Who should our next HC be?

17 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Because he hasn't coached at a major program.   So many people jump on a hype train but don't know really what they are hoping for.   He is a great guy.   Amazing character.   Capable of selling ice to an Eskimo.   But he hasn't coached at even a middling program.   He isn't even as qualified as MJ who is horribly unqualified to coach at nebraska.

He MIGHT be great but he is a massive risk.   Worth taking???  Idk

You’re joking on the bold part right? Sorry, I love me some MJ, but he can’t hold Deions jockstrap when it comes to being qualified to be the next head coach at NU.

• Haha 1

So you admit,  he is a risk.  A gamble...

No reason to pay what it would take for that risk imo.  

He seems like a great guy and might be great as a coach but that isn't what we should be pursuing imo

Was supposed to be quoted... cell is struggling

3 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

You’re joking on the bold part right? Sorry, I love me some MJ, but he can’t hold Deions jockstrap when it comes to being qualified to be the next head coach at NU.

So what has he done to be more qualified.   I'm all ears

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
57 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Deion may be the second coming of Vince Lombardi; he may have the strongest moral character of any coach in the country. It doesn’t matter. He’s still viewed as “Neon Deion” and “Prime Time” by the average fan and that totally clashes with the Plain Jane white bread Nebraska culture. 

I call bs on the "plain Jane white bread" bs.  Your sideways attempt at bringing race into this is crap. 

The guy isn't qualified,  period. 

This is coming from a mixed family that had had been associated with the program for 20 years if that matters.

He seems like a great guy but he should have to prove it like anyone else in the profession.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

11 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I think part of the process with Sanders (if we are even trying to vet him) is to see what staff he’d put together.  I think he’d keep MJ.  He will be a big program coach in the future.  The extra publicity and all the coverage we’d gain would be like no other candidate could offer. We know he’d boost recruiting and the portal. If he had a legitimate staff would you be for him? He is the most unique candidate and he could potentially pull some good coaches that either he views as excellent but I could also see some guys who don’t want to keep climbing the coaching ladder but would find it a good last opportunity to work in a unique situation. If he impressed me with staff considerations that would be interesting vs I am bringing all my Jackson State buddies which we know would not work out most likely.  

But the fact that Sanders could put together a class that would likely finish 10 spots higher than a lot of other candidates has to be worth a lot. Are those other mid tier coaches really better with a lesser class than Sanders would deliver with his class?  I don’t think so.

Admittedly, I don’t know much about most of his staff. But I have read that he has assembled an amazing staff at JSU considering the school. Quick glance through the staff directory and it does not appear to be JSU/HBCU buddies at all.

Anyhoo…there’s not an assistant coach in the country who doesn’t answer the phone when Deion Sanders calls.

• Haha 3

i would rather have deon than the 4 big 12 coaches, but that's just my opinion. the program is in such a horrible place that hiring someone like deon sanders isn't going to make it any worse. it can really only have a positive effect IMO.

i don't think there's any way trev would actually hire him though.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

I read Deion's autobiography years ago.  Very eye opening.  Dude went through a lot with the fame and fortune.  Tried to commit suicide and survived.  He's got his head on straight.  He invited women to speak to his team about trying to trap them into relationships for their potential earnings.  I'm not saying he would make a great coach, but he can certainly develop character in young men.  No doubt about that.  The Deion we all group up with (some of us lol) from FSU to multiple NFL teams is most definitely not the same guy that is coaching now.

You said he tried to commit suicide in the past and then you follow that concerning comment up with saying he has his head on straight. You then tell us he invited women to speak to his college football team about being weary of women trying to steal their fortunes? Not sure why you tried to use that info to back up your belief that he can develop character in young men. Most of them aren’t going to the league and won’t be making the big bucks. How about having a woman come and talk to young men in his team about respecting women and their bodies or talk to them about domestic violence or something that is an actual problem amongst college men in college campuses. I want to be clear in saying I am not denying Deion does have the ability to develop some character in young men and I don’t doubt he probably has his head on straight now. But I must say you pretty much contradicted yourself in every point you tried to make. That was rough to read. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

i would rather have deon than the 4 big 12 coaches, but that's just my opinion. the program is in such a horrible place that hiring someone like deon sanders isn't going to make it any worse. it can really only have a positive effect IMO.

i don't think there's any way trev would actually hire him though.

Well Trev better get it together. Late November how are these headlines going to look:

“Nebraska hires Iowa State’s Matt Campbell”

Next day…”Auburn/GA Tech/enter another team hires Primetime Deon Sanders; 3 of ESPNs top 100 commit to join Sanders”

And poof our 12 hours of mojo is lost and we sign a class ranked 28th while Sanders class is Top 10.

You know I am right. We can’t f this up. 

• Fire 2

6 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Well Trev better get it together. Late November how are these headlines going to look:

“Nebraska hires Iowa State’s Matt Campbell”

Next day…”Auburn/GA Tech/enter another team hires Primetime Deon Sanders; 3 of ESPNs top 100 commit to join Sanders”

And poof our 12 hours of mojo is lost and we sign a class ranked 28th while Sanders class is Top 10.

You know I am right. We can’t f this up. 

/end thread

• TBH 1
23 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I call bs on the "plain Jane white bread" bs.  Your sideways attempt at bringing race into this is crap. 

This is coming from a mixed family that had had been associated with the program for 20 years if that matters.

He seems like a great guy but he should have to prove it like anyone else in the profession.  

Well who is then under your terms bc if you wouldn't accept Deion please don't mention Matt Campbell or Lance Leipold. Those guys don't qualify bc they don't compare to great winners like Urban but they are solid program builders.

14 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

You said he tried to commit suicide in the past and then you follow that concerning comment up with saying he has his head on straight. You then tell us he invited women to speak to his college football team about being weary of women trying to steal their fortunes? Not sure why you tried to use that info to back up your belief that he can develop character in young men. Most of them aren’t going to the league and won’t be making the big bucks. How about having a woman come and talk to young men in his team about respecting women and their bodies or talk to them about domestic violence or something that is an actual problem amongst college men in college campuses. I want to be clear in saying I am not denying Deion does have the ability to develop some character in young men and I don’t doubt he probably has his head on straight now. But I must say you pretty much contradicted yourself in every point you tried to make. That was rough to read. 

How do you know that isn't or hasn't been done with bringing the women on campus? How do you know that's not part of it? I haven't heard of one coach never that brings women into meetings to talk about respecting women. Even if those kids don't make it to the league nil has nothing to do with the nfl its all about ones self branding. So he is saying their is alot of temptation in this generation don't let it ruin you bc it almost ruined him. Great example of a head coach doing the right things can't say he isn't.

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

How do you know that isn't or hasn't been done with bringing the women on campus? How do you know that's not part of it? I haven't heard of one coach never that brings women into meetings to talk about respecting women. Even if those kids don't make it to the league nil has nothing to do with the nfl its all about ones self branding. So he is saying their is alot of temptation in this generation don't let it ruin you bc it almost ruined him. Great example of a head coach doing the right things can't say he isn't.

I saw a video recently after JSU had just won something pretty big (by their standards) and he spent about half the time telling his players how great they all were and the other half telling them not do do any stupid s#!t that night. Asked the room, “What do I always say?” And they all replied something like, “never let a moment  of satisfaction lead to a lifetime of regret.” Pretty solid.

6 hours ago, Hilltop said:

You've never heard the term "plain as white bread"? Has zero to do with race.

I will admit, I'd much rather have Deion that many of these other candidates being mentioned, for his recruiting ability alone, and his ability to get eyes on the program. 

• Plus1 1