Who should our next HC be?

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Kalen Deboer could be great, but the assumption is that we could buy him away from his current success at a well-respected and supportive P5 program. 

I know we're obsessed about minimizing risk, but Nebraska needs to look for the Kalen Deboer's when they're at Fresno State, not at Washington. 

And he would have been a great option last year, but some fans would have complained that he hasn't led a big enough program.  There are plenty of viable coaching candidates who don't meet "every" standard our crazy fans have.

• TBH 4

21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And he would have been a great option last year, but some fans would have complained that he hasn't led a big enough program.  There are plenty of viable coaching candidates who don't meet "every" standard our crazy fans have.

No s#!t!

Crazy Husker fans want the next HC to insist on adding "If promise to never look for another job, win a national title, never get mad or upset, not even once, I will give back ever cent I earn while here...with interest" 

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Kalen Deboer could be great, but the assumption is that we could buy him away from his current success at a well-respected and supportive P5 program. 

I know we're obsessed about minimizing risk, but Nebraska needs to look for the Kalen Deboer's when they're at Fresno State, not at Washington. 

Good point.  I was just thinking that about his Fresno stint - he wasn't long there but he showed progress.  Last year would have been perfect timing.  So who is the new Fresno State LIKE candidate.  Is it Chadwell at Costal Carolina or Army's coach or ???  Basically we are looking for the next Devaney type guy. Devaney was an assistant coach at MSU then got the Wyoming gig and showed great progress.  Then made history at Nebraska.   The $8-10 million question is  - will an established, successful P5 coach leave his position to take over a Nebraska program or do we need to go the G5 route to find the next Deboer??

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Good point.  I was just thinking that about his Fresno stint - he wasn't long there but he showed progress.  Last year would have been perfect timing.  So who is the new Fresno State LIKE candidate.  Is it Chadwell at Costal Carolina or Army's coach or ???  Basically we are looking for the next Devaney type guy. Devaney was an assistant coach at MSU then got the Wyoming gig and showed great progress.  Then made history at Nebraska.   The $8-10 million question is  - will an established, successful P5 coach leave his position to take over a Nebraska program or do we need to go the G5 route to find the next Deboer??

I'm fine going either route.  I would be surprised if someone like Aranda is hired. So, I'm guessing it's going to be someone from G5.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm fine going either route.  I would be surprised if someone like Aranda is hired. So, I'm guessing it's going to be someone from G5.

Why would you be surprised with an Aranda, Leipold, Campbell, or another Power 5 coach?  I don't think NU will have to go to a G5 coach, if Trev doesn't want to.  I am not advocating either way, both routes can be successful.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep, the more I think about it the more I think it may be a G5 coach - why?  Ask why would a SUCCESSFUL, EXPERIENCED coach leave his current P5 gig.  There are more reasons for them to stay then to move - esp wt the 12 team playoff coming.  We sure don't want an UNsuccessful, INexperienced P5 coach.  Thus we go after a SUCCESFUL, EXPERIENCED G5 coach who fits the requirements TA has laid out.   

Now, I'll cheer on the choice of an Aranda or one of the "Boarder" coaches wt P5 experience but odds are it leans differently.  Or we get fortunate and a great P5 coach just thinks it is time to move on to a new challenge. 

8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yep, the more I think about it the more I think it may be a G5 coach - why?  Ask why would a SUCCESSFUL, EXPERIENCED coach leave his current P5 gig.  There are more reasons for them to stay then to move - esp wt the 12 team playoff coming.  We sure don't want an UNsuccessful, INexperienced P5 coach.  Thus we go after a SUCCESFUL, EXPERIENCED G5 coach who fits the requirements TA has laid out.   

Now, I'll cheer on the choice of an Aranda or one of the "Boarder" coaches wt P5 experience but odds are it leans differently.  Or we get fortunate and a great P5 coach just thinks it is time to move on to a new challenge. 

You aren't completely off base, but just last year, two successful coaches at all-time top 5 institutions were poached away by other schools. Money talks (yeah, there were probably other factors at play as well, but come on, it's the money more than anything).

If Oklahoma and Notre Dame can be stepping stones, then nothing is off the table.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Ulty said:

You aren't completely off base, but just last year, two successful coaches at all-time top 5 institutions were poached away by other schools. Money talks (yeah, there were probably other factors at play as well, but come on, it's the money more than anything).

If Oklahoma and Notre Dame can be stepping stones, then nothing is off the table.

Great points - which also was a big surprise to many people when it occurred.  

16 minutes ago, Knothole Seats @ 50 Cents said:

Given where we are in the season, I would love to know the percentage of time Alberts is spending talking to prospective candidates vs. the time he is speaking with non-candidates about how they built their programs. 

Both at once.  The whole country knows about the job. Has for a year now as a practical matter.  I’m sure a bunch of contacts preceded  the firing(s).   

But serious negotiations are a waste until the job is actually posted publicly.  Trev has a shorter than 50 list of ‘interesteds’.  But Trev wants a good rebuild plan to compare to each candidate’s plans.  

There are P5 coaches looking.  The turmoil amongst conferences, media mergers, playoff talks, etc etc.  Lots of moving targets and factors to weigh.  Many are coaching into January. Some are not or will move before season’s ending.  

3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Both at once.  The whole country knows about the job. Has for a year now as a practical matter.  I’m sure a bunch of contacts preceded  the firing(s).   

But serious negotiations are a waste until the job is actually posted publicly.  Trev has a shorter than 50 list of ‘interesteds’.  But Trev wants a good rebuild plan to compare to each candidate’s plans.  

There are P5 coaches looking.  The turmoil amongst conferences, media mergers, playoff talks, etc etc.  Lots of moving targets and factors to weigh.  Many are coaching into January. Some are not or will move before season’s ending.  

The job will be filled shortly after the season ends in late November.  Trev isn't going to wait until January.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The job will be filled shortly after the season ends in late November.  Trev isn't going to wait until January.

Agree as long as the new coach isn't coaching in the playoff.  Not sure how it would be handled at that point or if that would change the potential new coaches decision. 

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why would you be surprised with an Aranda, Leipold, Campbell, or another Power 5 coach?  I don't think NU will have to go to a G5 coach, if Trev doesn't want to.  I am not advocating either way, both routes can be successful.

He (and myself and others) would be incredibly surprised because Nebraska football has been a dead-end job for 20 years.  Give these good coaches some respect because they are smart enough to stay away when they have a good thing going already.  How is that so hard to accept?  Just look at records and history.  Actually, since the last few seasons of turmoil with Bo and him getting fired, it hasn't been "the good life" for coaching at Nebraska.  There is enough data from the past 8-10 years to stay away.  

We will get an FCS coach or possible G5 guy though.  Maybe a coordinator like O'brien (who will leave after 3 years).  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1