Who should our next HC be?

The more I think about it, I think if Matt Rhule's available and interested, you gotta go with him. Won a conference title at Temple, first time Temple did that in 50 years. Came into a Baylor program in shambles from the awfulness under Art Briles. In three years took them from 1-11 to 11-3 and a Sugar Bowl spot and top 15 ranking. To distinguish from BoB, while again yes his ability to keep Penn State together was impressive, I just don't see a season that wows me.

23 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Will Muschamp

Then I'd say Les Miles or Mark Richt or Dan Mullen. We can go back and forth on this all day and in the end just find out that its a crap shoot and there is no single thing that points to a good coach. It makes it easier to eliminate coaches because X type of coach never works, but there is always examples of where it did and didnt work. Id be perfectly happy with Meyer but there is a small chance that he flops because what happened in Jacksonville is really not comparable to what happened with Saban. Meyer is an a$$h@!e, fine who cares, but that works when he has next man up at every position. That didnt work in the NFL and its not a guarantee it works here. 

Look through the top 25 and its just a mix of proven coaches, g5 coaches, position coaches, and the ones no one wants to talk about, the super long play coaches like Mark Stoops or Mike Gundy. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Then I'd say Les Miles or Mark Richt or Dan Mullen. We can go back and forth on this all day and in the end just find out that its a crap shoot and there is no single thing that points to a good coach. It makes it easier to eliminate coaches because X type of coach never works, but there is always examples of where it did and didnt work. Id be perfectly happy with Meyer but there is a small chance that he flops because what happened in Jacksonville is really not comparable to what happened with Saban. Meyer is an a$$h@!e, fine who cares, but that works when he has next man up at every position. That didnt work in the NFL and its not a guarantee it works here. 

Look through the top 25 and its just a mix of proven coaches, g5 coaches, position coaches, and the ones no one wants to talk about, the super long play coaches like Mark Stoops or Mike Gundy. 

I get where you are coming from but Nebraska has to hit it right on the hire. Right now the fan base is torn between trying to go get a proven winner or giving a head coach around these parts a chance with better resources or a coordinator with no head coaching experience. If its such a struggle now with the fans you can only imagine how it's going to be when the name is announced. This decision either makes or breaks Nebraska. 

29 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I agreed with that for sure just the whole 40 guys part. While I feel he would have no problem bringing in absolute talent 40 guys would definitely say alot of you guys suck get off the team im running the show now.

It might be a slight stretch, but I have to imagine he would tell 15-20 guys to leave the program. It's a lot of open schollies. 

40 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Not sure I agree with you. Chadwell is the only person I've even seen mentioned that runs a unique scheme and I don't think he's going to be coaching at Nebraska.

There was a small run on hiring out of the Briles tree (Dino Babers, Sean Lewis, Montgomery at Tulsa) and Briles was part of a run out of the Leach tree but Nebraska's never really gone after scheme in hiring. You can make the argument that Riley was a scheme hire but I don't think that's a very strong argument given the conflicts with Bo weren't based on offensive scheme. Not like the perimeter west coast was novel.

I do agree with your point about Nebraska being design-build, so let's take a look at the design-builders on the market. These are guys who've elevated poor programs steadily and consistently. Most have done it more than once. A lot of these guys have had their names tossed out there:

- Matt Rhule (Temple, Baylor)

- Bill O'Brien (Penn State)

- Matt Campbell (Toledo, ISU)

- Lance Leipold (Buffalo, KU(?))

- PJ Fleck (WMU, Minnesota)

- Chris Petersen (Boise, UW)

- Chip Kelly (Oregon - with $ome help)

- Dan Mullen (Miss State)

- Lane Kiffin (FAU, Miss)

- Mark Stoops (UK)

- Bob Stoops (OU)

- Mike Leach (TT, Wazzu)

- Bill Snyder (KSU)

- Mike Gundy (OSU)

- Pat Narduzzi (Pitt)

Most of these guys are great teachers and good schemers who steadily improved the quality of the product. A few of these guys are promoters who brought in fans and improved the brand (Fleck and Kiffin, Gundy to some extent). Nebraska needs the former, obviously the brand is all that's left. Outside of these names, most of them worked under a great coach themselves as a younger coordinator. Very few, if any were established P5 coaches when they arrived at their last stops. Leach and Petersen being the two best examples.

A lot of people are overlooking Jim Leonhard here but I see a ton of Bob Stoops in him and I think he's got the elite teaching skills which show up in his development and on the field every week. Probably the best DC in the country and possibly one of the best true coordinators. Look at Aranda, not only are there real ties between the two but watch an Aranda coaching clinic, the guy is a college professor. Same goes for Pete Golding but I don't see him getting a real look. Fantastic teacher. Muschamp has that same teaching ability but wasn't a great CEO. 

Our goal is not the same as most of those programs.   Give me examples of champions.   TT?  Not.  UK?   Not.   Miss?  Not.  Temple?  Baylor?  Maybe sort of.  ISU?   Not.  Buff?   No way.   KSU ?   Not.   WMU, MN?   Not.  Just examples.  

Seriously, which of those can you confidently say will win a natty in the next 10 years there?
NONE.   

If you’re goal is rebuild a program like MN, Okie State, Miss State, Temple, KU, ISU, etc etc, then maybe.  You hire them to replicate their current ‘success’ in Lincoln?   That’s what you will get, MAYBE.  

Nebraska is not like the others.  It just isn’t.   If you hire a great Defensive HC and then build a new offense unlike the rest, you have something that MIGHT work.   No other place in the entire country is similar to Nebraska.  Nebraska abandoned its identity in 2003 after Solich simply failed to recruit.   Solich could run the offense sufficiently but he had no gravitas and was NOT a closer and he couldn’t recognize talent when it knocked on his office door.  

Ever since, we’ve tried to be like everybody else, with less talent.  It will never work without a LEGENDARY HC to recruit.  Imo.  A good coach will fail in Lincoln, unless your goal is to build Iowa State west.   

Frost failed to build a team as it is so abundantly obvious - he only cared about his passing offense.  He could have been a fairly successful OC, even in Lincoln, with a great HC and defense and STs.  Not sure his offense would be consistently good.  

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Nebraska is not like the others.  It just isn’t.   If you hire a great Defensive HC and then build a new offense unlike the rest, you have something that MIGHT work.   No other place in the entire country is similar to Nebraska.  

Aside from your fuzzy feelings about the program I don’t really know how that’s true. Would love to hear a case that Nebraska is this unique program that has to win and lose differently than the other 130 FBS programs 

• Thanks 3
5 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Aside from your fuzzy feelings about the program I don’t really know how that’s true. Would love to hear a case that Nebraska is this unique program that has to win and lose differently than the other 130 FBS programs 

1. Get good recruits

2. Develop Players

3. ???

4. Profit

:wasted