Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There's a really strong chance Nebraska can neither afford nor attract the splash hire.

I don't know what we all consider a "splash hire salary" but NU just gave a guy a massive buyout to peace the hell out of Nebraska A$AP. I don't think they're overly concerned about dishing out big bucks for a good coach.

And if we're talking about Deion as one of those splash hires, he is a splash in name and name alone. No way would he be worth the kind of annual salary figures that make people around here squeamish.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't know what we all consider a "splash hire salary" but NU just gave a guy a massive buyout to peace the hell out of Nebraska A$AP. I don't think they're overly concerned about dishing out big bucks for a good coach.

And if we're talking about Deion as one of those splash hires, he is a splash in name and name alone. No way would he be worth the kind of annual salary figures that make people around here squeamish.

Yeah, I don’t think money will be any sort of limiting factor. We can afford anybody that would seriously consider this job. However I do believe we may have some issues attracting some of the top names. Resources and money aside, I don’t believe it will be an attractive prospect for all coaches. 

And “splash” hires are very subjective. Somebody like Deion may be called a splash but, like you said, that is in name only. IMO a splash hire would be the best available proven and legitimate hire. Sanders is nowhere to be found on that list.

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I see where you’re coming from regarding why a coach wouldn’t want to leave something they’ve built just to restart at NU.

Losing OU and UT will be detrimental to the B12, at least to start. B12 is going to be .5-1 game behind SEC and B1G schools in terms of SOS conversation. USC to the B1G will strengthen the conference too. 

A guy like Campbell, who has a nice 4mil base with 250k bonus per win for winning more than 7 games would have to be paid what…$6-7mil to think about coming to NU? That’s a lot of money for a coach without a conference title who hasn’t quite parlayed success into greater results. It actually makes me worried if he comes to NU, based on his own words and what you’ve expressed. 

Breaking bank on  guys like Urban have no guarantees and larger buyouts. Going next tier below will cost more to lure someone away, like you’re saying, and large buyout. And a lesser coach would not move the needle.

The more I think about it, this is a really tricky coaching search. If I were Trev, I would weed out anyone who isn’t a football junkie for life who insists on self and team discipline. At this moment, Lincoln isn’t any better than Ames, but when momentum swings our way and all the resources built, then I believe it should turn into an unstoppable force. 

I totally agree with you on this

17 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I mean yeah we already had tons of money and now just happened to sign a deal to get 15 mil a year for a long time. Football is the money making sport and we have the money.  I guess it depends how important you think winning is to Trev and my bet is quite a lot. 

Yeah but, eh.... Winning is very important to Trev as the AD of Nebraska (awesome!), but more importantly are his own personal values and likeness for picking out a new head coach.  Winning would be icing on the cake if it works out.  If it doesn't, there will be another payout.  :hmmph

7 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I would definitely take that offense here. 

I didn't catch all of the KU game but I was impressed with it too. They handled business and beat a team they were supposed to beat.

Said elsewhere it reminded me of the old Watson offenses under Bo. I'd take that back in a heartbeat. Consistently top ~20 in rushing offense, beget stronger OL play than we've had a some time and can be extremely dangerous with the right QB.

Plus putting lots of RBs in the NFL helped attract more talent there.

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Deion even being seriously discussed is frankly comical, particularly in comparison to someone like Dave Aranda, whose laundry list of accomplishments as a defense coordinator and head coach at the FBS level dwarfs anything Deion has done as a college coach.

If you want to be an off season punch line and make a splash hire, yeah... Deion will do that for ya.

That's the difference,....Aranda has the record to back him up. He also has the temperament to coach college students that we're looking for. I don't know anything about Deion, but it seems like it would be another Frost type hire.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, Enhance said:

Most college coaches are acutely aware of how their industry works. I read a stat a couple of years ago that about one-third of all current head football coaches will be fired within the next four years. This isn't an industry to work in if you value job security. They get that. They also get that going 16-31 over 4+ years at Nebraska and losing to Georgia Southern is going to get you fired.

And, money talks.

I get where you're coming from but this is still a pretty damn good college football job, certainly above average. And they'll probably pay someone 5-6+ million/year to come do it.

Damn good college football job?  Eh, in our Husker minds it is, as fans.  

Winning coaches look at the Nebraska job as quicksand.  You do get pulled out with the buyout, but still.... 

2 minutes ago, admo said:

Damn good college football job?  Eh, in our Husker minds it is, as fans.  

Winning coaches look at the Nebraska job as quicksand.  You do get pulled out with the buyout, but still.... 

You can call it whatever superlative you want but there are 131 D1 college football jobs and Nebraska is still easily in the top quarter or top third of those. That's pretty damn good by my standards.

No offense, but I think you're viewing Nebraska through rose colored lenses that have been smudged and shattered. I get why you feel that way but I haven't seen much evidence to back up any of the anecdotal feelings you have outside of pure disenfranchisement. Facilities, the fan base, above average recruiting capabilities, national audience interest... and money. LOTS of money. You give a guy $5-6 million dollars/year or more and there's a good chance he'll dive into that quick sand without a rope. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1