Who should our next HC be?

10 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I know he meets with TO every Monday morning to get a recap of the game and what he saw since he respects TO's opinion. Leads me to think he values his input.

Coach O = Ed Orgeron

TO = Tom Osborne

Coach O is a great defensive minded coach and a hella good recruiter.

• TBH 1

MJ might emerge as a top candidate but it really depends on how these next 7 games go, doesn't it?  If he can turn this thing around on such short notice with the deck stacked so heavily against him, it would be awkward to explain why he doesn't deserve a shot when Frost got to skate by on pure incompetence for years.  And if he can't turn it around, oh well.  Nothing lost.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1

Not saying I would want him, but I'm surprised there's been very little chatter about Gus Malzahn going back to a P5 program.   He did very good at second fiddle school in the SEC, and is having decent success at UCF, has a good offensive scheme and knows how to recruit to it at a high level.   I would think a P5 school would at least kick the tires on his interest.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, sho said:

Not saying I would want him, but I'm surprised there's been very little chatter about Gus Malzahn going back to a P5 program.   He did very good at second fiddle school in the SEC, and is having decent success at UCF, has a good offensive scheme and knows how to recruit to it at a high level.   I would think a P5 school would at least kick the tires on his interest.

I am a huge Gus fan and Auburn clearly realizes they f#&%ed up firing him.

Who would be MJ's staff?

I would guess BB would stay but not as DC

The RB coach would stay

You would get a new WR coach

QB coach?

Imagine being in MJ's shoes right now...making like 40K a month...with a chance to be making like 400K a month, depending on how things go the next 8 weeks.

10 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Aranda was considered for LSU but probably only floated in rumors for USC.  

Maybe someone smart can start a thread on what it would cost to buyout some of these guys like Aranda, Kiffen, Campbell, Gundy, Fickell, Leipold, Dykes, etc.  That’s why I think it could still be a guy sitting in the sidelines and I would welcome that if it’s Meyer or even Petersen. Rhule could be open at year end too. Don’t sleep on Deion either. 

LMAO. You should check out some of the Tictoks with Prime Time and his Team, in the locker room, before games.  Husker nation would Crap a two ton brick if he was here.

Deion don't want to build here. He has bigger goals on his mind.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Not a bad list to consider.

Watching Gundy up close here in Tulsa, I would be supportive of him.  He's had to play 2nd fiddle to OU in Oklahoma and always finds a way to be competitive.  He finds good recruits which he develops.  I think they may be the favorites to win the Big 12 this year.  There have been several OC & DCs that have cycled through the program and end up going to bigger places - Ohio State got their current DC from Ok State.  Houston's coach was the OC at one time at Ok State.   He has had good OL, RBs and WRs - he doesn't make the QB do everything - he does it right - surround the QB with a good line and talented skill players and that takes the pressure off of the QB.  Several of his QBs have gone to the NFL regardless.  He tends to like an aggressive defense.  He has toyed with leaving OSU several times as there has been friction at times with the admin.  OSU is where he played QB in the 1980s - so I'm not sure he'd leave for that reason as long as he's having success.  With OU and Tx leaving, OSU should be in the driver's seat going forward and be a consistent 1st or 2nd place Big 12 leader. 

• Plus1 2
46 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think you also have to look at the risk of not nailing down a candidate that might be at the top of other teams' list though by saying we're going to see how all 7 of the next games play out.

I don't think we have a choice. Everybody is going to watch how the rest of the season plays out, there's likely to be another couple firings, and then the best candidates will shop the best available openings for Christmas. 

The next seven games might also reveal the desirability of current coaches like Liepold, Campbell, and Aranda. I don't think anyone is waiting on Mickey, but he should be allowed in the mix and will already bring dumpster fire experience. 

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am a huge Gus fan and Auburn clearly realizes they f#&%ed up firing him.

I remember when Gus was a High School coach in nearby Springdale, AR.   He was a big-time winner there - several state championships.  He then came to Tulsa (after 1 year at Ark) and was named assistant HC and OC/QB coach. He did wonders wt his high power offense.  Our son was going to TU during that time and we made it to several of the games - which were very fun to watch.   As noted below - his offense was balanced.   It wasn't just passing.  See wiki note below.    I would be all in favor of him coming to Nebraska.  He's been successful as a HS coach, as a coordinator, as a G5 coach and as a P5 coach.  Auburn clearly blew it like we did wt Frank so many years ago.  

From Wiki: 

Tulsa

During the 2007 season, Malzahn emerged as one of the premier offensive coordinators in the nation, as Tulsa ranked first in the nation in total yards per game, ahead of Texas Tech and Hawaii, and with a more balanced attack than both teams.[9] The Golden Hurricane also ranked 3rd in the nation in passing[10] and led their conference in scoring. Tulsa became the first team in NCAA history to have a 5,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and three 1,000-yard receivers in a single season.[11][12]

After the regular season, Malzahn interviewed for the open position at Arkansas once Nutt resigned in November 2007.[13]

In 2008, Tulsa was once again the nation's most prolific attack, leading with nearly 7,980 total yards of offense averaging 570 yards per game.[14] The Golden Hurricane were ranked second in the nation in scoring behind Oklahoma, scoring over 47 points per game.[15] Tulsa not only ranked second in the nation in scoring that year, but finished with the second highest scoring offense in the history of major college football. The offense was also the nation's most balanced attack, ranking fifth in the nation in rushing[16] and 9th in passing.[17] The Tulsa quarterbacks finished third in the nation in passing efficiency, behind only Oklahoma and Texas.[18]

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Not a bad list to consider.

The problem I have with this list is it's exactly the type of list Mike Riley was on. Now some of these ones have things Riley didn't, like playing in (or even winning!) conference titles. But Doeren and Klieman haven't (early on Klieman though), and Clawson has one division title. Gundy has 3, but only one since 2012. Whittingham has the best resume by far and meets the criteria of that list the best, but I'd be pretty surprised if he was an option for us. Utah is doing well in the Pac-12 which is about to get easier, and he's Mormon so I assume there's a significant pull to stick around there.

That said, every coach is different so I don't totally buy the arguments that hiring a relatively new G5 coach is doomed to have the same outcome as Frost, or a long term college coach who has been solid at a difficult school is Riley 2.0. But these lists just bring back terrible memories of people talking about how underrated Riley was when we hired him.

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The problem I have with this list is it's exactly the type of list Mike Riley was on. Now some of these ones have things Riley didn't, like playing in (or even winning!) conference titles. But Doeren and Klieman haven't (early on Klieman though), and Clawson has one division title. Gundy has 3, but only one since 2012. Whittingham has the best resume by far and meets the criteria of that list the best, but I'd be pretty surprised if he was an option for us. Utah is doing well in the Pac-12 which is about to get easier, and he's Mormon so I assume there's a significant pull to stick around there.

That said, every coach is different so I don't totally buy the arguments that hiring a relatively new G5 coach is doomed to have the same outcome as Frost, or a long term college coach who has been solid at a difficult school is Riley 2.0. But these lists just bring back terrible memories of people talking about how underrated Riley was when we hired him.

Disagree that Riley was on lists like this, hadn't been a hot name in years. Oregon State was consistently mediocre and it looked like he was on the downward slide of his career, that's why he was such a surprise.

Clawson coaches at a program that doesn't even really belong in a P5 conference. It's a small private school with G5-level stadium and facilities with little football tradition. What he's managed to do at Wake is impressive. He'd be a hell of a hire IMO. 

I think Doering or Klieman would be solid hires but I wouldn't be over the moon. Throw Campbell in that same camp. Out of those three I'd lean towards Klieman, with some ace recruiters and our NIL to give him more talent to work with could see him breaking through.

Gundy I'd be stoked about but I'll believe it when I see it. He's used the coaching carousel to get a raise out of Okie State before. 

Agree about Whittingham, he'd certainly be a quality hire but he isn't leaving Utah. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I remember when Gus was a High School coach in nearby Springdale, AR.   He was a big-time winner there - several state championships.  He then came to Tulsa (after 1 year at Ark) and was named assistant HC and OC/QB coach. He did wonders wt his high power offense.  Our son was going to TU during that time and we made it to several of the games - which were very fun to watch.   As noted below - his offense was balanced.   It wasn't just passing.  See wiki note below.    I would be all in favor of him coming to Nebraska.  He's been successful as a HS coach, as a coordinator, as a G5 coach and as a P5 coach.  Auburn clearly blew it like we did wt Frank so many years ago.  

From Wiki: 

Tulsa

During the 2007 season, Malzahn emerged as one of the premier offensive coordinators in the nation, as Tulsa ranked first in the nation in total yards per game, ahead of Texas Tech and Hawaii, and with a more balanced attack than both teams.[9] The Golden Hurricane also ranked 3rd in the nation in passing[10] and led their conference in scoring. Tulsa became the first team in NCAA history to have a 5,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and three 1,000-yard receivers in a single season.[11][12]

After the regular season, Malzahn interviewed for the open position at Arkansas once Nutt resigned in November 2007.[13]

In 2008, Tulsa was once again the nation's most prolific attack, leading with nearly 7,980 total yards of offense averaging 570 yards per game.[14] The Golden Hurricane were ranked second in the nation in scoring behind Oklahoma, scoring over 47 points per game.[15] Tulsa not only ranked second in the nation in scoring that year, but finished with the second highest scoring offense in the history of major college football. The offense was also the nation's most balanced attack, ranking fifth in the nation in rushing[16] and 9th in passing.[17] The Tulsa quarterbacks finished third in the nation in passing efficiency, behind only Oklahoma and Texas.[18]

What was the reason he was ousted from Auburn?   I just brought his name up from watching his UCF team last night.  He seems to be successful everywhere he goes, his offense led them to the Championship as the OC and as the HC, he led them to the NC game.   He seems like he's doing well as a coach, wonder if he'd have the itch to be at a big time program again.

Not sure where he would be at on my list, but I don't think I'd be upset with him being the next HC, as I would with some of the other names constantly bantered about

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

MJ might emerge as a top candidate but it really depends on how these next 7 games go, doesn't it?  If he can turn this thing around on such short notice with the deck stacked so heavily against him, it would be awkward to explain why he doesn't deserve a shot when Frost got to skate by on pure incompetence for years.  And if he can't turn it around, oh well.  Nothing lost.

Depending on how the games go I’d certainly take MJ over a few of the possible candidates that have been mentioned. He’s got to prove himself and so far it’s went pretty good.

• TBH 1