Jump to content

Who should our next HC be?


Recommended Posts

I have my top 3 finally figured out- Dave Clawson, Luke Fickell, and Matt Rhule.  All a proven winners who have rebuilt programs.  All have extensive head coaching experience and all 3 coach great fundamental football.  Listed below in random order.  I would be happy with any of them.    

 

Matt Rhule - 47 years old

Temple

2013  -  2-10

2014  -  6-6

2015  -  10-4

2016  -  10-3

Baylor

2017  -  1-11

2018  -  7-6

2019  -  11-3

Left for the NFL

 

Dave Clawson- 55 years old

Fordham 1999-2003 - Winless in 99 to 10-3 and 9-3 in 2002 and 2003

Richmond 2004-2007 - 3-8 in 2004 to 11-3 in 2007

Bowling Green 2009-2013 - 6-6 in 2008 to 10-3 in 2013

Wake Forest 2014-current - 3-9 in 2014 to 11-3 in 2021 and is currently undefeated in 2022

 

Luke Fickell - 49 years old

One year at Ohio State under weird circumstances - 6-7

Cincinnati 2017 - current  

2017  -  4-8

2018  -  11-2

2019  -  11-3

2020  -  9-1

2021  -  13-1

 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • TBH 1
Link to comment


21 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't see how Fickell isn't towards the top of everybody's list.

 

Landing Aranda probably isn't realistic but I'd want him over Fickell.

 

 

Why would you take Arranda over any of the three I listed?  I just don't get it.  The guy took Baylor over after Matt Rhule just went 11-3 in 2019 and went 2-7 in 2020.  Then with Matt's recruits, he went 12-2 last year and is 2-1 this year with a loss to BYU.  26 total games... That is the extent of his head coaching experience.  As a defensive coordinator he had some great results from 2012 - 2016 but he fell off in 2018 and 2019 to pretty average numbers at LSU.

 

Maybe he would do good here but, to me, there just isn't enough resume there to justify the salary it would take to pull him.       

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I have my top 3 finally figured out- Dave Clawson, Luke Fickell, and Matt Rhule.  All a proven winners who have rebuilt programs.  All have extensive head coaching experience and all 3 coach great fundamental football.  Listed below in random order.  I would be happy with any of them.    

 

Matt Rhule - 47 years old

Temple

2013  -  2-10

2014  -  6-6

2015  -  10-4

2016  -  10-3

Baylor

2017  -  1-11

2018  -  7-6

2019  -  11-3

Left for the NFL

 

Dave Clawson- 55 years old

Fordham 1999-2003 - Winless in 99 to 10-3 and 9-3 in 2002 and 2003

Richmond 2004-2007 - 3-8 in 2004 to 11-3 in 2007

Bowling Green 2009-2013 - 6-6 in 2008 to 10-3 in 2013

Wake Forest 2014-current - 3-9 in 2014 to 11-3 in 2021 and is currently undefeated in 2022

 

Luke Fickell - 49 years old

One year at Ohio State under weird circumstances - 6-7

Cincinnati 2017 - current  

2017  -  4-8

2018  -  11-2

2019  -  11-3

2020  -  9-1

2021  -  13-1

 

 


Rhule will be a top target, no doubt. Pretty sure Trev is just waiting to see how his NFL season plays out. A couple more Panther losses and his seat will warm up as fast as Frost’s did and he’ll quickly rise up our leaderboard.

 

Would Clawson leave WF? his salary is relatively low, so if we offered to double it, he might be enticed… likely would just use it to leverage a pay raise there as opposed to starting all over.

 

it’s pretty much known that Fickell is holding out for the Ohio State job. Maybe an elite-level salary would convince him otherwise, but you’re still risking him jumping ship to the Buckeyes if the job opens up. 
 

I still think it’s highly unlikely that we lure a guy who’s currently doing well where he is. Best bets are: A) failing NFL coach (Rhule); B) current coordinator looking to take the next step (O’Brien, etc) or C) someone currently not coaching (Meyer, Petersen, etc.).

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:


Rhule will be a top target, no doubt. Pretty sure Trev is just waiting to see how his NFL season plays out. A couple more Panther losses and his seat will warm up as fast as Frost’s did and he’ll quickly rise up our leaderboard.

 

Would Clawson leave WF? his salary is relatively low, so if we offered to double it, he might be enticed… likely would just use it to leverage a pay raise there as opposed to starting all over.

 

it’s pretty much known that Fickell is holding out for the Ohio State job. Maybe an elite-level salary would convince him otherwise, but you’re still risking him jumping ship to the Buckeyes if the job opens up. 
 

I still think it’s highly unlikely that we lure a guy who’s currently doing well where he is. Best bets are: A) failing NFL coach (Rhule); B) current coordinator looking to take the next step (O’Brien, etc) or C) someone currently not coaching (Meyer, Petersen, etc.).

Makes sense with Rhule.  He is the most probable for the job due to his situation. 

 

I think Clawson has one more stop in his future and I doubt Wake can offer him what he can financially.  They just extended him a few months ago and only paid him 3.6.  My guess is that is towards the top end of their budget so maybe we can get him here for 5ish. 

 

You may be right about Fickell but Ohio State appears to have their long term guy in place so maybe he would entertain coming here?  I think it takes 8 Million to get him though.    

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

People keep saying on here that Fickell is holding out for OSU but i haven’t heard anything that would indicate that is actually true. They didn’t even look at him the last time the job was open. Maybe he would like the job but there isn’t indication that he would automatically get the job when it opens up. 

Link to comment

4 minutes ago, jaws said:

People keep saying on here that Fickell is holding out for OSU but i haven’t heard anything that would indicate that is actually true. They didn’t even look at him the last time the job was open. Maybe he would like the job but there isn’t indication that he would automatically get the job when it opens up. 

Ryan Day is 5-6 years younger than Fickell.  A don't think Day is going anywhere soon,  at least not in the next several years.

 

If Fickell is looking to move "up", but only to OSU; he probably isn't going to go anywhere.  I don't really buy that either.

Link to comment
20 minutes ago, jaws said:

People keep saying on here that Fickell is holding out for OSU but i haven’t heard anything that would indicate that is actually true. They didn’t even look at him the last time the job was open. Maybe he would like the job but there isn’t indication that he would automatically get the job when it opens up. 

 

11 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Ryan Day is 5-6 years younger than Fickell.  A don't think Day is going anywhere soon,  at least not in the next several years.

 

If Fickell is looking to move "up", but only to OSU; he probably isn't going to go anywhere.  I don't really buy that either.

I took it as more that Fickell is happy at Cinci and would only leave if for the OSU job, not that he's necessarily waiting for it.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...