Kyle Whittingham

Mark Stoops

Matt Rhule

Mike Gundy

Lane Kiffin

Bret Bielema

Dan Mullen

Which means we likely won't get any of these

Dude, you mention Tom Herman’s name one more f#&%ing time, and I swear…I mean I guess I’ll just ask you not to do it again. But seriously, get his sorry a$$ name out of your head. He is toxic and would be an embarrassment for NU

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

My first would be URB but that won't be happening.  ( I figure if I said that - then some how I will be proven wrong and it will happen:blink:)

The bold are my favorites on the rest.  I'm not all that down on Bill O'Brien either.  Esp after he goes to the Saban school. 

I dont hate the idea of O'Brien, but whoever hires him is doing so with the risk of him bolting back to the NFL if he has some success. If thats not a worry then I think he would be a solid hire. He took over a Penn St. program that was reeling after the Joe Pa incident and guided them pretty well through that crazy mess.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'd be happy with any of these:

Urban Meyer

Chris Petersen

Dave Aranda

Tom Herman

Todd Monken

Kyle Whittingham

Mark Stoops

Matt Rhule

Mike Gundy

Lane Kiffin

Bret Bielema

Dan Mullen

Which means we likely won't get any of these

I find it interesting you list Mullen. Just curious as to why? The big rag on him by UF fans was his dislike for recruiting. He really doesn’t like to do it according to them and didn’t really work at it.

—edit— I ask because of your consistent position of getting a top notch recruiter as HC

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

I find it interesting you list Mullen. Just curious as to why? The big rag on him by UF fans was his dislike for recruiting. He really doesn’t like to do it according to them and didn’t really work at it.

—edit— I ask because of your consistent position of getting a top notch recruiter as HC

He finished Top 15 every year he was there :dunno

6 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Mullen is interesting to me because he could be a good head guy manager and don’t think he’d break the bank because you’d need money for top assistants and recruiters. I also think he is known for specializing in QBs which we need to get for top WRs MJ would be bringing in. In this case I don’t think you’d need Mullen to be a great recruiter if you have MJ and other key hires. I like he has a lot of SEC experience and think he could compete in the B1G west. Mullen and MJ might be a good complimentary team. But we’d need the other coaches to fit too. The more I look at good teams it’s always more than just the head guy and those head guys always have superb coaching staffs.

Captain Obvious speaking here on who the next HC should be.

1.  It should be the person that can get the team to play fast, physical, and disciplined football that controls both offensive and defensive line of scrimmage. 

2.  It should be a person that can hire quality OC and DC coaches that mirror his desire to control the line of scrimmage on thier perspective side of the ball.

3.  It should be a person smart enough to keep MJ and BB on staff and hire other position coaches that are know for their recruiting acumen.  BB may not be completely ready for a DC position ( I do believe he is close) but he would be a smart keep for ST and DB coach for sure.  I think MJ could thrive as an OC under the right HC, just not quite ready for the NU HC job yet.

3.  Is a person smart enough to realize we need improvement in the strength and conditioning department (see item #1)

Now who the perfect fit for those three items?  Hell if I know, Im just and old retired Army dude that loves the Huskers and want them back on winning season, bowl game every year, conference championship and CFP every few years track.  

Not asking much

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

He finished Top 15 every year he was there :dunno

Yeah but we are talking about recruiting to UF in FLORIDA. Mullen way under performed in recruiting despite those built in advantages. On top of that, he was dismissive of recruiting at best. My UF friends all said the same thing about him after he was fired. Here is just one example: https://www.alligator.org/article/2021/11/counting-stars-dan-mullen-kirby-smart-and-florida-footballs-recruiting-woes

—edit— here is a more recent local paper take: https://www.tampabay.com/sports/gators/2022/10/14/florida-gators-billy-napier-dan-mullen-recruiting-lsu-football/

Note the parts about penalties also, which I know aren’t what we were talking about.

Coaching can't overcome recruiting. You can't win with bad players. You got to have good players to win. At the end of the day, you're playing P5 football. It's not like the kids who give the most effort and the least talented kid's going to win. Who wins on Saturday is who has the most men but also the most talent. You need talent to win.

• Fire 1

Hopefully Leipold and Campbell are crossed off the list. Kansas was mightily overrated and they looked bad against a terrible Oklahoma team, giving up 701 yards of offense. Oklahoma could have scored 70 if not for their three turnovers. Campbell is 0-4 in conference play and is terrible in close games, so that should disqualify him too. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Good interview. He's doing a lot of good things...

I watched that interview last night, and yes he’s doing some great things down at Jackson. It will be interesting if he gets any looks from Power 5 schools. Unfortunately, Deion would be a terrible cultural fit with the State of Nebraska, and that’s not a knock on Deion. 

12 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Deion has his own deal with Under Armour and Jackson State went to UA from Nike when he got there. I think it would be a factor. 

Oh, I see what you're saying. I thought you meant the shoe company dictates who the coach is. In that situation, it sounds like the coach dictated the shoe deal. So, would he want to do that if he came to Nebraska? I don't know. Does it even really matter? I think as long as you're with one of the big 3, you're good. Don't really care which one. I mean, it's not like he'd be bringing in Keds or Hush Puppy or something :D I have always been curious how much pull those shoe companies really have.

• Plus1 1