Who should our next HC be?

2 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Wow. 136 pages so far in just over 3 weeks.

Great job!

With probably 10 weeks left until we find out who our next HC will be this thread is on pace to easily eclipse the Scott Frost mega-thread from 2017 and go far beyond it. And the real and/or fabricated leaks haven't even started up in earnest yet!

I've heard that Alberts has had several meetings with a certain coach who may be considered a top candidate. I don't want to cause a lot of speculation or upset his school so to preserve his anonymity I'll just call him Mickey J.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If you aren’t going to give Mickey the requisite 4-5 year base contract for the head coaching job, then he doesn’t deserve the job. It doesn’t work like that. Trev can’t half-a$$ this decision, and that’s exactly what you are proposing. 

Nope, you are wrong with that thinking.  That is why we pay big buyouts since Coach Callahan,  buddy.

So, if USC and UCLA can join the Big Ten Conference (unimaginable!!)  and OU and Texas can join the SEC  (unimaginable!!)   ...and college football players can get paid quite handsomely (unimaginable!!)....  then you can most certainly do w h a t e v e r  you want to do as a University AD, including a one year deal.  If they say no thank you, then buh-bye and best of luck finding a WR job.  

I am being honest, 4-5 wins the rest of the year could be a handshake for a one year deal between both parties (UNL/AD and HC).  

1 minute ago, admo said:

Nope, you are wrong with that thinking.  That is why we pay big buyouts since Coach Callahan,  buddy.

So, if USC and UCLA can join the Big Ten Conference (unimaginable!!)  and OU and Texas can join the SEC  (unimaginable!!)   ...and college football players can get paid quite handsomely (unimaginable!!)....  then you can most certainly do w h a t e v e r  you want to do as a University AD, including a one year deal.  If they say no thank you, then buh-bye and best of luck finding a WR job.  

I am being honest, 4-5 wins the rest of the year could be a handshake for a one year deal between both parties (UNL/AD and HC).  

You would be the worst AD imaginable. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, admo said:

no.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I keep seeing things about needing to recruit nationally, and I agree to a point. But, the first step with this program is to start winning in the Big Ten. That is done with recruiting and developing within the 500 mile radius of Lincoln. Plus, if Mickey is retained, he can specialize in recruiting Louisiana and the South, and another assistant can specialize in Texas. 

A big time coach gets you the 500 mile radius plus national presence. You automatically become top dog and a beacon to all bordering states to draw those players in plus more. Right now we are fighting wars in neighboring states and certainly don’t have the record to win those fights. So Nebraska brings in ho-hum coach and those kids are staying local to go to K-State, Wisconsin, Minny, Iowa, Colorado. How are we going to win like that with USC joining with all their 5 star guys?  I like retaining MJ as a recruiter but we need a national winning name.

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry, but Bill o'brien sucks as head coach running a program and has not shown any loyalty.  Why would you have faith in him and give him the keys, especially to Nebraska?

Don't be dumb or fooled.

BOB coaching history :hmmph  (Maybe we do need to get burned again)

1993    Brown (TE)
1994    Brown (ILB)
1995–1997    Georgia Tech (GA)
1998–2000    Georgia Tech (RB)
2001–2002    Georgia Tech (OC/QB)
2003–2004    Maryland (RB)
2005–2006    Duke (OC/QB)
2007    New England Patriots (OA)
2008    New England Patriots (WR)
2009–2010    New England Patriots (QB)
2011    New England Patriots (OC/QB)
2012–2013    Penn State (HC)
2014–2020    Houston Texans (HC)
2021–present    Alabama (OC/QB)

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
32 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

Go to the one hour and 13 minute mark and I am 100% with this guy!! So damn knowledgeable. 

This guy is singing my tune!  The part about having to buy out Campbell or Stoops and no buyout to get Urb is a strong point. Urb will kill it in recruiting  and the portal.  Urb is falling in our lap but we may bungle this!  If Notre Dame comes in and swoops him I will be so pissed. I could see Notre Dame hiring Urb and keeping their current young coach around and selling it as a feel good story. Trev, Git R Done before it’s too late!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GlobalHusker said:

So, is Trev excluding Urbs?

i believe so, and i don't think urban has any real interest. 

our roster is a dumpster fire, and even urban isn't turning us into a top 25 team for 2-3 years

it'll be someone like campbell who will build things from the ground up and has the youth and energy to do so.

36 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

our roster is a dumpster fire, and even urban isn't turning us into a top 25 team for 2-3 years

it'll be someone like campbell who will build things from the ground up and has the youth and energy to do so.

All pure speculation nobody knows. YOU my friend didn't listen to the podcast. Go listen to the one hour thirteen minute mark.

41 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

it'll be someone like campbell who will build things from the ground up and has the youth and energy to do so

Urban instantly would make this team better. You don't think that Urban could make this team a top 25 team by year 3? :eek: