in denial and there was no questioning the fact that he was one of the top DCs in the game.

Doesn't faze me one bit. I have high standards and I refuse to lower them for anyone.

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The difference is that Campbell hasn't had the level of success at ISU that he had at Toledo, whereas Meyer had great success at every one of his stops.

Thing that people need to remember is Urban was at 2 spots that recruit for themselves in Florida and Ohio St. Quite a bit different here.

If you’re gonna make the argument for Les Miles and Nick Saban at LSU same goes for Urban.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Nothing new. I said the same thing back when Riley was hired and people laughed and told me what a great hire he was and how I was in denial and how his past players all loved him and how he'd excel with all of our extra resources.

Said I still wasn't sold on Chinander last year and again I was laughed at and told I was in denial and there was no questioning the fact that he was one of the top DCs in the game.

Doesn't faze me one bit. I have high standards and I refuse to lower them for anyone.

Yes, I get you.  Two fellas in the same ship here.

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The difference is that Campbell hasn't had the level of success at ISU that he had at Toledo, whereas Meyer had great success at every one of his stops.

Meyer went into Florida with really good talent under Zook, including a national title QB in Chris Leak. Yeah, Meyer built on that talent, but with very undersirable characters.  At Ohio State, Urban inherited a National Championship caliber roster, and then he decided to stick up for an wife-abusing assistant coach. Finally, Meyer had no success in his most recent stop. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

Thing that people need to remember is Urban was at 2 spots that recruit for themselves in Florida and Ohio St. Quite a bit different here.

If you’re gonna make the argument for Les Miles and Nick Saban at LSU same goes for Urban.

You conveniently left out Utah & Bowling Green.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Meyer went into Florida with really good talent under Zook, including a national title QB in Chris Leak. Yeah, Meyer built on that talent, but with very undersirable characters.  At Ohio State, Urban inherited a National Championship caliber roster, and then he decided to stick up for an wife-abusing assistant coach. Finally, Meyer had no success in his most recent stop. 

Please don't even bother mentioning the NFL in these coaching debates. Totally different ballgame, just ask Saban.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Osborne won multiple NCs with "very undesirable characters." Funny how that stuff is overlooked as long as you're winning.