Who should our next HC be?

13 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Did you see Cambell go off on the refs? He's got an ugly angry face. Will get the Bo Pelini treatment here out.

That was a very rare outburst from Campbell. He's almost always very calm and collected during games. In fact, the broadcasters during that game last weekend went to lengths to point out how calm he usually is as a coach on the sidelines.

Bo got the angry cam because he was visibly irate way more often than he needed to be and that was absolutely a well-earned reputation. Don't think that'll be an issue with Campbell.

(Also, his team got straight JOBBED on a couple calls, so his anger was well earned IMO).

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Bo got the angry cam because he was visibly irate way more often than he needed to be and that was absolutely a well-earned reputation. Don't think that'll be an issue with Campbell.

I wonder if it's the same level of frustration, just different levels of expression. Like, they both get irate at bad calls, but Bo's means of expressing that are just more overt. 

Just now, knapplc said:

I wonder if it's the same level of frustration, just different levels of expression. Like, they both get irate at bad calls, but Bo's means of expressing that are just more overt. 

That's a fair point. Bo had one of the worst (best?) angry faces I've ever seen. It was like looking at a demon or something. Rageful.

When Matt gets angry he just kinda looks like the quiet kid who finally lost his marbles over something but isn't quite sure how to handle the moment.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

If his name wasn't Deion Sanders he wouldn't even be talked about here. In all the coaching search threads I don't think we've ever had a coach from an HBCU even mentioned, let alone given pages and pages of discussion. 

That’s kind of the point. If his name wasn’t Deion, he also wouldn’t be recruiting A level talent to a D level school. But he is. Because he’s Deion.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

For the love of God….Deion Sanders is not the coach we need or want. Just. Stop. It’s gone beyond an off the wall odd mention and has now ventured into WTF territory for a few posters.

So, just because you’re not liking what you’re reading and don’t want to admit that he’s got a lot of very impressive traits as a candidate means the rest of us are in WTF territory? Ummm, okay.

• TBH 1
28 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I like this breakdown.  If all were to say yes I would be Aranda above both Campbell and Leipold.  I'd still take Urban above all else

Likely all would say yes? no, but f it, its a message board

Of my 'REALISTIC' picks - Aranda leads my list as well.  I like his strong defensive background and yet he's hired proven guys on offense and has developed that side of the ball.  A good defensive mind like his can figure an offense that can take advantage of weaknesses in any D it faces.  He may not have desire to leave Baylor but I hope we consider him and make him an offer that would be hard to turn down.   

Some have thought of Aranda as a risk as he has only been a P5 coach for a short time and unfairly link him to having limited experience like SF.  However, when one reads the wiki article below, I think his experience and more importantly his successes stand out and show him as very capable of being a successful P5 coach - as he is already showing in the Big 12.  He knows the Big 10 and if he brings Grimes as OC  and keeps MJ (since they worked together at LSU) as receivers coach - I think we would be in very good hands.  In my book, he would be a home run hire - lower then Meyer but more realistic. 

I thought the bold part from Wiki was interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Aranda

attending California Lutheran University, and soon enrolled there in an attempt to return to play.[7] While his injuries made it impossible for him to play, he got an opportunity to become a student assistant while an undergraduate, serving as linebackers coach for the Kingsmen from 1996 to 1999. Aranda was also the roommate of Tom Herman.[8][6] Aranda graduated from Cal Lutheran in 1999 with a bachelor's degree in philosophy.[9] He also sought out coaches to talk about the profession, and became enamored with the book Thinking Body, Dancing Mind by sports psychologist Jerry Lynch, who has consulted with numerous championship teams in several sports and whose thinking has influenced coaches such as Phil Jackson and Steve Kerr.[7]

In 2000, Aranda enrolled in graduate school at Texas Tech University and served as a graduate assistant for Texas Tech Red Raiders football from 2000 to 2002 under Mike Leach.[6] While back in Southern California during an offseason break in 2001, Aranda cold-called Lynch and asked for a face-to-face meeting with him in Santa Cruz, about 300 miles from Redlands. In a 2022 ESPN story, Lynch, who normally works with teams instead of individuals, recalled, "There was something about Dave when he contacted me. I felt, through his words, a sense of being genuine, authentic and vulnerable. Those are the three keys that attract me to people. It's almost like, OK, I don't want to let this opportunity go by so I saw it as an opportunity for me to learn about this young man." Aranda spent three days with Lynch, and they have maintained their relationship ever since, with Aranda having written the foreword to Lynch's 13th book, Everyday Champion Wisdom.[7]

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

If his name wasn't Deion Sanders he wouldn't even be talked about here. In all the coaching search threads I don't think we've ever had a coach from an HBCU even mentioned, let alone given pages and pages of discussion. 

Sure, his celebrity gets him in the discussion. His performance has backed him up so far. And when forced to learn about the respect he's earned in the football community, folks realize they can't just write him off as Neon Deion anymore. I hated Sanders as a player. We've both grown up.

It's a good thread. Saying we shouldn't have it because we've never had a coach from an HBCU mentioned is odd. As I pointed out in another thread, this Sanders/Nebraska thing wasn't invented by HB posters. It's all over Google via legitimate sports sites. 

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but sometimes the safe hire is a risk, too. Especially when the safest bets probably aren't coming here. 

We aren't going to hire Sanders and he might opt for a competing offer anyway. But the program that hires him isn't going to be more foolish than Nebraska.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

30 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The research is in!  According to both $PAZZ and award-winning author Debra Devi, "trim" goes back at least 100 years and refers specifically to lady genitalia. While this has little to do with who our next HC should be, it does relate to where our previous HC has been. Circle of life stuff.  

URBAN DICTIONARY

pu**y; usually good.(clean, shaved, not used alot.
yo i heard there gonna be mad trim at that party this week.
by $PAZZ April 1, 2003

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Author and rock musician Debra Devi explores the meaning of a word or phrase found in the blues. Grab a signed copy of Devi’s award-winning glossary The Language of the Blues: From Alcorub to Zuzu (Foreword by Dr. John) at Bluescentric.com. Also available as an eBook.

Trim is slang for female genitalia. In the blues, it’s usually used by a man to express a need or an intention, as in “I’m gonna get me some trim tonight.” This usage has been around since the 1920s.

This meaning for trim is still in use today. It showed up in the 1982 film 48 hours, for example, when Eddie Murphy’s character announced, “I’ve got to get me some trim, man!”

Robert Johnson used “trimmin’” in “Little Queen of Spades” in 1937 to describe a girlfriend’s performance in bed:

Everybody says she got a mojo
‘Cause she been usin’ that stuff
But she got a way trimmin’ down, hoo, fair brown
and I mean it’s most too tough

Song:
“Little Queen of Spades”- Robert Johnson

34A5119E-4FF6-490F-B124-16C7FA4BB115.webp

• Oh Yeah! 1
15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Sure, his celebrity gets him in the discussion. His performance has backed him up so far. And when forced to learn about the respect he's earned in the football community, folks realize they can't just write him off as Neon Deion anymore. I hated Sanders as a player. We've both grown up.

It's a good thread. Saying we shouldn't have it because we've never had a coach from an HBCU mentioned is odd. As I pointed out in another thread, this Sanders/Nebraska thing wasn't invented by HB posters. It's all over Google via legitimate sports sites. 

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but sometimes the safe hire is a risk, too. Especially when the safest bets probably aren't coming here. 

We aren't going to hire Sanders and he might opt for a competing offer anyway. But the program that hires him isn't going to be more foolish than Nebraska.  

Pretty good summary by Sports Illustrated, just as an example…

https://thespun.com/.amp/more/top-stories/look-deion-sanders-getting-mentioned-for-nebraska-job

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

For the love of God….Deion Sanders is not the coach we need or want. Just. Stop. It’s gone beyond an off the wall odd mention and has now ventured into WTF territory for a few posters.

Again, not totally off the wall, and not just a few HB posters. Just some interesting speculation early in the HC hiring cycle.

DeonGoogle.png

• Plus1 1