Who should our next HC be?

3 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Trev said earlier this week that he's opening the checkbook for staff. I believe he said something like "we'll have the largest budget in the country for staff" or something like that. Maybe that means he's keeping Mickey and he'll buy him enough support to make up for his lack of experience...or maybe it means he's going for the grand slam hire as that would most certainly be a stipulation for any of them to want to come to Nebraska.

I like either of these paths.

40 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Is Joe Brady going to be out at Carolina too? Because he'd be a great OC.

Hahaha yeah, he'd be pretty great as an OC. And he'll definitely be out at Carolina (sarcasm).

12 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Hearing Mickey talk his model is that championship LSU team, which is a great model. That team had elite talent and was physical. An LSU type model in the B1G west would be very desirable and win a lot of games. 

Insert Joe Brady and we can make it happen. He was the difference maker on that staff.

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

So, Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia were collectively averaging top 15 recruiting rankings before they started winning...and that somehow proves that you have to win first before you can recruit?

Depends on the level of winning you're talking about.  If they were only expected to win enough to be ranked in the teens, then they were winning commensurate with their recruiting.  But they out-performed their recruiting on the field, then started getting recruits commensurate with their on-field performance.

Although I will note that the three examples you gave are all in the SEC, which happens to be very close to a ton a highly-rated recruits and has the reputation of being the best conference in college football.  I'd be curious what your examples are of schools who came from outside the Top 25 in other conferences to be Top 10-caliber teams and look at how their recruiting lined up.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Can you please explain how Aranda is a "grand slam hire."

I think it would be a good hire since Mickey and Busch have a great working relationship with Aranda and Aranda brings a top notch OC with him that goes by the moniker “RVO” reliable violent offense. Jeff Grimes is a proven offensive line developer and runs a desired offense. I think meshing with Mickey here would be a solid hire 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Yeah, I've been making all those same points. So, we're in agreement.

Yep.  I know DS is in his first coaching job, but you get past his image he is a solid coach.  Has assembled a good staff. I like that he also demoted his friend an OC 3 games in this year as the run game was not up to what he wanted.  RGIII mentioned him the other day as a coach to get for those needing one at the P5 level.   I think he scares some boosters at various schools as he is not going to be some dude the AD/boosters will control.  To your post, Urb, DS and few others (unsure who) would immediately move the recruiting needle.

Lets stop with using the 2019 LSU TIgers in any coach speak.  Joe Brady?  Dave Aranda?  Come on.  These guys all road the coattails of one of the best college teams(offensively) ever.  Who wouldn't have success with that team on either side of the ball.  They were also a one hit wonder. 

Again, everyone misses the point with ARanda.  He inherited a well oiled and tooled machine with Baylor.  Rhule spent the time and hard work doing the rebuilding.  Your hiring Callahan all over again.  Callahan led the Oakland Raiders to the Super Bowl with Jon Gruden players and same offensive scheme.  The true guy in that equation was Gruden.  

I understand the hype for Aranda, but he has not proven to me to be a guy who can rebuild a program or shape one into what he wants.  He has taken a good product and not let it slide downhill yet.  West Virginia just beat them, so  I don't know what his value is right now.  Its much easier to take over and manage a product that is already selling well.  Can Aranda come here and build this into a power?  Does he want to come here and do that hard work?  Many don't, and many haven't if recent years should tell us something.   

• Plus1 1

Unsure if Brady would leave Buffalo as QB coach to be our OC.  Who knows tbh.  

My thing is have a list and go after the best guy on that list available or not.  Don't let the talking heads, other coaches, media, pundits, fans, other coaches etc determine if the coach will or won't.  Let the coach turn us down.  

Can we ask perspective coaches to sign NDA's?  Just wouldn't want us to ask coach X first and it doesn't work and then the next coach down the list knows he was not our 1st choice and so on and we get stuck with Cally 2.0.....

42 minutes ago, lo country said:

My thing is have a list and go after the best guy on that list available or not.  Don't let the talking heads, other coaches, media, pundits, fans, other coaches etc determine if the coach will or won't.  Let the coach turn us down.  

Can we ask perspective coaches to sign NDA's?  Just wouldn't want us to ask coach X first and it doesn't work and then the next coach down the list knows he was not our 1st choice and so on and we get stuck with Cally 2.0.....

It’s fun for us all to speculate, but my guess is Trev has almost everything in place for what he wants to do. I don’t think we need to worry about lists anymore it’s either decided or in the final deliberations. Thanksgiving isn’t far away which is good news for our anxiety lol. 

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think it’s understood that coaches and their agents don’t come out and say if they were offered jobs at different schools/NFL clubs, or if they turned down other jobs. It’s just not professional, and gives coaches and their agents a bad reputation in a profession where you never know when you may need another job.  

4 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

We’ll see how the season plays out…but if Mickey finishes the season strong why not entertain lengthening the “audition.” Perhaps a one year contract? This could alleviate the ‘what if’ with Mick.. 

That would be impossible to do, especially with recruiting. Other teams would just use that “one year contract” against Mickey in the recruiting trail. It’s the same reason why nearly all head coaches have continuously 3-4 years remaining on their contracts. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

We’ll see how the season plays out…but if Mickey finishes the season strong why not entertain lengthening the “audition.” Perhaps a one year contract? This could alleviate the ‘what if’ with Mick.. 

-because we are not a try out school

-because no worthwhile recruit would come to an unstable coaching staff. 

- is it you that posted this same thing last week?  There are so many reasons why this is a bad idea and Mickey’s agent will be the first to give you a complete list. 

• Plus1 2