Who should our next HC be?

3 hours ago, huskerpower22 said:

It’s fun for us all to speculate, but my guess is Trev has almost everything in place for what he wants to do. I don’t think we need to worry about lists anymore it’s either decided or in the final deliberations. Thanksgiving isn’t far away which is good news for our anxiety lol. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it’s understood that coaches and their agents don’t come out and say if they were offered jobs at different schools/NFL clubs, or if they turned down other jobs. It’s just not professional, and gives coaches and their agents a bad reputation in a profession where you never know when you may need another job.  

Good points.  With a search company involved (whatever it's called), I think that might already be a guy offered or as you said entering some final stages.  Even if a guy is coaching now, I'd guess agents would still be contacted.  

Does seem like they keep quiet.  The coaching profession, maybe more than some is all about the contacts and who you know.  

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, El Straino said:

Oh criminy, there's a Deion Sanders story on 60 minutes tonight?  A few HB members gonna be salivating/firing up the DVR for that. 

Haha.  If folks don't follow him on social media.  Start.  Some good stuff.

I hated him at FSU, then Atlanta and San Fran.  When he went to the Cowboys, I was like "my guy".  Loved him there!  His autobiography really explains a lot about his "persona" and life.  

• Oh Yeah! 1

I’ve been on the fence about MJ. If he wins some games keep him! If he loses, well we are who we are.  
but now I’m kinda like….man that guy has infectious energy, his guys play hard, he loves N and wants it to work. 

any thoughts on his actual scheming skills, development? The B1G has some smart, old, wise coaches. Will he get out-coached often and will he get the most out of 3* guys? Cuz if you can only get 3* guys, you better get the most out of them and not get out-coached. 

but we don’t want to be NW or Iowa who has a decent season here or there. Can MJ provide that? I think he could if he gets his staff. We still have some baggage to unload and could get better real quick with those new coaches. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, I am I said:

I’ve been on the fence about MJ. If he wins some games keep him! If he loses, well we are who we are.  
but now I’m kinda like….man that guy has infectious energy, his guys play hard, he loves N and wants it to work. 

any thoughts on his actual scheming skills, development? The B1G has some smart, old, wise coaches. Will he get out-coached often and will he get the most out of 3* guys? Cuz if you can only get 3* guys, you better get the most out of them and not get out-coached. 

but we don’t want to be NW or Iowa who has a decent season here or there. Can MJ provide that? I think he could if he gets his staff. We still have some baggage to unload and could get better real quick with those new coaches. 

Maybe we see a guy who is a great recruiter and evaluator of talent.  I guy who can motivate the team and be honest.  An actual CEO type HC.  With all the money we alleged to be throwing at a ew staff can buy a lot of experience.  Leaders don't need to have all the answers, just needs to know where to get them.  

I'm with you on MJ.  Would he be my top choice?  No.  But if he were named as HC I would not be upset in the least.  Now if he were to offer Chadwell the OC spot :D

If he gets us bowling, unsure how you can't offer him the gig tbh.  Bowling means we beat 3 of the following: Illinois, Michigan, Wisky, Minny and Iowa....

18 minutes ago, I am I said:

I love this interview with Mickey. He tells ya all you need to know if you were to hire him. 

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, lo country said:

Haha.  If folks don't follow him on social media.  Start.  Some good stuff.

I hated him at FSU, then Atlanta and San Fran.  When he went to the Cowboys, I was like "my guy".  Loved him there!  His autobiography really explains a lot about his "persona" and life.  

I loved Prime when he went to the Cowboys too. 

I wonder if Deion’s personal contract with Under Armour has any impact with landing Power 5 program jobs. It may not be a big deal with a G5 school, as they can switch, but most Power 5 schools have big shoe and apparel deals with Nike and Adidas leading the way. After UA’s money issues in recent years, the biggest schools they have left are Notre Dame, Maryland, Auburn, South Carolina, Northwrstern, and Texas Tech. Of course Auburn may be looking for a new coach after this season, so that may end up being a good fit. 

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I loved Prime when he went to the Cowboys too. 

I wonder if Deion’s personal contract with Under Armour has any impact with landing Power 5 program jobs. It may not be a big deal with a G5 school, as they can switch, but most Power 5 schools have big shoe and apparel deals with Nike and Adidas leading the way. After UA’s money issues in recent years, the biggest schools they have left are Notre Dame, Maryland, Auburn, South Carolina, Northwrstern, and Texas Tech. Of course Auburn may be looking for a new coach after this season, so that may end up being a good fit. 

Lol Deion was Nike forever before Jackson St. So, the answer to your question is “no.”

Shoe deals have nothing to do with this. But if it did, you wanna talk about shoe deals, give me Deion f#&%ing Sanders all f#&%ing day!

17 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Lol Deion was Nike forever before Jackson St. So, the answer to your question is “no.”

Shoe deals have nothing to do with this. But if it did, you wanna talk about shoe deals, give me Deion f#&%ing Sanders all f#&%ing day!

Deion has his own deal with Under Armour and Jackson State went to UA from Nike when he got there. I think it would be a factor. 

34 minutes ago, bisonwiches said:

New personal realistic rankings:

1. Lane Kiffin

2. DeBoer

3. Mickey

4. Leipold

5. Chadwell

I'd be happy with any of these:

Urban Meyer

Chris Petersen

Dave Aranda

Tom Herman

Todd Monken

Kyle Whittingham

Mark Stoops

Matt Rhule

Mike Gundy

Lane Kiffin

Bret Bielema

Dan Mullen

Which means we likely won't get any of these

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2
20 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'd be happy with any of these:

Urban Meyer

Chris Petersen

Dave Aranda

Tom Herman

Todd Monken

Kyle Whittingham

Mark Stoops

Matt Rhule

Mike Gundy

Lane Kiffin

Bret Bielema

Dan Mullen

Which means we likely won't get any of these

My first would be URB but that won't be happening.  ( I figure if I said that - then some how I will be proven wrong and it will happen:blink:)

The bold are my favorites on the rest.  I'm not all that down on Bill O'Brien either.  Esp after he goes to the Saban school. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Bielema has never been a guy I cared much for but you cannot argue with results - the game wt Ill will be interesting.  I wonder if he'd have an interest and if so WHY?

Trying to get us to page 300

:include

Bielema at IL is interesting.   He’s clearly a good B1G coach and jumping to another conference school would be pretty unprecedented, but isn’t his ceiling somewhat limited in Champaign?